Foreigner's name in wife's blue book

Not sure if this is the right forum so please excuse a newbie if not.

My Thai wife and I have bought a house which is registered in her name. I am happy that she remains the owner. She has a blue house book in her name. My question is: can my name be entered in the book as being resident in the property? I have seen comments elsewhere about foreigner's getting a yellow book but I don't see that as relevant as I am not the owner or renter of the house. My thought is that when in the blue book I could then get a pink ID card to use in place of carrying my passport.

I was told by my local amphoe i can get my name put in blue book just have to go to immigration and get a few papers and photos it depends were you apply i think im in na klang near nong bua lhampu Thailand ill see how i go ill get the papers when i do my next 90 day repot

Cheers

7 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

I was told by my local amphoe i can get my name put in blue book just have to go to immigration and get a few papers and photos it depends were you apply i think im in na klang near nong bua lhampu Thailand ill see how i go ill get the papers when i do my next 90 day repot

Cheers

Unless you have PR status, your Amphoe is misinformed.

Only Thai's and foreigners with PR status can be registered in the Blue book.

Foreigners purchasing Condo's should have a Blue book for the address registration, but they can't be named in the book.

• Like 2

In your situation you can have your name in a Yellow Book available from your Amphur.
As is the norm here the requisite documentation varies from Amphur to Amphur.
A visit to them will give you the correct information for your area and they will issue you with a Yellow Book, or won’t as in my case !.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Cheers

Maybe your amphur staff are meaning the documents needed to apply for PR (Permanent Resident status), yes you do make the PR application at immigration (but not every Imm. office handles PR applications).

If that's what your amphur office are meaning you should be aware that the criteria to gain Thai PR is much more than a handful of documents, expect is some special circumstances (very limited application), you need to have held a Thai work permit for at least 3 years and held a specific type of visa for the same time period, and also prove that you have cleared all your Thai taxes for the same 3 years, and more. It takes quite some time for the PR application to be processed, and it's quite expensive. 

Foreigners who do gain PR are then registered in a typical dark blue Tabien Baan book (household registration book). I have PR, i'm in the dark blue TB book along with all my Thai family.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Unless you have PR status, your Amphoe is misinformed.

Only Thai's and foreigners with PR status can be registered in the Blue book.

Foreigners purchasing Condo's should have a Blue book for the address registration, but they can't be named in the book.

disagree,

My name is in the blue book on page 18, I do not have PR status

MY Taam Bien Baan 001.jpg

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Maybe your amphur staff are meaning the documents needed to apply for PR (Permanent Resident status), yes you do make the PR application at immigration (but not every Imm. office handles PR applications).

If that's what your amphur office are meaning you should be aware that the criteria to gain Thai PR is much more than a handful of documents, expect is some special circumstances (very limited application), you need to have held a Thai work permit for at least 3 years and held a specific type of visa for the same time period, and also prove that you have cleared all your Thai taxes for the same 3 years, and more. It takes quite some time for the PR application to be processed, and it's quite expensive. 

Foreigners who do gain PR are then registered in a typical dark blue Tabien Baan book (household registration book). I have PR, i'm in the dark blue TB book along with all my Thai family.

I too hold PR and am in the blue book.  Like you, I am sure,  I also have a red Alien Reg book, which requires a new photo every 5 years. My Alein reg book has been full for a long time, and nobody can help in obtaining a new one.  Local Police chief happy to stamp an added sheet of paper. Any suggestions?

Thank you everyone for the advice. I understand now.  I  don't think i can/will apply for PR as it would probably get me involved in more Thai bureaucracy which would be unwelcome. As i only plan to stay in Thailand for 2 visits a year of 2-3 months each i am content to continue using a one year non-O multi-entry visa, thus avoiding 90 day reporting, need for driving licence etc. Perhaps i should explain that we now have homes (and families) in UK and Thailand and want to spend some months each year in each location.

56 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I too hold PR and am in the blue book.  Like you, I am sure,  I also have a red Alien Reg book, which requires a new photo every 5 years. My Alein reg book has been full for a long time, and nobody can help in obtaining a new one.  Local Police chief happy to stamp an added sheet of paper. Any suggestions?

I can recall a post by a member in the long PR topic having a similar problem. If I recall correctly the local police made some calls to get one sent to them. Perhaps suggest that they call the provincial police headquarters about it.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I can recall a post by a member in the long PR topic having a similar problem. If I recall correctly the local police made some calls to get one sent to them. Perhaps suggest that they call the provincial police headquarters about it.

One small point, I very much doubt that a stock of blank red Police Registration books, which must be obtained and maintained by all PR holders, would be held by every police station, and in many provinces perhaps held just at one main police center.   

In reality many police stations / police staff have never seen either the actual PR book or the red Police Registration book. I learned this when we move from Banglamung area to Chiang Mai.

