Pattaya’s hotel performance rebounds as EEC drives positive market sentiment

rooster59

15 hours ago, BestB said:

What examples would you like? Would you like me to take you to hotel and knock on each door ? Or you can always open day agoda and see availability and prices.

wherr are all the visitors staying? What visitors ? Pattaya is empty, restaurants empty, bars empty, clubs empty, massage shop empty .

the only huge numbers are on the paper from TAT

and finally I own a hotel, last year September I was at 70%, this year lucky to be 20%, sister hotel same figures, 2 guest houses near by, 1 room with guest. 

A good friends owns a market, not a market stall but the entire market , and vendors are cancelling their places , not enough sales 

Your assessment appears quite accurate. I have a friend who works for an upscale spa of a four star hotel in Ao Nang. Both the hotel and the spa are aggressive marketers. But at this time, the hotel has substantial vacancy and my friend's hours of massage are down to an average of 2 hours per day (per 12 hour shift).

TAT's numbers appear to be 'pie in the sky'.

I'll take anecdotal numbers any day over government numbers.

11 minutes ago, neeray said:

Your assessment appears quite accurate. I have a friend who works for an upscale spa of a four star hotel in Ao Nang. Both the hotel and the spa are aggressive marketers. But at this time, the hotel has substantial vacancy and my friend's hours of massage are down to an average of 2 hours per day (per 12 hour shift).

TAT's numbers appear to be 'pie in the sky'.

I'll take anecdotal numbers any day over government numbers.

So what??

One hotel in a place with many less expensive hotels that if you ask many have not even heard of.

It is like the people in Pattaya who claim no one is coming because they have a small lousy bar amongst a 1000 bars in the city. 

Your friends hotel/comments are not indicative of what is happening. 

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So what??

One hotel in a place with many less expensive hotels that if you ask many have not even heard of.

It is like the people in Pattaya who claim no one is coming because they have a small lousy bar amongst a 1000 bars in the city. 

Your friends hotel/comments are not indicative of what is happening. 

You're wrong !!!

She is infinitely familiar with the whole of Ao Nang-Krabi. I should know as I spent a month there with her.

It is the same in the entire area. If you are not there, you are not qualified to make such statements.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BestB said:

With booking.com bookings where at least 50% are not genuine ,you may find your friend will be able to get a room closer to November .

but yes high season may well get busy, but for how long? 

I'd love to book a hotel through Booking.com but they won't accept my Unionpay card foisted on me by BKK bank.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:
33 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Well ALL the ones I've tried in BKK do.  I am trying to book two nights next week for my 76th birthday travelling from Pattaya.

In filters click on no cc or use Traveloka where you can pay at 7-11

The hotels that I want, always want a CC on booking. Maybe I could set a filter, but then I get hotels I do not want. Funny how that works. Oh one which I use told me don't use booking - give us a call. They will give me a better rate - obviously they pay something to booking.com for the service. Interesting

All i can add, thats not aTAT Dream BS is that over the last 12 months ive been to CM, and basically there was Me, a stray Dog, and a group of bored Policemen most nights, same time 12 years  ago the same road it was full.Pats much the same story, yet where im based near Krabi there seems to be a steady stream of Singapore/Malay all year round. TAT reminds me of Constructive Accountancy  and should be Audited by an independent body to find the truth about calling Arrivals TOURISTS.! I would love to know where these millions stay.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The hotels that I want, always want a CC on booking. Maybe I could set a filter, but then I get hotels I do not want. Funny how that works. Oh one which I use told me don't use booking - give us a call. They will give me a better rate - obviously they pay something to booking.com for the service. Interesting

What is so interesting ?

17 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

All i can add, thats not aTAT Dream BS is that over the last 12 months ive been to CM, and basically there was Me, a stray Dog, and a group of bored Policemen most nights, same time 12 years  ago the same road it was full.Pats much the same story, yet where im based near Krabi there seems to be a steady stream of Singapore/Malay all year round. TAT reminds me of Constructive Accountancy  and should be Audited by an independent body to find the truth about calling Arrivals TOURISTS.! I would love to know where these millions stay.

Well, they must not be near you how absurd.

I too have been to CM quite a bit.

Most evenings especially weekends the old city and moat route are so packed it take take 40 minutes to get from one place to the next.

People everywhere especially at the popular markets. And don't need to even mention the hordes of Chinese in and arond Nimman and the malls.

And those bored cops usually have 10 people on motorbikes stopped.

CM has been very busy you obviously have no clue or truly have not been here recently.

• Thanks 1

Most evenings especially weekends the old city and moat route are so packed it take take 40 minutes to get from one place to the next.
People everywhere especially at the popular markets. And don't need to even mention the hordes of Chinese in and arond Nimman and the malls.
CM has been very busy you obviously have no clue or truly have not been here recently.

