Alibaba's Jack Ma says can't meet promise to create 1 million U.S. jobs - Xinhua

webfact

Alibaba's Jack Ma says can't meet promise to create 1 million U.S. jobs - Xinhua

2018-09-19T184907Z_1_LYNXNPEE8I21H_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-TECHNOLOGY.JPG

Alibaba Group co-founder and executive chairman Jack Ma attends the WAIC (World Artificial Intelligence Conference) in Shanghai, China, September 17, 2018. REUTERS/Aly Song

(Reuters) - Alibaba <BABA.N> Chairman Jack Ma said the company can no longer meet its promise to create 1 million jobs in the United States due to U.S.-China trade tensions, Chinese news agency Xinhua reported on Wednesday.

Ma had met U.S. President Donald Trump two years ago and laid out the Chinese e-commerce giant's plan to bring one million small U.S. businesses onto its platform to sell to Chinese consumers over the next five years.

"This commitment is based on friendly China-US cooperation and the rational and objective premise of bilateral trade," Ma told Xinhua. "The current situation has already destroyed the original premise. There is no way to deliver the promise."

Ma said on Tuesday that trade tensions between the United States and China could last for two decades and would be "a mess" for all parties involved.

He had also said trade tensions would likely impact Chinese and foreign companies immediately and negatively, while predicting that Chinese businesses may move production to other countries in the medium-term to get around tariffs.

Trump on Monday imposed 10 percent tariffs on about $200 billion worth of imports from China, and threatened duties on about $267 billion more if China retaliated against the U.S. action.

China responded a day later with tariffs on about $60 billion worth of U.S. goods as previously planned, but reduced the level of tariffs that it will collect on the products.

Ma, the charismatic co-founder of Alibaba, announced last week that he would step down in one year to concentrate on philanthropy and education, passing on the reins to trusted lieutenant Daniel Zhang.

(Reporting by Sonam Rai in Bengaluru and Jane Lanhee Lee in San Francisco; Editing by Anil D'Silva)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-20
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"This commitment is based on friendly China-US cooperation and the rational and objective premise of bilateral trade," Ma told Xinhua. "The current situation has already destroyed the original premise. There is no way to deliver the promise."

Ma said on Tuesday that trade tensions between the United States and China could last for two decades and would be "a mess" for all parties involved.

Few days back I was watching some clips from CNN or similar where the pundits were talking about the trade war lasting for 6 months to 1 year and how USA can cope with it.

Ma is talking 20 years. A lot different timespan than wat was talked in the USA.

Even if this active measures phase ends within a year, the damage to trust, Trump's trade war has caused, will last for a long time. 

55 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Few days back I was watching some clips from CNN or similar where the pundits were talking about the trade war lasting for 6 months to 1 year and how USA can cope with it.

Ma is talking 20 years. A lot different timespan than wat was talked in the USA.

Even if this active measures phase ends within a year, the damage to trust, Trump's trade war has caused, will last for a long time. 

That is the difference in all aspects of life. The Chinese think about the next 20 years or even longer, the USA only the coming year, or preferably not even that, only to the next shareholders meeting.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, stevenl said:
1 hour ago, oilinki said:

That is the difference in all aspects of life. The Chinese think about the next 20 years or even longer, the USA only the coming year, or preferably not even that, only to the next shareholders meeting.

I'll offer up an alternative theory...  Ma's saying the effects will last 20+ years in China.  The USA will recover in a much shorter time because we've been getting pissed on for about 30 years.  That's what Trump's trying to stop. (That's not an endorsement of the man, BTW.  Just this one issue.)

The USA can rejigger its habits and be fine on whole.    Sure, there will be winners and losers, as there always is when there is a change in policy.   I'm not sure China can, if they're called out on all the inequitable trade policies.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'll offer up an alternative theory...  Ma's saying the effects will last 20+ years in China.  The USA will recover in a much shorter time because we've been getting pissed on for about 30 years.  That's what Trump's trying to stop. (That's not an endorsement of the man, BTW.  Just this one issue.)

