Change SSA Direct Deposit

7 minutes ago, livram said:

This morning I joined ACA @$55 for one year with no problem. Then I started the SDFCU online to join and open savings account. Everything went OK but I know I will have to submit copy of Passport, bill with address, etc. I could have done it with the initial application but I didn't have copies ready for upload.

Will advise how it goes.

Be sure to request a checking account as well if you're not issued one automatically. With the checking account you get their Visa DEBIT card which they are willing to mail abroad. There is a 1 percent foreign transaction fee though. 

Joining ACA may have been overkill. I suggested it as opposed to the cheap fee consumer group only as a proactive measure in case you encounter a problem opening an expat account based on your lack of credit history that you would have a lobbying group to "complain" to about it. It could be you've wasted some money with that, and if so, my regrets. In any case ACA is a worthy organization and the only lobbying organization interested in expat issues so you've done a good thing giving them some money regardless. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, livram said:

This morning I joined ACA @$55 for one year with no problem. Then I started the SDFCU online to join and open savings account. Everything went OK but I know I will have to submit copy of Passport, bill with address, etc. I could have done it with the initial application but I didn't have copies ready for upload.

Will advise how it goes.

What is ACA@$55?

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

What is ACA@$55?

Already referred to on this thread.

https://www.americansabroad.org/

To open an account at SDFCU unless you're a state department employee, etc. you are required to be a member of one of their associated organizations. ACA is one of them that is particularly interested in expat banking issues. There is a cheap option, an American consumer group, for only 8 dollars that will qualify as well. 

Don't just limit yourself to the banks, there are US based international brokerage firms with which you can open an account with a Thai address. i only have experience with Schwab, serves me well. The fees free ATM is great and the international SWIFT transfer is easy to order. You may not like the $25,000 minimum to open an account but there are others.

money102.JPG

Edited by Thailand J

Today I received a reply to my email of 7SEP re: direct deposit info. Here is what SS manila said, as follows:

The processing time depends on the direct deposit that you will change to.

·        If you are changing from Bangkok bank to U.S. bank or another account number but still with Bangkok bank, credit may be next month or after 2 months. It depends when the input was done as there is a cycle payment that Social Security observes.

o   Please advise us the routing and account number for U.S. bank

o   For other Bangkok bank, please complete the attached form and return to us using this email.

·        If you will change with other direct deposit account, please let us know which country that direct deposit is established so we can assess.