Angry topless farangs go viral after telling Thais to keep the noise down

webfact

There is this idea that the people in charge in Thailand (monks or the other) that remaining calm is a virtue. Are humans emotionless creatures? Sociopaths are!

I find it ironic that the Thais would extol the virtue of being calm (quiet) when this is an issue about noise! Of course, the Thais would remain "calm". Are they being disturbed? Let me remind that they do not remain clam when lese majeste's rules are being raised! Let me remind me that they are plenty of evidence of Thais not staying clam, engaging in fights or being in them. Are all Thais behaving as saints? Of course, not.

Now, the added information about them being topless is a bit much to take. That they are drunk is of course important as alcohol is a drug. Thailand sells the drug, so they should pay the consequence. If these were women, okay, I would get it. but, men? I think Thais are trying to find an excuse for a behaviour that it not so "jaidee" (Making noise after a certain time).

That they are drunk is of course important as alcohol is a drug. Thailand sells the drug, so they should pay the consequence. People's emotional state change when they are drunk.

As to the people who claim that they should move to another country, that is odd. Half of these people would claim that the Saudis and the Talibans are backwards and should change their laws. The US govn't (but also other govnt's via NGOs and missionaries) are actively trying to change countries' cultures, economies, govn'ts,... No one bats an eye! 

Thais (and others) should realize that evolved humans try to better themselves. Cultures, customs,... are arbitrary. They are many different iteration of what some people claim to be the perfect culture, the perfect laws, the perfect country, the perfect people.

Humans are not sociopaths. Humans have emotions. Thais do laugh when they are happy. Are they suggesting we do away with that emotion too? It seems to me it is false patriotism and racism: we, Thais, are better that foreigners. Really? While this is not a Thai concept as racism and patriotism are rampant in many countries, the "Go back to your country" line is getting old. People evolve. Making noise after 6 p.m. is not acceptable. Fess up! 

Some bars have moved up Prat Nyak hill where none were before and the noise isn't at night but around 11 AM. Can't be sure if they are late drinkers or early  drinkers but in either case, they are noisy in a neighborhood where that has never before been a problem....and no we are not going to move, we're only one block down and have been here for 30 years when there was nothing except the boat sales on that entire street. Progress?

Terrible way to try to handle the noise complaints. I think the Thai men were calm and both of the loud mouth expats one Day will be hurt badly. I hope not but when you act the aggressive way they acted sooner or later you will be hurt or killed over something not that important in life. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Does anyone else think that if it were other Thai males approaching this noisy group would have not only been topless, but carrying machetes and other weapons and been far more confrontational?

Not me, but my fantasies don't involves angry topless men.

In my opinion, we should give both parties the benefit of doubts; 1. The farangs could probably expect to have a quiet and peaceful evening in their leisure time but badly disturbed by the noise from this automotive workshop and 2. The technicians might be rushing to complete their jobs without realizing they are disturbing their neighbours. Lets see how the intelligent Thai police mediate this problem.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:28 PM, Pete1980 said:

More Brits trying to enforce their rules in other countries. That is what Brits do, "Sun never sets........"

Someone better tell them that Thailand isn't in their Commonwealth.

Well one is Scottish, so yes British, although he probably doesn't want to be, the other is quite clearly South African, so please don't generalise.  That said, the Scotsman is obviously a drunk <deleted> and they're both lucky the Thais remained calm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Disgusting bunch of drunken sexpats who think their quid can let them misbehave....throw them out of the country...that's all what they deserve....obviously back in their homelands such uncouth idiots are insignificant nobodys....

I think they are nobody’s world wide except inside their heads

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

He is correct despite your grumblings. You are not allowed to make a noise at night, it is illegal and if it's reported to the local authorities they will act.

Not always.

A few years back a huge tractor with some kind of hammer came down our soi at 2 a.m. and started breaking the road up. This went on for 2 hours despite calls to the police.

In another instance a 30 storey condo was being built near us. Construction went on all night, every night.

On another note, we are building a 5 storey condo block and we informed the neighbours well in advance and apologised for any inconvenience.  

Construction started at 8 a.m. and finished 6 p.m.. Sundays inclusive. The neighbours didn't complain and were very interested in the progress.

Two months after we started an American retired lawyer rented the house next door.

The first thing he did was to complain to the district office and tried to restrict construction from 12.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday. 

We settled for quiet construction work from 08.00 to 12.00 and stopped working on Sundays.

Since then he has been round looking for any illegal Construction, taking photos and making notes.

He even came to ask our workers to catch the toads and remove them as they were too noisy at night.

I am surprised at how far the Thais have gone to please that idiot.

Oh I guess he is reading this and will sue  me now as he threatened to sue my brother in law. 

Edited by petedk
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

While one must sympathise with their plight, as mentioned earlier, their execution of trying to resolve the problem was completely unacceptable in Thailand. Lesson 1 of living in Thailand is to learn the language. Lesson 2 is to try to understand (and accept) Thai culture. 

• Confused 1

It’s more difficult to understand unless out know the history but worse case if you have young children etc and it’s constantly being a problem or it goes on all night it would grind you down eventually. 

Not in any way condoning their behaviour because as can be seen all they done is escalated the issue and now caused them selves more problems than a bit of noise. 

What all the stuff around ID cards is beyond me unless they believe they are immigrant workers. 

Im struggling to put a case for their behaviour tbh. They seem to have learned nothing about how to deal with anything rationally. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Actually in this case my sympathies lie with the Scottish guys. 

If they do live there and those neighbours are making continuous noise from morning to late night, then provided the Scottish guys are in Thailand legally, they have every right to complain. Only by using authoritative and semi aggressive tactics will those Thais show respect and treat their neighbours with respect.