UK immigration: No post-Brexit preference for EU workers, cabinet agrees

webfact

UK immigration: No post-Brexit preference for EU workers, cabinet agrees

People from the EU should face the same immigration rules as those from elsewhere, once the UK has completely left the bloc, the cabinet has agreed.

The agreement in principle follows a recommendation of the independent Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), which was also backed by Labour.

The cabinet unanimously supported a system based on skills rather than nationality, a source told the BBC. But some fear that a bar on low-skilled EU migrants may damage business.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45634901

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-09-25
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, allane said:

I suppose it makes them feel good to state this. But, I think everyone in the EU already knew and understood this.  They are smart enough to know they won't be able to cherry pick !

Even though many do come to cherry pick, and strawberry pick and also pick much of the fruit grown in the UK!  That is the concern.

I think it is a sensible rule though.  It is being suggested that if there is a no deal scenario, the EU citizens would have a two year window before the restrictions are brought in to give the farmers a chance to source their seasonal workers from further afield.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

India and the Philippines are already demanding more visas in exchange for trade and the evidence of comments over the last two years is Brexit supporters were not objecting to  immigrants to the U.K. from the EU.

It was the immigration from the EU issue, over exaggerated by the likes of UKIP that swung the the vote in favour of Brexit. 

The thing is we do need workers from abroad skilled and unskilled.

If EU wants preferential treatment they will have to negotiate it, if the EU wants EU citizens living in the UK to be able to remain, then UK citizens living in the EU should be able to remain on the same terms.

16 minutes ago, Basil B said:

If EU wants preferential treatment they will have to negotiate it, if the EU wants EU citizens living in the UK to be able to remain, then UK citizens living in the EU should be able to remain on the same terms.

I don't think that at this moment the EU will have to do anything.

They seem to have already discounted the potential impacts of a hard brexit and their growing impatience with nationalist states such as Poland or Hungary seems to indicate that they are losing patience with all the marginal banana republic types.

Personally, I will be quite happy to see UK finally kicked out from the EU and falling into a decades long recession. Well deserved. Sorry for the common people though.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Basil B said:

It was the immigration from the EU issue, over exaggerated by the likes of UKIP that swung the the vote in yfavour of Brexit. 

And Merkel’s timing of probably one the greatest virtue signal in history didn’t help.  And the EU is now only starting to pay for that huge miscalculation.

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

And Merkel’s timing of probably one the greatest virtue signal in history didn’t help.  And the EU is now only starting to pay for that huge miscalculation.

The arrival of refugees at the borders of Europe and the timing of their arrival was no accident.

Spend some time learning about those circumstances and then examine who gains most from discord within the EU.

8 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Personally, I will be quite happy to see UK finally kicked out from the EU and falling into a decades long recession. Well deserved. Sorry for the common people though.

How do you seperate one from the other? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1