What to do in case of assault?

falangUK

Hi all,

Got into an altercation with an employee of a restaurant because the gentleman moved my motorbike twice on the same day (afternoon and around 2 am) from the spot where it was parked at Tesco lotus, in order to let the customers of his restaurant park.  

On both occasions I asked/(warned) him not to move my bike because it was not parked in their parking. 

What concerns me is on the 2nd occasion he denied moving the bike and then responded with the typical "you want fighting?" response ???? 

Tried calling tourist police and the new helpline 1111 (think I woke someone up at 2 am) with the usual result.

I find it rather difficult to keep a cool head and do the S*it eating grin especially when I am p*ssed off

Also I have a feeling that this will happen again whenever I park in the future, which might escalate into a fight (I know how stupid getting in to fight with 10+ Thais on my own)

What is the best course of action in case of assault? 

Or is there a better way to handle this? would be grateful for any advice from anyone with experience ????

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

For the ease of life could you not be the bigger man and simply just park your bike somewhere else?

How do you really think this woukd end well or what are you expecting to be the final result?

Very sensible advice indeed, this is probably the best course of action. 
But 
1. I would lose face
2. I would feel bad about running away from conflict. I've probably walked away from too many.
3. The gent has no right to move my bike because I am not parking in his premises. 

How do you really think this woukd end well 
>>> I don't think it will end well. 

or what are you expecting to be the final result?
>> Not really sure. but just hate the idea of having to be a p*ussy 

31 minutes ago, falangUK said:

But 
1. I would lose face
2. I would feel bad about running away from conflict. I've probably walked away from too many.
3. The gent has no right to move my bike because I am not parking in his premises. 

A diagram would help understand the logistics of this. I presume you at least close the area which could be considered in front of his shop?

But 
1. I would lose face

You are on the best and fastest way to make Thai Visa headlines as another farang body found having done suicide from multiple stab wounds in his back... [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my CPH1821 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

It's Tesco's problem ownership, not yours, if another business is using their parking spaces. 

Precisely, last time this happened I complained to the Tesco store manager, she in turn contacted police and the owner of the restaurant and the problem and the offender went away for about 1yr.

1 hour ago, falangUK said:

What's wrong with being a p*ussy?

It beats the ass off being dead.

No disrespect meant but I see that you are fairly new to TVF. Keep reading. It is a great resource to help learn "how the wheels turn" in Thailand.

Get into a fight; it won't be one on one. Probably more like 5 on you.

Park elsewhere. Enjoy the reasons you are in Thailand. Live and let live, a good rule for any foreigner (like me).

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

No disrespect meant but I see that you are fairly new to TVF. Keep reading. It is a great resource to help learn "how the wheels turn" in Thailand.

Park elsewhere. Enjoy the reasons you are in Thailand. Live and let live, a good rule for any foreigner (like me).

>>> Can't argue with that ????

>> Never been perceptive enough to fit into any culture/country that I ever lived in ????

>>> Probably 10 excluding the Burmese staff ????

>>> Maybe that's the whole point, I have become bored of LOS! kind of difficult to see (or remember) the reasons for the 7+ yrs of extended holiday in LOS

Is this the most important thing that's happened to you today - someone moving your m/c?

Be adult about it, & move your m/c to a place that doesn't inconvenience anyone, allows other people to park, & doesn't cause childish confrontation.

In short. Grow up!

:smile:

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Is this the most important thing that's happened to you today - someone moving your m/c?

Be adult about it, & move your m/c to a place that doesn't inconvenience anyone, allows other people to park, & doesn't cause childish confrontation.

In short. Grow up!

:smile:

Nope I think for the whole week ????  or maybe the whole month! I am bored!

>>> I think I will ditch the m/c and walk, I do inconvenience the Thai drivers and riders, especially when they are dither ????

In short. Grow up!

HOW?

Easier said than done! change the habits of a lifetime? ????

37 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Advice: park somewhere else and forget about all the "loosing face" s**t, you are not a Thai

This advice is 100% correct - by not entering into the infantile game of losing face you already reveal yourself to be the bigger man. Park a bit further away, let the idiot think he's won. Choose your fights wisely, this shouldn't be one of them. 

