Change SSA Direct Deposit

Believe SSA actions are done through the office in Manila so not sure if that is who you are in contact with or not.  Are you sending to a different US bank or trying to direct deposit to a Bangkok Bank account here?  I do not receive SSA but if I did would have it sent to US bank and transfer funds here as required so you have access to dollar account/banking/cards.  

Answer these questions for better info --

-- Did you start your S.S. benefit while living in the U.S. or Thailand?

-- Does SS have your Thai address or your U.S. address?

-- Do you have a MySSA account?

-- Did you email FBU Manila or a generic domestic S.S. email address?

-- Is your current payment to a U.S. bank or Bangkok Bank via New York?

-- Do you want to change to a U.S. bank or Bangkok Bank via New York?

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Answer these questions for better info --

-- Did you start your S.S. benefit while living in the U.S. or Thailand?

-- Does SS have your Thai address or your U.S. address?

-- Do you have a MySSA account?

-- Did you email FBU Manila or a generic domestic S.S. email address?

-- Is your current payment to a U.S. bank or Bangkok Bank via New York?

-- Do you want to change to a U.S. bank or Bangkok Bank via New York?

SS Benefits started in Thailand.

SS only has my Thai address. Been here 27 years straight no US address.

I do not have MYSSA account.

I mailed FBU Manila who handled all setting up of SS Benefits.

Payment has always been Direct Deposit BBK NY.

Since I also have 2 other small pensions from US Banks DD thru BBK NY I will probably change all Direct Deposit to State Department CU or possible have all 3 deposits go to Transferwise to send to Thailand. if possible.I do not want to wait until last minute to make direct deposit changes.

Thanks all for help.

OK. Got it.

This is pretty clear cut.

The obvious contact place is Manila FBU.

Yes, they are known to not respond quickly (if at all).

Others have advised after a long period of not replying, email them again making it clear it is the SECOND ATTEMPT.

You can also call Manila FBU but that's expensive and I reckon you'd get voicemail anyway.

But maybe not so bad, because they might call you back on their dime.

Another point, if I were you I would not even bother asking them questions until you are fully sure about the specific account you want to change to. Then, at that time, you are ready and they can help you (eventually).

You can also call the USA number for Americans living abroad where you will almost definitely get a voicemail. That office is in Baltimore. They promise to call back within two days and I think they're more reliable than Manila.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't change the account with them instead of Manila.

But again I see no point to bother contacting anyone UNTIL you have the new account number READY.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, livram said:

SS Benefits started in Thailand.

SS only has my Thai address. Been here 27 years straight no US address.

I do not have MYSSA account.

I mailed FBU Manila who handled all setting up of SS Benefits.

Payment has always been Direct Deposit BBK NY.

Since I also have 2 other small pensions from US Banks DD thru BBK NY I will probably change all Direct Deposit to State Department CU or possible have all 3 deposits go to Transferwise to send to Thailand. if possible.I do not want to wait until last minute to make direct deposit changes.

Thanks all for help.

SS money can't be withdrawn in Thailand except at a Bank of Bangkok Direct deposit account and in person.  Have you figured out a different way?

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK. Got it.

This is pretty clear cut.

The obvious contact place is Manila FBU.

Yes, they are known to not respond quickly (if at all).

Others have advised after a long period of not replying, email them again making it clear it is the SECOND ATTEMPT.

You can also call Manila FBU but that's expensive and I reckon you'd get voicemail anyway.

But maybe not so bad, because they might call you back on their dime.

Another point, if I were you I would not even bother asking them questions until you are fully sure about the specific account you want to change to. Then, at that time, you are ready and they can help you (eventually).

You can also call the USA number for Americans living abroad where you will almost definitely get a voicemail. They promise to call back within two days and I think they're more reliable than Manila.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't change the account with them instead of Manila.

But again I see no point to bother contacting anyone UNTIL you have the new account number READY.

OK, good advice. Now I just have to decide if a SDFCU account or using a DD to Transferwise is the best way to go. I don't need a credit card from US or a USA account, Just an economical and easy way to get the money to one of my accounts in Thailand.

1 minute ago, livram said:

OK, good advice. Now I just have to decide if a SDFCU account or using a DD to Transferwise is the best way to go. I don't need a credit card from US or a USA account, Just an economical and easy way to get the money to one of my accounts in Thailand.

Well, interesting. 

I would suggest open a SDFCU account and direct deposit there.

From there to move the funds to Thailand you can use their SWIFT wire service (30 dollars) or link transferwise to that account.

You will be getting both a savings and checking there (automatically).

I wasn't aware that you could get S.S. paid directly into a transferwise account. Really? I'm skeptical about that.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

SS money can't be withdrawn in Thailand except at a Bank of Bangkok Direct deposit account and in person.  Have you figured out a different way?

