Budget 2 week visa run advice?

I've been studying up on visa run options here, and I have another question for the experts:

What might you recommend for a modest budget yet enjoyable two-week visa run?

I've got time to explore and am new to SE Asia (Thailand my first stop, but I love it and plan at least a few more months here),

and racing to the Border in a bus or van, just to come right back, is not my idea of fun.

I'd rather spend a little more money and time, and have a great adventure, and I'm happy to take a couple of weeks doing it.

Since I can jump on the bus and get to the CNX airport for 20 baht in 20 minutes, flying does have its appeal... but I've got to watch my budget too...

What cities/itineraries might you good people recommend for someone that does try to stay on a Backpacker's budget?

(USA passport)

Edited by YogaVeg

From CNX there are direct flights to Ho Chi Min City (aka Saigon) in Vietnam, and ChangSha in China, and Kuala Lumpur in Malasia.

Flights are just over 1 hour and cost 1,000-2,500bht depending on the deal (Vietjet to HCMC, Air Asia to China/Malasia)

If you're a Brit, free 14 day visa waiver on arrival Vietnam, 1,000bht VISA for China (from Consulate on the moat), free 90 day visa waiver on arrival for Malasia.

If you're new to Asia, China may be a step too far for you at the moment.

Vietnam, there are so many English speakers and it's amazing (mid-range hotel with breakfast around 600bht/night, backpacker 'pods' from 200bht/night).

Ooops, just noticed you have a USA passport, China is out Americans are charged 4,000bht/VISA, Vietnam I think $25 on arrival.

You might like to try the Philippines, no direct flight (change at KUL) so double the flight charges but 30 day VISA waiver on arrival, and I believe DurianRiders Vegan group are in Davro at the moment, which you might like due to your 'nic'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

could fly to hcmc which i would recommend to visit anyway, explore a bit of vietnam, tunnels beaches whatever you like. then travel through cambodia, go see angkor wat and stuff and back into thailand via land. only probs with that is you would use up one of your visa exempts for next year. plenty of places to stay and eat on a budget and also travel on a budget. 

there used to be a bus, maybe there still is, from hcmc to hanoi that you pay one price and can get on and off the bus where you like to explore vietnam end up in hanoi, maybe go to halong bay and fly back into thailand from there

you're in a lucky situation.

enjoy exploring wherever you choose to go

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

could fly to hcmc which i would recommend to visit anyway, explore a bit of vietnam, tunnels beaches whatever you like. then travel through cambodia, go see angkor wat and stuff and back into thailand via land. only probs with that is you would use up one of your visa exempts for next year.

This is a good plan - but if he makes a stop at the Thai Consulate in HCMC or Hanoi, he could get a Tourist Visa there (much better than applying in Phnom Penh), which would remain valid for entry to Thailand for 90-days from it's issuance.  That would give 60 days on entry and save his land-border visa-exempts - assuming he may need another in the calendar-year of his return.

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend getting the visa in Hanoi and then going up to Sapa or getting it in Vientiane and then going up to Vang Vieng and then Luang Prabang. Both options very budget friendly.

Forget HCMC - it's a crime-infested shithole.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It is difficult to recommend a budget trip for someone you do not know. One possibility is the old Northern Laos loop. This was popular with adventure tourists way back in the 1950s, but later became too dangerous, and has not really recovered its popularity since Laos opened up again about 30 years ago. Here is a modern description of a possible route: http://adventurevacationtrip.com/northern-laos-loop-1-introduction

The link describes doing the trip by motorcycle, but there is public transport. If the river levels are high enough (which they are at this time of year) some trips on the Mekong river are possible (cheap, uncomfortable and scenic). Of course, after Vientiane (where you would get the visa) you would return to Chiang Mai from Nong Khai. When I was younger, I loved this kind of trip. It is pretty cheap, but do not expect much Western food outside of the major tourist centers (of which there are few).

EDIT: Also, starting from Chiang Mai, I would not start the trip in Vientiane. Look at https://www.backpackerswanderlust.com/chiang-mai-luang-prabang/ for some good ways to start your trip.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I would definitely recommend getting the visa in Hanoi and then going up to Sapa or getting it in Vientiane and then going up to Vang Vieng and then Luang Prabang. Both options very budget friendly.

In your opinion, HCMC is anything but!

9 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

HCMC is not a crime infested shit hole at all.

if you prefer going to Vang Vieng to hcmc then well each to their own

14 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

HCMC is not a crime infested shit hole at all.

if you prefer going to Vang Vieng to hcmc then well each to their own

Robberies of tourists are very common, scam taxi drivers are everywhere and half the time you won't get the correct change back from a shop. It is truly a den of thieves. Maybe you don't see this if you stay in five star hotels and book package tours but that's not the kind of trip the OP has in mind.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the backpacker aspect of Vang Vieng but it seems that is exactly what the OP is looking for.

