Big Joke tipped for big promotion

webfact

5 minutes ago, dave moir said:

Should this not be left until a new government is formed?

it's the problem of awaiting either an earthquake or a single volcano to form something.

One evolves slowly to gently fill all the cracks left behind, 

yet the other slamdunks the populace with massive shock tactics

either way, after the dust settles, all you are left with is a pile of slag to deal with...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The one thing that everyone needs to remember is that this man got his name and reputation by getting rid of falangs out of Thailand and I believe that this is what he will continue to do through Thai Immigration and that could even mean that some of the IO's that take brown envelopes from agents might disappear as well. I would not underestimate what this man would do to better himself in the eyes of his superiors.

Getting rid of people who were breaking the law.  Surely that is a good thing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Being a highly ranked policeman, there is a high probability he is not honest, and the Koh Tao investigation is proof of that. He may be famous, but he lacks talent, and has accomplished very, very little. A crime buster he is not!

Who knows what Big Joke is really like....but man, how can you say he lacks talent?  You don't know the man, but if I have that part wrong, please correct me.  What nonsense to post this crap about him.  He may or may not have talent and I doubt a single person keyboard warrior on Thai Visa knows.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, inThailand said:

What good would come to us if he is appointed? To TV?

Neither good nor bad, although there are a fair few posting who seem concerned that he will crack down on agents who operate the brown envelope path to visa extensions.  Let's call a spade a spade: some people are presumably scared that it will no longer be possible to use agents to get their annual visa extension and that is a big problem for them because they don't actually meet the requirements.  Paying an agent circumvents the system.  Without an agent, they could find it very difficult to stay in Thailand long-term.  They see Big Joke as a threat and as such they write crap about him.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Neither good nor bad, although there are a fair few posting who seem concerned that he will crack down on agents who operate the brown envelope path to visa extensions.  Let's call a spade a spade: some people are presumably scared that it will no longer be possible to use agents to get their annual visa extension and that is a big problem for them because they don't actually meet the requirements.  Paying an agent circumvents the system.  Without an agent, they could find it very difficult to stay in Thailand long-term.  They see Big Joke as a threat and as such they write crap about him.

Yup, he seemed popular until the idea he will be head of immigration. 

10 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Now it is not "if he gets the job" because he now "has" the job, and yes there are a lot of falangs should be worried

And so they should be, if here illegally they should be shown the way out. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

First he was the subject of a HUGE PR campaign and now he is being promoted over the head of many more senior officers.

Does he have pictures of the PM humping a sheep or what?????

He is doing more in the eyes of the Thai people for getting rid of a lot of illegal falangs than the other senior officers and the more that he gets rid of the higher his standing will be when it comes time for the elections plus the higher the standing will be with the Thai people for the power and leadership of the country to remain in the same hands that it is in now even though it will no longer be a Junta but a legally elected democratic government. They can use him and his reputation for getting rid of many falangs by pointing out to the people that they appointed him to this position to clean up the immigration and get rid of all those falangs that do not meet the requirements for their visa extensions and also getting rid of the corrupt immigration officers and thus make Thailand a much safer place for Thai people without those trouble make falangs that abuse the immigration system. Remember the election is listed for February 2019 which is only 5 months away which is just the right amount of time for a big shake up of immigration and the deportation of many falang that it will be fresh in the memories of the Thai people.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Amazing how this policeman has become known to the average expat just because of his nickname.

I wonder how many could name the previous head of the tourist police, or even the head of the real police.

I would say that none because it is only that he has made big headlines in the deporting of illegal falangs whereas they others did not do that

11 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I would say that none because it is only that he has made big headlines in the deporting of illegal falangs whereas they others did not do that

Maybe, but could it be that it just wasn't reported as it wasn't so newsworthy.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe, but could it be that it just wasn't reported as it wasn't so newsworthy.

Yes, that is possible, but even he was not known until the junta made it a big thing which could have been a plan to get ready for the "democratic" election. "Look we are getting rid of all those illegal immigrants and those that abuse our immigration system. We are getting rid of those troublemaking falangs and we have just the right man to do the job. Maj/Gen Big Joke"

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

He is doing more in the eyes of the Thai people for getting rid of a lot of illegal falangs than the other senior officers and the more that he gets rid of the higher his standing will be when it comes time for the elections plus the higher the standing will be with the Thai people for the power and leadership of the country to remain in the same hands that it is in now even though it will no longer be a Junta but a legally elected democratic government. They can use him and his reputation for getting rid of many falangs by pointing out to the people that they appointed him to this position to clean up the immigration and get rid of all those falangs that do not meet the requirements for their visa extensions and also getting rid of the corrupt immigration officers and thus make Thailand a much safer place for Thai people without those trouble make falangs that abuse the immigration system. Remember the election is listed for February 2019 which is only 5 months away which is just the right amount of time for a big shake up of immigration and the deportation of many falang that it will be fresh in the memories of the Thai people.