I have been doing BBK NY direct deposit for 11 years and withdrawing in person hasn't been the problem. But I am not confident that BBK NY will solve the problem by Apr2019 so I am looking for solutions now.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I reckon the other way is what most U.S. expats do. They still have at least one U.S. bank account and you then direct deposit into a U.S. account just as if you lived there and move the money via SWIFT wire to a Thai bank account. Also of course Bangkok Bank ACH but that's going away in April 2019. TransferWise option is relatively new, another option.

1 minute ago, livram said:

I have been doing BBK NY direct deposit for 11 years and withdrawing in person hasn't been the problem. But I am not confident that BBK NY will solve the problem by Apr2019 so I am looking for solutions now.

For things other than S.S. checks formatted with IAT I agree with you. I think the ACH scheme really will end next year. 

Well, interesting. 

I would suggest open a SDFCU account and direct deposit there.

From there to move the funds to Thailand you can use their SWIFT wire service (30 dollars) or link transferwise to that account.

You will be getting both a savings and checking there (automatically).

I wasn't aware that you could get S.S. paid directly into a transferwise account. Really? I'm skeptical about that.

I emailed Tranferwise and that said I could have DD. After you set up a TW account you can arrange for a borderless account and they will set up a USA bank account for you to make DD.

• Thanks 1

Just now, livram said:

I emailed Tranferwise and that said I could have DD. After you set up a TW account you can arrange for a borderless account and they will set up a USA bank account for you to make DD.

Aha. Cool. So from SS POV they are just sending it to another US bank account. Yeah, sounds like that would work. Personally I'm more comfortable with the credit union that I control just like any other bank account, not via a third party. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon the other way is what most U.S. expats do. They still have at least one U.S. bank account and you then direct deposit into a U.S. account just as if you lived there and move the money via SWIFT wire to a Thai bank account. Also of course Bangkok Bank ACH but that's going away in April 2019. TransferWise option is relatively new, another option.

I have been out of the States for 27 years so a USA bank account would be a problem except for SDFCU and USAA since I am a veteran.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Aha. Cool. So from SS POV they are just sending it to another US bank account. Yeah, sounds like that would work. Personally I'm more comfortable with the credit union that I control just like any other bank account, not via a third party. 

I am also leaning in the direction of SDFCU. It would not be worth it for me to save 10 or 20 bucks and then have to change again. I trust Transferwise but I am afraid that US regulations may cause TW to change some of their rules.

So tomorrow I will try to set up account with SDFCU. Will advise how it goes since I have been out of the states so long I am afraid they will not be able to verify my identity thru the credit bureau.

17 minutes ago, livram said:

Call BBK NY and ask them if your accounts are IAT.  I did and they looked up my accounts SS and VA and told me they were both IAT. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Call BBK NY and ask them if your accounts are IAT.  I did and they looked up my accounts SS and VA and told me they were both IAT. 

Since I also receive 2 pensions from private companies thru 2 separate banks I think it is better that I just change all direct deposits.

Also I am wary of info I receive from Bangkok Bank I.e. I have received misinformation from them in the past.

30 minutes ago, livram said:

I have been out of the States for 27 years so a USA bank account would be a problem except for SDFCU and USAA since I am a veteran.

Yes, understood.

I was replying to another member who had a more general question.

My experience is that the majority of U.S. expats maintain (or at least TRY to maintain) at least one U.S. bank account.

31 minutes ago, livram said:

I am also leaning in the direction of SDFCU. It would not be worth it for me to save 10 or 20 bucks and then have to change again. I trust Transferwise but I am afraid that US regulations may cause TW to change some of their rules.

So tomorrow I will try to set up account with SDFCU. Will advise how it goes since I have been out of the states so long I am afraid they will not be able to verify my identity thru the credit bureau.

OK, here is what you can do if you have a problem opening an account there.
Join American Citizens Abroad. There is an annual fee and it's not the cheapest.

But they ACTIVELY work with expats in helping them open accounts at SDFCU.

You could try first joining that cheapo consumer group but if you hit blocks, there is a good chance working with ACA you can get it done. 

Also of course you could join for one year to help you open the account, and then later renewal is up to you. 

Also, on the transferwise bank account. Is that bank account even in YOUR name? I know the transferwise account it. Asking about the bank account. Would S.S. really send to a bank account not in your name?

Edited by Jingthing

OK, here is what you can do if you have a problem opening an account there.
Join American Citizens Abroad. There is an annual fee and it's not the cheapest.

But they ACTIVELY work with expats in helping them open accounts at SDFCU.

You could try first joining that cheapo consumer group but if you hit blocks, there is a good chance working with ACA you can get it done. 

I looked at the first part of the signup page for SDFCU and they ask which consumer group you belong to only request to agree to join the cheapo consumer group. But the American Citizens Abroad website acknowledges that membership entitles being able to setup and account at SDFCU.

