Phuket police transferred amid extrajudicial killing probe

rooster59

Phuket police transferred amid extrajudicial killing probe

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1537614535_1-org.jpg

The relatives today accused police of excessive force what they called the extrajudicial killing of Chitnupong Kherjan from Karon on Tuesday. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Nine officers have been ordered to transfer out of the province within the next 24 hours, pending an investigation into the shooting dead a man who ran a checkpoint in Cherng Talay early Tuesday morning.

The move comes after relatives angered by shooting paraded his coffin today (Sept 22) in protest of the killing.

The man, Chitnupong Kherjan from Karon, was shot dead in his pickup truck near the Tonhorm Restaurant on Srisoonthon Rd in Cherng Talay at around 1:30am.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-transferred-amid-extrajudicial-killing-probe-68728.php#atK3xmppVil4ITvd.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-22

This would not even be news in the US where cops routinely shoot and kill suspects who run or drive away....legally it's called 'resisting arrest' which sort of conveys the idea that the suspect is punching hell out of the cops....

I don't know what the law is regarding this in Thailand. I do feel that it is preferable for the suspect to escape rather than be gunned down. So I don't know what to think in this situation, but some learnings from the US are that whenever this happens, the dead victim is always smeared and there is always a lingering suspicion of planted evidence. 

A mate of mine here in Thailand was once put into a situation like this. His wife loaned his pick up to one of her friends. He ran a police checkpoint and was fired on 5 times as the cops pursued him. It turned out the reason he didn't stop was that he had an illegal gun in the car. He didn't use the gun, so I think that maybe shooting at the pick up was excessive force. My poor mate arrived back from a business trip and had no car. It had been impounded by the police who were demanding 200,000 to release it to him. True story.

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

This would not even be news in the US where cops routinely shoot and kill suspects who run or drive away....legally it's called 'resisting arrest' which sort of conveys the idea that the suspect is punching hell out of the cops....

I don't know what the law is regarding this in Thailand. I do feel that it is preferable for the suspect to escape rather than be gunned down. So I don't know what to think in this situation, but some learnings from the US are that whenever this happens, the dead victim is always smeared and there is always a lingering suspicion of planted evidence. 

A mate of mine here in Thailand was once put into a situation like this. His wife loaned his pick up to one of her friends. He ran a police checkpoint and was fired on 5 times as the cops pursued him. It turned out the reason he didn't stop was that he had an illegal gun in the car. He didn't use the gun, so I think that maybe shooting at the pick up was excessive force. My poor mate arrived back from a business trip and had no car. It had been impounded by the police who were demanding 200,000 to release it to him. True story.

I think that shooting the pickup was a waste of bullets...should have put one through the skull of the driver with the illegal weapon. Anyone carrying illegal weapons is a menace to other people.

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Thank goodness we are NOT in the US where trigger happy cops act with impunity every day.

It should be news- bubbas are out of control. Taking off is hardly 'resisting arrest' it's fleeing the scene.

“We are protesting my son’s death because this killing by police is extraordinary. I do not understand why police did it,” Mr Arun said.

Here's a clue, dad:
Police reported that firearms and ammunition were found in Chitnupong’s car, and that they opened fire only after he raised his gun at them. 

They are only being transferred because of concerns about possible Vigilantism against them and their family's.  High Command don't give a toss about one dead scumbag and there will be no 'investigation'.   I've been here long enough to know how things are 'dealt with'.

17 hours ago, Mises said:

One of many:

I don't consider this a clean kill. 

In my opinion, this could have been handled a lot better, still with minimum threat to the officer's safety. 

Despite clearly being able to see no weapon in his hands, the office still maintained lethal force as his primary option to force compliance. 

Shows a real lack of either training and / or judgement in what was not a "split second" decision, as he had some time to assess and reassess the threat.