Canada legislators, in symbolic move, vote to strip Myanmar's Suu Kyi of citizenship

webfact

Canada legislators, in symbolic move, vote to strip Myanmar's Suu Kyi of citizenship

By David Ljunggren

2018-09-27T201047Z_1_LYNXNPEE8Q1RJ_RTROPTP_4_VIETNAM-MYANMAR.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Myanmar's State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi is seen while she waits for a meeting with Vietnam's President Tran Dai Quang (not pictured) at the Presidential Palace during the World Economic Forum on ASEAN in Hanoi, Vietnam September 13, 2018. REUTERS/Kham/Pool

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian legislators, in a symbolic move, on Thursday voted unanimously to strip Myanmar's civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi of her honorary citizenship in response to crimes committed against the Rohingya minority.

The move by the House of Commons lower chamber has no immediate effect because honorary citizenship is conferred by a joint resolution of both the House and the upper Senate chamber and officials say it must be removed the same way. Suu Kyi received hers in 2007.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters on Wednesday that he was open to looking at stripping Suu Kyi of the honour but said doing so would not end the crisis in Myanmar, where more than 700,000 Rohingya have fled a government crackdown.

The motion on removing the honorary citizenship was proposed by Gabriel Ste Marie, a member of the opposition Bloc Quebecois party, who told reporters after the vote that "I think it's a great symbol".

The House of Commons last week unanimously voted to call the killings of Rohingya a genocide, a move that Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said at the time was significant.

"Our government supported this motion in response to her (Suu Kyi's) continued failure to speak out against the genocide of the Rohingya, a crime being committed by the military with which she shares power," said Freeland spokesman Adam Austen.

Legislator Andrew Leslie, who serves as Freeland's parliamentary secretary, told reporters "that the machinery of government will chew over the details of what specifically is required to implement" the motion.

The Myanmar government was not immediately available for comment.

Freeland is among many western politicians who condemned the decision by a Myanmar judge earlier this month to find two Reuters journalists guilty of breaching a law on state secrets.

Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo, who had been probing the killing by the security forces of Rohingya villagers, were jailed for seven years. They had pleaded not guilty.

A U.S. government investigation last month found Myanmar's military waged a "well-planned and coordinated" campaign of mass killings, gang rapes and other atrocities against the Rohingya.

(Reporting by David Ljunggren; editing by Clive McKeef)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-28
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, the guest said:

I find absolutely incredible how the west has the gaul to point the finger when their own backyard is also tainted with blood. Perhaps you can explain how the "Americas" were colonized? Was it by invitation, or did they (meaning the Europeans) cull, rape and pillage the indigenous population for years, but we won't talk about that because its the past, and we can now live with a clear conscience (whatever than means).

Double standards in my book, was the land ever handed back once it was conquered, I think not !

Whilst I appall what is happening in Burma, you could say the fire was lit by the interfering west (yet again) mostly by the British !

One cannot argue with any of that. As far as I am concerned the three major blemishes on the history of the US, are the treatment of the American Indians, the black population, and the Mexican nation. One can argue it goes way beyond that. And it does. Although the US has been involved in many campaigns that have led to countless deaths, we are now talking about the current day. Right now, as we speak, the Burmese army is committing atrocities that are unthinkable, against the Muslim population. It does amount to genocide, though many apologists on this forum will say differently. And Suu Kyi is absolutely complicit in mass murder and rape.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Does China have any or an unusual amount of quiet political influence there?

Yes I think so especially in the North East where Burma borders Yunnan Province in China. Chinese businesses are stripping the country of many of its valuable resources (as they do elsewhere in the World) such as precious stones (emeralds in particular), minerals and teak - to name a few. 

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One cannot argue with any of that. As far as I am concerned the three major blemishes on the history of the US, are the treatment of the American Indians, the black population, and the Mexican nation. One can argue it goes way beyond that. And it does. Although the US has been involved in many campaigns that have led to countless deaths, we are now talking about the current day. Right now, as we speak, the Burmese army is committing atrocities that are unthinkable, against the Muslim population. It does amount to genocide, though many apologists on this forum will say differently. And Suu Kyi is absolutely complicit in mass murder and rape.

Yes, the Burmese military were "out of order" but let us not forget that in the first instance Islamist terrorists in Rakhine State were killing Burmese soldiers. I have visited Mandalay and you can see many Muslims living happily with the Buddhists. You will see mosques and temples in the City.

22 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

They are fleeing genocide, not a crackdown. 

There’s a difference mr T. 

I think the word "crackdown" was from the story's reporter, not by the Prime Minister. This is what the CBC quoted him as saying:

"Let's be very clear: The hundreds of thousands, indeed millions, of people affected by this Rohingya crisis, by this genocide, whether or not Aung San Suu Kyi has Canadian citizenship or not, honorary or not, makes no difference in solving this crisis. Canada is entirely focused on solutions that will move forward to protect these citizens, these individuals, to support them, to put an end to this ongoing humanitarian crisis," Trudeau said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/suu-kyi-trudeau-honourary-citizenship-rohingya-1.4839212

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the guest said:

If you mean Burma, its their closest ally and they won't do much.