I did a Google search on SDFCU and learned that some expats had trouble verifying their identity because of no credit bureau listing.

21 minutes ago, livram said:

I looked at the first part of the signup page for SDFCU and they ask which consumer group you belong to only request to agree to join the cheapo consumer group. But the American Citizens Abroad website acknowledges that membership entitles being able to setup and account at SDFCU.

I did a Google search on SDFCU and learned that some expats had trouble verifying their identity because of no credit bureau listing.

Different issues there.

Yes, the consumer group works to qualify for SDFCU membership but they do nothing to help you open an account there.

Yes, applying with a foreign address they will do a HARD credit check. It sounds like you probably have no U.S. credit record.

Is it still possible to open an account there? I would guess it is, no guarantees, but it might take the extra help ACA can offer. What extra help do they offer?

I'm really not sure.
Check their info.

I recall reading before that they have a member's only forum dealing with such banking issues but I'm not a member so I don't know.

Sorry, I may have oversold ACA. Maybe they can help, maybe not.

https://www.americansabroad.org/sdfcu-account/

Another thing about ACA, if you weren't able to get an SDFCU account they would be a place you could COMPLAIN to. It's in ACA's interest to lobby for their members. They are selling their group as a good way to get that account. If people actually can't they will want to know that and again maybe they could help. 

If you reside overseas, the information that will be required includes:

• a copy of the individual’s unexpired US passport
  • a copy of a document which provides proof of residence, such as a lease agreement or utility bill in the individuals name
  • a copy of the individual’s Social Security Card (if available)

Other information might be requested by SDFCU depending upon the individual situation of the person, or the place of residence overseas.

Edited by Jingthing

Called Transfer wise chat line.  They were not well informed.  Said I could get a borderless account in Thailand and the USA account would have my name but the banks address.  Said they didn't know if government would accept that.  Cold day in heck methinks that you could get SS without direct deposit in Thailand with a Transferwise account. 

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Called Transfer wise chat line.  They were not well informed.  Said I could get a borderless account in Thailand and the USA account would have my name but the banks address.  Said they didn't know if government would accept that.  Cold day in heck methinks that you could get SS without direct deposit in Thailand with a Transferwise account. 

I'm not really surprised by any of that.

Someone could try to do it though if they're willing to risk it not being accepted by S.S. 

The worse that could happen would be a delay in sending monthly transfers until an acceptable account was provided.

As things stand now, there is indeed only ONE way to get S.S. sent direct deposit to Thailand.

That's via Bangkok Bank New York using with S.S. sending with either ACH or IAT format.

Starting next April, it will be only IAT formats and the ACH formatted ones will be blocked.

But even the transferwise scheme being proposed is not direct deposit to Thailand. It's just direct deposit to a U.S. account handles by transferwise and then via transferwise the money can be moved to Thailand.

13 hours ago, livram said:

Why are you bothering with SDFCU if you're eligible to open an account with USAA? Don't they open accounts for expats? I thought they did.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why are you bothering with SDFCU if you're eligible to open an account with USAA? Don't they open accounts for expats? I thought they did.

I am not sure of the fees and services of USAA and in the past month or so there has been a lot of info on Transferwise on SDFCU not so much on USAA.

Why do you think USAA is preferable?

3 minutes ago, livram said:

I am not sure of the fees and services of USAA and in the past month or so there has been a lot of info on Transferwise on SDFCU not so much on USAA.

Is it possible for a long term expat with no ties to the USA to open an account in SDFCU and USAA? 

2 minutes ago, livram said:

I don't know because I'm not eligible for it. But people that have accounts there seem pleased from what I've read here. I brought it up because you sound concerned that you won't be able to get an account with SDFCU so looking at USAA would be the obvious alternative.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Is it possible for a long term expat with no ties to the USA to open an account in SDFCU and USAA? 

I can only speak for SDFCU. 

Yes, they will DEFINITELY open accounts for Americans living abroad.

Of course you need I.D. such as passport, proof of foreign address with something like a utility bill, etc. and anything else they ask for. 

They will do a HARD credit check though for expats that have been living abroad for more than two years.

If you no longer have any U.S. credit history to check, I can't answer that.

That's why I suggested joining the lobbying group American Citizens Abroad because they're very interested in helping expats with banking issues and they're aggressively promoting their association with SDFCU. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I don't know because I'm not eligible for it. But people that have accounts there seem pleased from what I've read here. I brought it up because you sound concerned that you won't be able to get an account with SDFCU so looking at USAA would be the obvious alternative.

This morning I joined ACA @$55 for one year with no problem. Then I started the SDFCU online to join and open savings account. Everything went OK but I know I will have to submit copy of Passport, bill with address, etc. I could have done it with the initial application but I didn't have copies ready for upload.

Will advise how it goes.

• Like 1