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

This advice is 100% correct - by not entering into the infantile game of losing face you already reveal yourself to be the bigger man. Park a bit further away, let the idiot think he's won. Choose your fights wisely, this shouldn't be one of them. 

Choose your fights wisely   >> Cheers ???? I really need to focus on this. Not the first time I've been adviced to "Choose your fights wisely". I guess it's all about the 80/20 Pareto principle. 

6 minutes ago, falangUK said:

Choose your fights wisely   >> Cheers ???? I really need to focus on this. Not the first time I've been adviced to "Choose your fights wisely". I guess it's all about the 80/20 Pareto principle. 

Good that you're taking the replies in the right spirit. To elaborate on your original question "what to do in case of assault?", first thing would be to go to the hospital and have your head wound stitched up, as any altercation would likely result in you being bottled from behind by one of the restaurant owner's lackeys. Thais are notorious for not fighting fair, and walking away from a situation even when the other party is clearly in the wrong in no way marks you as a pussy. 

This has been going on for over a year and now your asking? 

Every suggestion made  you've tried.

Except the "walk away and live to fight another day" yet thats kinda what you've been doing for a year now. Park it under the bridge.????

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Good that you're taking the replies in the right spirit. To elaborate on your original question "what to do in case of assault?", first thing would be to go to the hospital and have your head wound stitched up, as any altercation would likely result in you being bottled from behind by one of the restaurant owner's lackeys. Thais are notorious for not fighting fair, and walking away from a situation even when the other party is clearly in the wrong in no way marks you as a pussy. 

Cheers ???? also what is the best course of re/action when I meet this gent next time? 
1. Smile
2. Ignore
3. Nut'em?? (Bad idea?)

4. etc?

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Except the "walk away and live to fight another day" yet thats kinda what you've been doing for a year now. Park it under the bridge.????

Well I have parking issues ???? at several of my houses too. 

The problem went away for about 1 yr and it's back again now ????

3 minutes ago, falangUK said:

Cheers ???? also what is the best course of re/action when I meet this gent next time? 
1. Smile
2. Ignore
3. Nut'em?? (Bad idea?)

4. etc?

#2 is clearly obvious even though it may piss him right off (but I think that will please you).

Post #19 put it pretty succinctly about the head stitches. Ouch !

3 minutes ago, neeray said:

#2 is clearly obvious even though it may piss him right off (but I think that will please you).

Post #19 put it pretty succinctly about the head stitches. Ouch !

#2 good choice ????  >> Do you really think that it would p*ss him off?

Post #19 put it pretty succinctly about the head stitches. Ouch ! >> I have a clever (backup) plan to wear the helmet ????

3 minutes ago, falangUK said:

#2 good choice ????  >> Do you really think that it would p*ss him off?

Post #19 put it pretty succinctly about the head stitches. Ouch ! >> I have a clever (backup) plan to wear the helmet ????

Good (back up) idea, that helmet. Maybe Kevlar for the rest of your body but perhaps a bit thermal in a tropical country.

I'll stick with #2. Just ignore the prick. Let him feel like the winner even though it will actually be you who won by taking the high road. Face be dammed.

38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Maybe the OP has a death wish.

I wonder what has happened by having his bike moved?     Did it get scratched or something?

Bikes get moved all the time in Thailand and sometimes   by bystanders who are just trying to be helpful.

So this is not an isolated event.

"Well I have parking issues ???? at several of my houses too. 

The problem went away for about 1 yr and it's back again now"

Have you tried to get your wife to help you with the parking difficulties at your several houses?

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

For the ease of life could you not be the bigger man and simply just park your bike somewhere else?

How do you really think this would end well or what are you expecting to be the final result?

sound advice. take it, kick back and enjoy your life. not easy to do but better for you in the long run.

1. Knock him out

2. Piss him off verbally and have camera on a standby . The moment he takes a swing make sure camera is rolling . Before you know it you be getting compensation and he be getting fired.

On a more serious note, if you not willing to park bike elsewhere , stand your ground. Can film him moving your bike and then file police report and charges for either theft or damages 

Archived