Thailand also has very close ties with Burma. In fact a few years ago Prem adopted the Burmise junta leader.

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/former-thai-army-chief-godfather-burmas-top-general.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the majority on here agree that the Muslim people are forever trying to change the landscape of every country they settle in. They won't stop until Shiria law and Muslim customs and traditions are in the majority. Possibly Myanmar does not want to go down this road and so are nipping this in the bud now. Their methods are in the extreme but maybe we need to try to look at it from their point of view.

Would you stand back and allow the UK, America, Canada (add appropriate country name) to be changed by Muslims? Think on.

I think it's a bit naive if not hypocritical to put all the blame on her shoulders, she has inherited an already messy situation, and obviously she doesn't have a magic solution.

Politics is about mediation of conflicting factions, and it's quite possible that she's doing a lousy job, but it's not likely that she has turned from angel to devil overnight.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I think it's a bit naive if not hypocritical to put all the blame on her shoulders, she has inherited an already messy situation, and obviously she doesn't have a magic solution.

Politics is about mediation of conflicting factions, and it's quite possible that she's doing a lousy job, but it's not likely that she has turned from angel to devil overnight.

I always thought she was a devil.

Abandoned her husband and kids to live in a very nice house in Burma to be exalted by the world's great and good, without actually doing anything for Burma. A self aggrandising prima donna.

Since taking power, if you can call it that as the military still have all the power and, effectively, run the country (same as Thailand after the forthcoming election), all she has done is sit back and watch the Rohingya being exterminated, whilst issuing denials that it was happening. She refuses to even use the word "Rohingya".

Disgusting creature who should be tried for war crimes alongside her generals.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I always thought she was a devil. Abandoned her husband and kids to live in a very nice house in Burma to be exalted by the world's great and good, without actually doing anything for Burma. A self aggrandising prima donna. Since taking power, if you can call it that as the military still have all the power and, effectively, run the country (same as Thailand after the forthcoming election), all she has done is sit back and watch the Rohingya be exterminated, whilst issuing denials that it was happening. She refuses to even use the word "Rohingya" Disgusting creature who should be tried for war crimes alongside her generals.

I respect your opinion, of course, but i don't see things in black and white.

One thing that we agree for sure, is that atrocities are always wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I respect your opinion, of course, but i don't see things in black and white.

One thing that we agree for sure, is that atrocities are always wrong. 

I don't see things in black and white, I see the reality of the situation without looking at it through rose tinted glasses.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I don't see things in black and white, I see the reality of the situation without looking at it through rose tinted glasses.

ok, i see that you've made up your mind already, so i won't discuss it further. Ok, she's a devil, up to you.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, the guest said:

Of course the west do not fully understand her predicament. They knew exactly she was only a proxy leader on behalf of the Army, so why now all the fuss?

She has no more power than a flea, it has been quite obvious who's been pulling the strings from the very beginning and who will continue to do so in the future. 

Symbolic it maybe, but having no value to the problem.

IMO 100% correct, yet people all over the west continue to blame her! Perhaps they are too ignorant to actually know who runs Burma. Certainly they seem to be excellent at jumping on popular bandwagons, no matter how misguided those causes may be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO 100% correct, yet people all over the west continue to blame her! Perhaps they are too ignorant to actually know who runs Burma. Certainly they seem to be excellent at jumping on popular bandwagons, no matter how misguided those causes may be.

..In a nutshell.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:23 PM, spidermike007 said:

A wonderful and courageous move by Canada. Suu Kyi has lost all credibility, with her inane and racist statements. She is showing her true colors these days, by aligning herself with a murderous, genocidal, gang raping army. Some will say she does not have a choice. We all have choices in life. Hers is a terrible one. Betray my principals to remain in power. And one has to assume there is also alot of money at stake here too. She is an abomination. 

What is "courageous" about Canada's move? Are there any serious consequences involved?

I think that it is fair to say many people in the "West" misjudged the lady, and cast her as something she never was. To what extent this involved misleading on her part can be questioned. Not exactly a new phenomenon there, when crowned political heroes fall short of unfounded expectations.

IMO, she is a product of the society she grew up in. Like or not, it's not one quite as liberal as the best examples on Western countries. As such, her pro-democracy struggle apparently goes so far, even without getting into the issue of not wielding much by way of real authority and power.

So as to "betraying principals" - who's? The ones attributed to her by outsiders or the more limited version actually preached?

One has to assume that the assumptions regarding "a lot of money at stake" are supported by something, but then one recalls that this is TVF.

An "abomination"? Over the top, even by the standard of your usual hyped indignation rants.

• Like 1