Edited by edwardandtubs

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pals have never had any problems and don't use taxi's.

HCMC has an excellent cheap bus network and an app to track all the buses in real time.

Why would you use a taxi?

Do these buses still run when the bars are closing?

The OP is a newbie with no idea where he's going or what he's doing - exactly the kind of person who gets scammed by a taxi driver or robbed outside a backpacker bar.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Depending on how comfortable the "backpack" is...Sri Lanka (Colombo) can be a fun trip/adventure.  With a stopover in Kuala Lumpur on the way back, you can get your visa at either country.  Fairly affordable change of scenery.   I took the train from Khon Kaen to Kuala Lumpur once(stopped in Bangkok) for a change from airport scenery, it was a great experience. 

Good luck, travel from Thailand is cheap...endless possibilities to explore.

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Robberies of tourists are very common, scam taxi drivers are everywhere and half the time you won't get the correct change back from a shop. It is truly a den of thieves. Maybe you don't see this if you stay in five star hotels and book package tours but that's not the kind of trip the OP has in mind.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the backpacker aspect of Vang Vieng but it seems that is exactly what the OP is looking for.

From a poster who has NEVER entered Vietnam for any reason.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pals have never had any problems and don't use taxi's.

HCMC has an excellent cheap bus network and an app to track all the buses in real time.

Why would you use a taxi?

I prefer taxis, can go when and where I want and can have the driver stop for a cold one on the way. However, I have never been ripped-off by a taxi in HCMC. 

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

You must have 'ngay tho' tattooed across your forehead. While I won't deny there are robberies and scams, as there are everywhere; Vietnam is certainly not a, "den of thieves."

Of course, the gullible are victims everywhere. If you are inexperienced it can be tricky.

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

dark simply replied to the comment that said hcmc was a shit hole by saying it is anything but that.

if anything he was defending the country

OK,

I get that.

I will say I think  he was far to heavy on economy of words to express his point.

To each his own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Very true indeed! I have travelled almost all over Asia and HCMC is the Satans Anus of this part of the world. I would estimate that 90 % out of all money transactions included a scam in one way or another. Taxi drivers are so bad I nearly attacked one physically. Do yourself a favour - Dont go there!!!

One the other hand - Northern Laos loop was mentioned above. And that is a fantastic place to go. Take a bus from CM to Chiang Khong. Then the boat from there to Luang Prabang, not the rapid one, the slow overnight one. Spend a few days in Luang Prabang, then you can travel on to Phonsavan (Plain of Jars) and spend a day or two there, then to Vang Vieng if you like and spend a couple of days there, then Vientiane. Spend some days in the Laotian capital, get a tourist visa for Thailand and your ready to go back again. Cross over to Nong Khai and take a bus to Udon Thani - from where you can take bus or plane directly back to CM. You can also spend time in Nong Khai and Udon of course. I like both places... 

Thank you everybody, I appreciate everyone's input here, and I take stuff with a grain of salt too.

Sounds like HCMC is a bit controversial, and I don't fear controversy, but will definitely investigate further and keep my head up should I go there.

Me, I travel with only a backpack and a kind gracious attitude and plenty of money.

My frugal side does lead me to sketchy situations/neighborhoods.

And of course I want to avoid any place dangerous...

But I've lived and worked for years in Chicago and Oakland, also 1 1/2 years working in Mexico, and I always wander the streets on foot quite a bit, so I've seen all manner of dodgy situations.

I'm new to Asia, but last year spent months wandering Paris, Rome, Budapest, Barcelona, and Berlin.

And I will honestly say: the only place I was ever attacked (more than once) or mugged (actually chocked unconscious for $20), was my home country.

Edited by YogaVeg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

You must have 'ngay tho' tattooed across your forehead. While I won't deny there are robberies and scams, as there are everywhere; Vietnam is certainly not a, "den of thieves."

Of course, the gullible are victims everywhere. If you are inexperienced it can be tricky.

So it's always the victim's fault if they get robbed? If you think that it says a lot about your character.

9 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

So it's always the victim's fault if they get robbed? If you think that it says a lot about your character.

If what I said leads you to believe I blame the victim for getting robbed; your rationality as well as your reading comprehension is exposed.  And, I doubt your veracity to assess anyone's character. 

As to Taxis in HCMC - I have not been there, but hard to believe they could be much worse than the terrible Tuk-Tuk mafia in Laos (Vientiane and Savannakhet - maybe not a problem in other areas). 

I recall a thread where a particular taxi-company was recommended for use in HCMC, to avoid questionable-billing.  Perhaps someone could recommend this company to the OP, should he decide to go there?