On arrival in CM we didn't know which police station to report to so with my Thai son we went to the closest (in fact fairly big) police station. The police we initially spoke to had never seen either book, neither had the station chief who happened to walk by.

He suggested we go to immigration near the CM airport, my son explained that what we needed to do was move the registered location of the red Police book not the actual PR book. The police chief inisted the red book was an immigration matter. Wrong.

We went to 2 more police stations, first one - no clue. Second station one of the senior police called another station in the CM city centre and eventually spoke to the right guy who then spoke to my son, and gave clear directions where to go and he waited on the front steps of the police station to meet us. All completed in 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

When I moved from Banglamung, the amphur Polcue Station was deemed to be the place to go. Of course nobody knew what was wanted, and had never seen either the PR or Alien registration books before.

I ended up telling the Sarawat Yai (Local police chief) what to do, where to stamp etc, and he kindly obliged. 3 follow ups since, with an inserted piece of paper, have always been completed without problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

disagree,

At least they phonetically wrote your name, middle name and surname correctly in Thai.

But be careful about exposing your personal info on the internet,

2 hours ago, Geoff335 said:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I understand now.  I  don't think i can/will apply for PR as it would probably get me involved in more Thai bureaucracy which would be unwelcome. As i only plan to stay in Thailand for 2 visits a year of 2-3 months each i am content to continue using a one year non-O multi-entry visa, thus avoiding 90 day reporting, need for driving licence etc. Perhaps i should explain that we now have homes (and families) in UK and Thailand and want to spend some months each year in each location.

Sounds great...

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In your situation you can have your name in a Yellow Book available from your Amphur.
As is the norm here the requisite documentation varies from Amphur to Amphur.
A visit to them will give you the correct information for your area and they will issue you with a Yellow Book, or won’t as in my case !.

As for my experience in Baan Phe, Rayong, I gave up with the yellow book.

The guy there makes it soo difficult, I lost interest.

And I am very much understanding and accepting the "local rules" normally.

However, the benefits do not justify the trouble to get a yellow book in Baan Phe.

2 minutes ago, ckry said:

As for my experience in Baan Phe, Rayong, I gave up with the yellow book.

The guy there makes it soo difficult, I lost interest.

And I am very much understanding and accepting the "local rules" normally.

However, the benefits do not justify the trouble to get a yellow book in Baan Phe.

I said “won’t issue me a Yellow Book “ but that was not strictly true.

Same as your experience, the Amphur Bang Pa-in kept inventing different rules for me to contend with and... well.... your last paragraph summed it up perfectly for me and I gave up.

There is at least one restricted manner by which a foreigner's name can be partially included in a blue book. This is where the foreigner's first name is listed as the father of a person with Thai nationality who is included in the blue book. I know this as my first name appears in the blue book for our house, as part of the entry for my daughter who has Thai citizenship.

At least in Hua Hin (which is more relaxed than almost anywhere else on most immigration issues as far as I can tell) this is accepted by Immigration as proof of residence for such things as my yearly extension of temporary stay (retirement extension).

I haven't seen anything to suggest that this would be any use in getting a pink ID card though - every report I've heard on this so far, says it requires having your (full) name in a yellow book.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are shown as the owner of the condo on that page but you are not registered as living there.

its a house not a condo and I as a farang cant own land, correct?

BUT ur saying i can own my house?

Edited by phuketrichard

A contentious subject. I know for a fact that foreigners can be listed in the blue book as one of my friends is in his.

His wife was the legal owner of the house but she died. Under the lease they had he has the right to stay in the house and has his own blue book. He did it at the amber.

I asked about it at the land office, but they told me it was not possible. Then I asked my lawyer and she said it was possible but the head of land office didn't;t like foreigners and wouldn't sign off.

Where is the truth. Well my friend has done it. Whether it would hold up in a court of law if he wanted to sell the property and was challenged by the family, I don't know.

I tend to believe my lawyer that it is not illegal but that many of the local land offices simply will not do it. TIT

When I taught in some small villages in phrae, I was put in a a blue book. I don't know how they did it though.  It was all a little shady I assume, and somehow I was technically working for the tambon or ampur... The school directors, poo yai baan, and ampur officials were drinking buddies... So who knows

15 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

disagree,

That's just your signature for receipt of the book.

Page 1 has address details.

Page 2 onwards is for the registration of those recorded as residing at that address.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are shown as the owner of the condo on that page but you are not registered as living there.

A blue house book does not show ownership

The picture posted by

@phuketrichard shows the address of the house on the first page, and on the second page (18) it says that phuketrichard is the person who received the house book and after his name in amphesis they wrote in hand writing that he is the house master (it does not mean he is the owner)

When people say a foreigner without PR can not be in a blue housebook they dont mean his name can not appear anywhere at all, but that he can not be listed as resident, which is the important bit.

You can only use a house book to prove your address if you are listed as resident. Some places do of course have no idea what they are doing and might accept any occurance of your name in the blue book as proof of residency, but actually that's wrong