Outragous Fee to change name at PEA.

Peterw42

1 hour ago, KKr said:

(account name must match PEA subscriber)

I'm not 100% sure what PEA subscriber means but I have direct debit from my bank account for a PEA account that's not on my name (it's on the house owners name). It took a good while for this to be done but it works fine, same with my water bill btw.

• Like 1

Are PEA are a state monopoly by any chance? If so, that might explain a lot. If the energy market in LOS were opened up to competition like it has been in the UK, for example, there is surely no way in which they could continue to get away with levying charges for name changes if their competitors were prepared to do this for free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'd just leave it as it is.

My best guess is that the system doesn't actually allow name changes directly, so the process goes something like:-

• "Disconnect" the supply to the existing name.
  • Refund  2k Baht meter deposit to existing name.
  • Charge new name meter deposit of 2k Baht.
  • "Connect" the supply to the new name.

Of course, knowing PEA (or any Thai organisation) when something unusual is asked it all goes belly-up. It would not surprise me at all if the supply was really disconnected then reconnected the requisite 2 working days later.

You are spot on, a friend of ours recently had his tarif reduced as his supply was changed from “ temporary” to “permanent”

They required him to pay a new deposit for the meter even though it wasn’t changed.

Several weeks later the original meter deposit they were holding was refunded.

Try and get your head around that one.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'd just leave it as it is.

My best guess is that the system doesn't actually allow name changes directly, so the process goes something like:-

• "Disconnect" the supply to the existing name.
  • Refund  2k Baht meter deposit to existing name.
  • Charge new name meter deposit of 2k Baht.
  • "Connect" the supply to the new name.

Of course, knowing PEA (or any Thai organisation) when something unusual is asked it all goes belly-up. It would not surprise me at all if the supply was really disconnected then reconnected the requisite 2 working days later.

This is pretty much correct (but can be confusing).   IF the existing name person goes WITH you to change name or you have a POA, then you can change name.  BUT, the 2000 baht is a DEPOSIT that new owner must pay. Even if old owner says you can use his deposit PEA will want YOU to pay 2000 baht and the old deposit will be refunded to existing name   ow ner ( in about a week ! )  Confusing ?  this is how they do it  ?

Keep in mind that the 2000 baht is a deposit that will be returned to you when you sell or transfer (not a fee)

And yes,  i personally have been through this 

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I get that after Crossy's explanation. The girl at PEA called it a "fee to change name" which confused the issue, should have mentioned its a deposit.

yeah, with all your outrage over the "outrageous fee" you now understand that it is a DEPOSIT.   of course it

is those thais fault that can't make things clear.      

will some day anyone ever just admit it was a case of "lost in translation" ??  

Edited by rumak

50 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... sounds way OTT, you positive it was electric? Cause I definitely recall the water-counter to have been around 5k some 9 years ago, refund for electric-meter was just around 850.-  back then ...

20180922.thumb.jpg.410462d7c602fe9e4fd5799fedeac289.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

At the same time you asked ? Or seperate visit different day ? If it was the first one "save face" if it was the second one leave it as it is dont bother.

Sorry , but when i was at the PEA office to do basically the same thing I was at first confused.  I speak thai but my thai SO was also there.   When the 2000 baht "fee" was mentioned I ASKED what that was for .  After some explanation I understood that it was a deposit.   Just because a thai person goes to do something does not mean that they will ask

the appropriate questions.    I take full responsiblity for how things turn out, what is understood, etc.   I have made

mistakes which help me learn....and learn also not to blame the xxxxx way things are done here.  End of rant  ?

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Keep the receipt...don't you get the money back when (and if) you ever change the name to a different owner 

yep, keep those receipts..... deposits with utilities are returned (after a while)

27 minutes ago, topt said:

20180922.thumb.jpg.410462d7c602fe9e4fd5799fedeac289.jpg

... excellent performance bill-wise, just can't read <deleted> ...

However, fine with me, then obviously way different fees / deposit or combination of both are/have been charged in different places here ... I paid 4.7xx.- for water and 850.- or 870.- for electric connections back in 2009 up here in Phayao Centrale but won't be looking for the invoices now ... :wink:

Edited by jollyhangmon

2 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I downloaded it after reading the previous thread. Now I can't login, it wants me to register, only to tell me the phone number is already registered - frustrating.

Is anyone else having problems?