The average Thai probably doesn't give a rats about whether the falang is legal or not. Only the self-righteous falang on TV seem to get upset about them. In fact, it's usually the legal ones who get into the tiffs that we read about on ThaiVisa. Agencies have been around for a long time and are a source of income for Thais. They won't kill the goose much to the sadness of some posters here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, newatthis said:

The average Thai probably doesn't give a rats about whether the falang is legal or not. Only the self-righteous falang on TV seem to get upset about them. In fact, it's usually the legal ones who get into the tiffs that we read about on ThaiVisa. Agencies have been around for a long time and are a source of income for Thais. They won't kill the goose much to the sadness of some posters here.

I agree with you but with an election coming up and those in power now wanting to leave the military and go into politics and remain in power I would not put anything past them, they have already stopped the LTD from increasing the fines for not having a licence just so they can look good in the eyes of the people and secure their votes and that is what I believe this is all about. It will be a big media circus to secure more votes and if it means that many falangs are kicked out of the country and a few immigration officers of low rank are removed then I would not put anything past them. My visa extension is legal and I do not use an agent and I do not use a brown envelope, but I do know many that do use agents. This may only last until after the election and then return back to the way it was but up until then I would not underestimate what they will do and change just to remain in power.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:11 AM, missoura said:

A Thai friend of mine is a commander in the navy and one day I jokingly asked him, when would he become an admiral. Ten years he said. When I asked how he was so sure, his reply was simple. Everybody does.

Just like the Thai education system then. The kids move up a grade each year whether they pass exams or not.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, happy chappie said:

Please please please its getting on a bit more of than being a big joke now.he just flies around the country jumping in on crimes already solved in most cases and stealing the limelight.a pathetic puppet and getting promotion for it.

And in what way is that different in Europe, the good old USofA and the Antipodeans.  

25 minutes ago, Mychoicetobehere said:

And in what way is that different in Europe, the good old USofA and the Antipodeans.  

And in what way are we talking about the world.i see it your choice to be here so you must realise we are in Thailand and the subject is about a Thai police officer.we all probably know things like this go on in other countries but please try and stay on track.

17 hours ago, baboon said:

And I was in the SAS. Can't talk about it of course. 

Now I presume I am on your list of 'Be afraid. Be very afraid', contesting the Thai junta as I do. Yet somehow I am not. Is it that I am simply stupid or are you delighting in veiled threats based on nothing?

"Baboon", did you read back through the posts relating to this statement or are you one of the members who enjoy cutting others down?  I knew several people in the SAS, some were very good, some were absolutely useless.  I'm not sure how you determined that my statement was a particular threat, perhaps you could qualify it a little more.  Good and reasonable debate is always useful, especially if there is some experience or knowledge behind it, otherwise it's just emotional rubbish.

48 minutes ago, Antioc said:

"Baboon", did you read back through the posts relating to this statement or are you one of the members who enjoy cutting others down?  I knew several people in the SAS, some were very good, some were absolutely useless.  I'm not sure how you determined that my statement was a particular threat, perhaps you could qualify it a little more.  Good and reasonable debate is always useful, especially if there is some experience or knowledge behind it, otherwise it's just emotional rubbish.

Only a few ex SAS, and here I was thinking at least 80% of expats were ex SAS. 

And it would seem that the SAS had a cast of thousands, not a select few. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

My visa extension is legal and I do not use an agent and I do not use a brown envelope, but I do know many that do use agents. This may only last until after the election and then return back to the way it was but up until then I would not underestimate what they will do and change just to remain in power.

Worth pointing out that it is probably a small minority of people who use agents to help them to circumvent the rules in any way. I don't know any personally. The use of an agent does not signify that the person's application for the Visa is in any way illegitimate.

I used to do my own applications (Non-Imm B and then Retirement) for many years until CM Immigration did away with the queue online system. I just couldn't be bothered standing in line through half the night and day to obtain my Visa after that. All my papers are in order and sufficient money in the bank, but I can afford to pay an agent to sort it for me instead. Took all of 20 minutes of my time for the most recent Extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

Worth pointing out that it is probably a small minority of people who use agents to help them to circumvent the rules in any way. I don't know any personally. The use of an agent does not signify that the person's application for the Visa is in any way illegitimate.

I used to do my own applications (Non-Imm B and then Retirement) for many years until CM Immigration did away with the queue online system. I just couldn't be bothered standing in line through half the night and day to obtain my Visa after that. All my papers are in order and sufficient money in the bank, but I can afford to pay an agent to sort it for me instead. Took all of 20 minutes of my time for the most recent Extension.

It may only be a small minority but how many falangs currently live in Thailand on Non-Imm O with either retirement or marriage extensions and Non-Imm B visas that have been acquired legally and how many have acquired then illegally. I do know some personally, but even if he only gets 500 in all of Thailand then that makes him and his bosses look good in front of the Thai people just before the election. Votes is what matters.