Think twice before eating beef in Thailand

Brunolem

Why is it that the cheapest vegetarian restaurants are the only ones with brown rice?

I try paying more for a meal often, and usually am disappointed. Especially by "western" places. It doesn't seem to matter how much I spend.

My best freshest tastiest meals are always 30-40 baht veggies on brown rice.

Edited by YogaVeg

52 minutes ago, blinkers said:

I had tried the Thai/French beef, but it was expensive but the bit I had was edible. If you are near Kanchanaburi, PM me and I will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the offer blinkers, but I reside in Phuket...…………!! 

However I will keep an eye out (as Nelson said) for Charolais beef!

On 9/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, jrjrjr said:

Who eats beef anyway cannot be really normal, hum ?

Aussies, Yanks and Southern Folk, NZ, UK, Froggs (French), Argentine, Mexicans, Canadians most of Europe, Japan and another 100 different countries. lots and lots.  Thailand I think beat their beef cattle to death, they have not got a clue how to present Beef to the World and likely never will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Thai/French beef is probably similar to the Thai German Meat Co.  Not French and not German!!

The Thai/French beef was set up by a French guy, with Thai partners, he died the Thai's carried on and almost went bust, they could not manage the company.

They beef is Charolais x Brahman, not 100% Charolais, a 100% Charolais will suffer from heat stress, and will not have a lot of resistance against tice born diseases, which are often fatal.

Most of the Thai/French stock is 60% Charolais and 40%  Brahman, and other Thai meat companies.

Another problem with buying beef if you live in a rural area is if a sick animal dies, it will have been injected with various antibiotics, so a piece of beef from your local market could have traces of Penicillin or Oxcytracyclin, in it. A-Roy, delicious. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, kickstart said:

The Thai/French beef was set up by a French guy, with Thai partners, he died the Thai's carried on and almost went bust, they could not manage the company.

They beef is Charolais x Brahman, not 100% Charolais, a 100% Charolais will suffer from heat stress, and will not have a lot of resistance against tice born diseases, which are often fatal.

Most of the Thai/French stock is 60% Charolais and 40%  Brahman, and other Thai meat companies.

Another problem with buying beef if you live in a rural area is if a sick animal dies, it will have been injected with various antibiotics, so a piece of beef from your local market could have traces of Penicillin or Oxcytracyclin, in it. A-Roy, delicious. 

Sakon Nakhon is where the large stock yard is. Far as I can see still going strong.

Some off topic posts removed.

Posts containing links to Bangkokpost have been removed and you are reminded of this forum rule :

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

a meat requiring the lucky eaters to have the dentition of Jaws

Perfectly fine if left to hang for a week, all beef is tough until hung.

farmers come up with the argument that cows make babies, which give them value...certainly, but so do rabbits, and at a much faster pace, so why not trade rabbits instead?

You can breed about 40 rabbits per year from one doe, that could make you a profit of 2000 baht, while one calf if kept for 18 months could profit you 20,000.  Also there is the fact that it is easy to sell beef while almost no one buys rabbit in Thailand.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, pr9spk said:

Traces of antibiotics in the relatively small amount of beef you eat per meal will be harmless.

It is not the issue, the issue is eating bacteria in the meat that has grown resistant to antibiotics, that is a risk as they might not respond to any antibiotics the doctor gave you.

You wouldt eat Sausage, if you saw the old breeding sows that have turned near purple before being collected for the big hi street sausage names. Head first into 45 Gal oil drums in stinking like hell. Make your own here its easy.. even if you live in a City, theres always the lady who makes them for vendors, take her the Pork.