What to do in case of assault?

falangUK

Takes more courage to walk than fight sometimes. Weigh it up because you potentially have a lot more to lose than the fight, (freedom,visa status, money) and thats if you win. Imagine copping a flogging and suffering additionally. This isnt your country I assume and if thats correct you would automatically be at some level of fault, just for being there.

I'm hot headed too, so I understand the desire of wanting to give him a flogging, cause that would be my immediate instinct too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Not sure why so many farangs say they love it here, but seem to live in fear of confrontation with the locals.

I avoided conflict in a similar way back home. There is nothing to gain from fighting. No need to prove anything by getting into a fight. I always felt fighting was for the lower class people. 

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Do they walk to work or bring their lunch?

Good question.  On another note I don't think people who live in fear in Thailand would be the same ones who like Thailand.  There was a time when I lived in fear of my draft board but still liked America so I can see how it's possible. 

Just now, robblok said:

I avoided conflict in a similar way back home. There is nothing to gain from fighting. No need to prove anything by getting into a fight. I always felt fighting was for the lower class people. 

My what a limited imagination. Fighting is not the only way to handle confrontation.

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

My what a limited imagination. Fighting is not the only way to handle confrontation.

It is the kind of confrontation that is talked about here in this topic.

I agree there are different ways to confront people, I have no problems with that. I am just against physical confrontation. I try to stay cool because conflict has a way to spiral out of control. 

Recently I got into a situation with Vietnamese immigration.. i could have exploded.. i did not.. i swallowed my pride and in the end stuff was worked out. I think if I had exploded i would be back on a plane at high expenses. Logic.. and staying polite often works (not always of-course)

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I read an article by an ex SEAL officer named Jocko Willink. His advice is walk away, unless you're already being attacked, in which case RUN away, as soon as you can do the minimum to disable your attacker. He wisely points out that if you 'win' the next stop could well be a long jail sentence for assault or worse. If you lose, you could be disabled or dead. All For What? Ego? 

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

It is the kind of confrontation that is talked about here in this topic.

I agree there are different ways to confront people, I have no problems with that. I am just against physical confrontation. I try to stay cool because conflict has a way to spiral out of control. 

Recently I got into a situation with Vietnamese immigration.. i could have exploded.. i did not.. i swallowed my pride and in the end stuff was worked out. I think if I had exploded i would be back on a plane at high expenses. Logic.. and staying polite often works (not always of-course)

Glad you agree.

7 hours ago, falangUK said:

There is another shop between his shop and Tesco. So where I park is 1 shop away, but his restaurant being 24 hr buffet, they encroach on Tesco's parking space.

Appears to me that you`re just being stubborn out of arrogance.

How this works in Thailand. An altercation begins between you and the guy, he calls out his mates that come to support him. Someone gets hurt, the police are called, all parties are asked to make a report at the police station, he accuses you of striking him first and vice-versa. Then it`s left up to the discretion of the police what happens next, usually with a warning and negative results.

But sure, rather than lose face, do stand up and fight for what you consider are your rights. Good luck.

What is the best course of action in case of assault? 

Run away, especially in Thailand as you will have more than one person attacking you. 

Solutions to avoiding a fight.

Park your bike somewhere else

Eat somewhere else

Ignore the guy

Don't let it bother you

mai phen rai

jai yen

Maybe this applies to this topic ? Decades ago there have been jokes about blondes (how stupid/silly they are) going around. One was: Why does a wall tumble down when a blonde (can be replaced by anything) leans on it ?

The brighter one concedes.....

Why do you park at Tesco afternoon and early morning?

- Getting into an argument over a parking space?

- Should be a quiet discussion with the guy and try to work it out. 

- Did you park there the second time just the piss the guy off.

- When I drive our car sometimes a moto will park on my rearend and can’t get out. I just move it and go about my business.

- I understand it’s frustrating and I’ve a bit of a hot head but learned it’s not always the right way. 

- what If it escalates to physical altercation and someone is hurt.

- If others jump in. Then unless up your a really good fighter odds are against you. Plus hospital bills...

- Because of the altercation someone calls the police. Maybe the owner says you park here all the time and seems your looking to cause trouble over the parking. 

- Then hopefully you’ve got you visa, drivers license etc. All in order or it’s another headache. 

- Best to park it where he moved it to and then enjoy whatever you were planning to do. 

If the guy speaks English stop in say hello and it got a little out of hand. Sometimes kindness helps....

whatever you decide good luck.

Make it simple and less stressful....

Get your smartphone out and film him moving your bike, show the recording to Tesco management and police, maybe then they have to act.Or wait for him to move your bike, confront him  in a non-aggressive manner and have somebody else film the interaction.More likely than not , he will become(Thais hate being questioned by farangs)aggressive, then withdraw and see what you can do with the photographic evidence.

It pisses me off too when they act like that, you confront them and you meet with that "I can do whatever I want, and if you don't like it go back to your country kee nok farang" attitude.

21 hours ago, falangUK said:

Very sensible advice indeed, this is probably the best course of action. 
But 
1. I would lose face
2. I would feel bad about running away from conflict. I've probably walked away from too many.
3. The gent has no right to move my bike because I am not parking in his premises. 

How do you really think this woukd end well 
>>> I don't think it will end well. 

or what are you expecting to be the final result?
>> Not really sure. but just hate the idea of having to be a p*ussy 

1 You have no face. 2 Discretion is The better part of valour. 3 Legal rights and street terratorial imperatives dont exist. 4 If You hate the idea of being a pussy you are inadequate looking for trouble. Park your bike where it wont cause trouble. How old are you? Are you an American? If you can only define your masculinity and self worth by fighting over petty issues you need help.

4 hours ago, The manic said:

1 You have no face. 2 Discretion is The better part of valour. 3 Legal rights and street terratorial imperatives dont exist. 4 If You hate the idea of being a pussy you are inadequate looking for trouble. Park your bike where it wont cause trouble. How old are you? Are you an American? If you can only define your masculinity and self worth by fighting over petty issues you need help.

Why does the possibility of being an American have any relevance.

I was assualted once in Australia,i had been cycling and called into the bank to deposit money,i was in full lycra and a man was ogling my legs and rather prominent bulge in my bike tights,he was at the next counter,and reached over and tickled my bulge,my reaction well i gasped, and fled after completing my transaction, he was some kind of body builder type,i had no chance of rounding on the scoundrel,and giving him a punch on the nose,so i fled,can't blame chap really, i had a wonderful body in those days.

Archived