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

I had similar problems. You need a Thai ID number.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Which, when I tried to install it came up with"NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY"'. I asked the lady in PEA and she suggested it was my THAI phone. TIT

I also received same message on my iPhone. which is connected to the Australian Store. I created another login for the Thai App Store and just switch between if needed. The PEA app downloaded successfully from the Thai store and works if I am connected to the Australian store. Just need to switch stores to upgrade.

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Are PEA are a state monopoly by any chance? If so, that might explain a lot. If the energy market in LOS were opened up to competition like it has been in the UK, for example, there is surely no way in which they could continue to get away with levying charges for name changes if their competitors were prepared to do this for free.

laughable..how much does the average Kwh cost in the UK...I'll bet it is quite a bit more than the 4 THB we pay in LOS. 

I had similar problems. You need a Thai ID number.

I have already set it up using my wife's ID number. It's in her name anyway. The problem is that I can't get back in. I can't see a way to login, only register- which then tells me it's already registered.

9 hours ago, KKr said:

that 2.000 Baht is a deposit as I understood the PEA office.
keep the receipt, and when you transfer the apartment / electricity in another' name, you can get the money back.

So this thread and all the anti comments are predicated on a false assumption.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OJAS said:

What a load crap. I worked for a state energy authority in Australia which as owned and run by the state government. Very reliable and reasonably priced power. Then they opened it up to "competition". Thousands of people lost their jobs and Australia is one of the highest power costs in the world. And power shortages and to get much worse because the "competition" doesn't want to spend money on new stations which take 10 years from concept to producing power. The government sold off 1 older power station to "competition" for $1million. That station has just been valued at $55million. And the "competition" are certainly not lowering their power prices on such a windfall.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I have already set it up using my wife's ID number. It's in her name anyway. The problem is that I can't get back in. I can't see a way to login, only register- which then tells me it's already registered.

Oh ok. I only rent so not in my name. I just managed to find a Thai ID number. I have not logged out so don't know if I can get back in or not. I mainly wanted it for this month as I go os the day after bill arrives and don't want my power cut off while away.

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Outrageous is right ! I suggest purely out of interest, ask a 'Thai" to go ask the same question, just for comparative purposes of course. ?

That way you'll have a clearer picture and a route forward.

I know a Thai who went to ask the same question and got the same answer. 2,000 THB.

That Thai was Madam Moon, my wife and it's also the reason why the account remains in the name of her dead brother! 

Thai pragmatism at its finest.

PEA are a very expensive organisation I had to pay 230,000 baht for 6 poles and a 30 KVA single phase transformer 4 of the poles are on private land but that hasn’t stopped them using 3 poles for other electricity users even though the poles had only been up 6 weeks . If I am right each pole cost 9,500 baht . I also pay a maintenance fee for the transformer each month . I wanted total solar power but the system would have cost me just under a million baht which is crazy .

On 9/22/2018 at 5:20 AM, KKr said:

that 2.000 Baht is a deposit as I understood the PEA office.
keep the receipt, and when you transfer the apartment / electricity in another' name, you can get the money back.

This is exactly what was told when we changed the name on my Condo, I still have the receipt, with a note REFUND............we shall see - if I ever sell.

To clarify for those who may not (or cant be bothered to) read the whole topic.

The title of this topic is a little mis-leading now as it became apparent (later) that the 2000b charge was not the fee for a "name charge" but as a result of the FREE name change there would be a change of ownership there would be a 2000 baht deposit required.

Many of the initial responses were based on the premis of a 2000b charge just for a name change.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 1:08 PM, eisfeld said:

I'm not 100% sure what PEA subscriber means but I have direct debit from my bank account for a PEA account that's not on my name (it's on the house owners name). It took a good while for this to be done but it works fine, same with my water bill btw.

and the PEA office made change the subscriber name (missus with same family name) to match my bank account.
but all's well that ends well. 
(if only she had not lost her receipt ????????????)

Edited by KKr

On 9/22/2018 at 1:13 PM, OJAS said:

UK 20 P ~ 8 Baht vs.~ 4 Baht in Thailand per kWh.  
privatization might give some unexpected results. 
I'd prefer to keep the deposit receipt.

Edited by KKr

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I suspect that's the refundable deposit they want you to pay, not the cost to type your name.

That's what has been stated a couple times now in this thread, CharlieH even posted a summary for "people who can't be bothered" to read the thread ????