Compared to when, even my friends who have iived there 20 years say its down. Admittedly dont go near areas where Chins N poor folks go, money Hotels n Fine Dining places have taken a big loss.Pats Monger Hotels and associated venues seem to get by , but you can walk in the Hilton n book.. Same in Hua Hin , dead..!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Traffic jams have very little to do with tourists as tourists do not drive. Every month there are more and more cars in the roads which creates traffic jams it does not mean each and every person in that car stays in hotel or eats or does any kind of spending 

• Like 2

Im just saying what ive found, some may disagree. Now in my 26th year, no doubt in my first year my observations  would have been questioned.I just say what i see, still open to others views though.One that will never change. Everyday Thai Foods bloody awfull sugary slop. !....:partytime2:

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Traffic jams have very little to do with tourists as tourists do not drive. 

HAHA.  Some do.  I can only assume you have not been to these places as they are full of Sonthaews, tuk tuks, big and small buses and vans and motorbike rentals.

People are on this site all the time complaining about the traffic mess created by these tourist transports.

But I guess you think there are only local people on the roads in these cities...…..OK...

On 9/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, BestB said:

5%

On 9/23/2018 at 3:23 PM, simoh1490 said:

What percentage of your guests are Chinese?

There is your problem.

The Chinese are now the market whether you like it or not.

A friend who has run a small hotel for the last 20 years in Pattaya has never been busier. She gets the "Chinese" who are actually mainly from Macau, HongKong and South Korea in big groups. They usually come during the week, and this works out well for her as she always has Thais on the weekends.

She actually prefers these "Chinese", they handle their grog better than the farangs, are much easier going and complain less and tend to rent a higher standard of female company. They go after the more polite, whiter skinned girls as opposed to the darker skinned tattoed midgets that the farangs like, and generally send them on their way after doing the deed.

If you are relying on farangs for your business you will fail. Pattaya is too dirty now, the farangs like a clean beach and a more natural setting. That is the past. You have to move with the times in business, not stubbornly hope for a return of the past.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Your hords of Chinese Tourists driving i suppose.Even the Hua Hin ferry has shut down.Anyway its a hard time for the trade.⚖️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hard only if you dont adjust your business model to market conditions. 

Pattaya is busy, just not busy with farangs, that is in the past now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

There are posters even today in this thread who lament the fact the beer bars are so empty and cry that tourism in Pattaya is dead, what more can be said, that's a very dated business model.

Yes, with less farangs going to beer bars who will marry the "bargirls" now? The Asian men like a hooker as much as anyone, but no way they marry them, it just isnt the done thing. It amazes me also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

HAHA.  Some do.  I can only assume you have not been to these places as they are full of Sonthaews, tuk tuks, big and small buses and vans and motorbike rentals.

People are on this site all the time complaining about the traffic mess created by these tourist transports.

But I guess you think there are only local people on the roads in these cities...…..OK...

Rental bikes? And you determined this how exactly ?

1 hour ago, Pete1980 said:

There is your problem.

The Chinese are now the market whether you like it or not.

A friend who has run a small hotel for the last 20 years in Pattaya has never been busier. She gets the "Chinese" who are actually mainly from Macau, HongKong and South Korea in big groups. They usually come during the week, and this works out well for her as she always has Thais on the weekends.

She actually prefers these "Chinese", they handle their grog better than the farangs, are much easier going and complain less and tend to rent a higher standard of female company. They go after the more polite, whiter skinned girls as opposed to the darker skinned tattoed midgets that the farangs like, and generally send them on their way after doing the deed.

If you are relying on farangs for your business you will fail. Pattaya is too dirty now, the farangs like a clean beach and a more natural setting. That is the past. You have to move with the times in business, not stubbornly hope for a return of the past.

While a nicely put out rant, fact is 1 million less Chinese arrived in the last month as confirmed in another article . So there goes your entire arguement.

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

While a nicely put out rant, fact is 1 million less Chinese arrived in the last month as confirmed in another article . So there goes your entire arguement.

Despite that 1 million, the growth rate of Chinese tourists remains positive YOY, the previous  rate of growth was unsustainable.

30 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Despite that 1 million, the growth rate of Chinese tourists remains positive YOY, the previous  rate of growth was unsustainable.

Firstly this topic is not about general growth , secondly just because someone jumps off the cliff does not mean everyone else should follow and lastly , if someone owns a bar, not much they can do besides turning it into a durian stall to get the Chinese and if someone owns a hotel without a contract with Chinese tour company , Chinese will not just start to walk in.

not much different to Russian craze, having Russian menu and signs in Russian , did not bring in more Russians.

Edited by BestB
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BestB said:

1 million less?

The article actually stated that 867,461 Chinese tourists visited Thailand in August 2018, a drop of 11.77% when compared with August last year. So, that makes about 115,000 fewer. Bad, but nowhere near your '1 million less' figure.

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/26202/chinese-mainland-tourists-to-thailand-drop-11-percent-in-august

42 minutes ago, dabhand said:

1 million less?

The article actually stated that 867,461 Chinese tourists visited Thailand in August 2018, a drop of 11.77% when compared with August last year. So, that makes about 115,000 fewer. Bad, but nowhere near your '1 million less' figure.

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/26202/chinese-mainland-tourists-to-thailand-drop-11-percent-in-august

867000 -1 million, same same, moral of the story is the same 

ps wrong article , go few days prior where 700 something thousand cancelled their bookings 

Edited by BestB