The USA can rejigger its habits and be fine on whole.    Sure, there will be winners and losers, as there always is when there is a change in policy.   I'm not sure China can, if they're called out on all the inequitable trade policies.

Disagree. On top of that, I was putting it in a much bigger perspective, which the USA seems unlike China not to be able to do. That is one of the reasons the USA will not be able to win this war.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

BTW, I'd also point out that the only reason Alibaba grew like it did is because China made it impossible for foreign entities like EBay, Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, Google, and others to compete in the Chinese market.  Those million jobs would probably already (and really) exist in the USA had the playing field been level.

If American e-commerce platforms had fair and equal access to China consumers, then

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Chinese e-commerce giant's plan to bring one million small U.S. businesses onto its platform to sell to Chinese consumers over the next five years. 

wouldn't be giving the US any advantages.

Alibaba convinced the Thai Prayut government to backstab its own e-commerce platform for selling Thai agricultural products online to Chinese and give Alibaba a monopoly. Suddenly Alibaba sees a massive increase in sale of Thai products to China.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:
6 hours ago, impulse said:

BTW, I'd also point out that the only reason Alibaba grew like it did is because China made it impossible for foreign entities like EBay, Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, Google, and others to compete in the Chinese market.  Those million jobs would probably already (and really) exist in the USA had the playing field been level.

If American e-commerce platforms had fair and equal access to China consumers, then

Not just access. 

Look at the e-packet (e-commerce international shipping treaty) program.  I can buy a $10-15 product from China and have it mailed via Post to the USA for about what it costs to send a worthless letter to China by the same route.    In fact, I can have that package mailed from China to Houston (7,500 miles) for about the same as it costs to mail the same package from Dallas to Houston (200 miles). 

How is that fair to US e-commerce vendors?   Yet, that's our trade negotiators' legacy to date.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

And if the U.S can't meet the promise of admitting x amount of Chinese international students?

That's x amount times 20.000 euros/year paying customers. I'm sure Europe can offer deals for these x amount of Chinese students. 

Just now, sukhumvitneon said:

You don't understand the motives of Chinese international students very well then

They all come to our home countries to learn how we do things in the west. They try to learn our secret tricks of sciences and technology. It's like spying out in the open.

In other words, education. 

@impulse @Srikcir your analysis is correct about the unfair subsidies [eye-opening link].  But then again, the American consumer doesn't want to pay higher prices anymore.

In China, being clever is being seen as a good thing.  And if you can get over on someone [and get away with it], you should.  I cannot blame them for taking advantage of a sweet deal.  But how long can it last?

I suppose China could always negotiate trade deals with Brazil or Canada.

Edit:  I noticed over the past year a bias towards Chinese listings on eBay.  Now I know why.

Edited by 4evermaat

Just now, oilinki said:

They all come to our home countries to learn how we do things in the west. They try to learn our secret tricks of sciences and technology. It's like spying out in the open.

In other words, education. 

lol.  And you live in Thailand?  With highly restrictive land/capital laws for foreigners?

Getting a degree from a western university is a means to an end.   It's not about the education so much as a legal means to move to the US or another western country.  What are the benefits of moving to the US as a Chinese national with a view to acquire assets compared to China?  Take a look at the housing market in Vancouver Canada and get back to me.

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

@impulse @Srikcir your analysis is correct about the unfair subsidies [eye-opening link].  But then again, the American consumer doesn't want to pay higher prices anymore.

Excellent link!  

If you ever want to delve further into the debacle, go to YouTube and look for videos on "Drop Shipping" via AliExpress.  Another eye opener...

Edit:  I'd also point out that e-commerce vendors from the USA aren't the only ones being hosed by the e-packet agreements.  Thai online vendors are taking it in the shorts, too.  They can't compete internationally.  Nobody can on the bread and butter <2Kg shipments...  And there are similar discounts for packages bigger than 2Kg.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

You have done business with Chinese to know how they think?

let me tell you, Chinese company would hardly ever refund or fix faulty products being well aware customer will not return , even when it’s a long , well established customer .

so much for 20 year thinking ?

• Sad 1