What do you hate most about driving in LOS?

Many dangerous practices I could list, but the one truly ANNOYING thing that gets to me is not indicating to turn right until actually turning the wheel. For example I'm cruising along a dual carriageway approaching a traffic light junction, intending to go straight. There are 36 cars crawling along on the inside lane and just one car in front of me driving along in the outside lane. He doesn't indicate, but stops at the lights. Lights turn green for the left lane and he sits there and then puts on his indicators as he eventually turns. Arrrrghhhh!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Tailgaters that just feel te urge to overtake you even if there's 20 cars ahead of mine.

Slow down a bit. not braking hard, just gently to open up the gap.

Move as far left as you safely can thus encouraging the tale-gater to pass. They are now safely ahead of you and you can drive on in peace. Nothing lost, nothing gained. It's easy really.

Speeding and tailgating.
In every civilised country it is the norm to obey speed limits and distance and you will be considered as unsocial or antisocial.
Here you get the flashlights, middle finger or even worse things if you adhere to speed limits (even plus a tolerance of 10 to 15 km/h) or if you keep safety distance with a 95% probability some idiot in a hurry will cut in front of you...

I like driving in Thailand better than driving in Europe, because the driving is more interesting, no danger of falling asleep.

What I dislike about driving in Thailand:

- traffic jams

- braindead drivers

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Which is completely the opposite to the UK, flashing your lights means COME ON, I'M LETTING YOU GO.

Although this has become common usage of flashing lights in the UK 

The Highway Code states:

110 - Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

111- Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Thai drivers use this rule correctly although I do feel a bit intimidated sometimes.

Nothing! Enjoy driving in LOS like nowhere else (2 wheels). The reasons:

1. No stupid restrictions. Common sense prevails over formal rules.

2. Most drivers are highly considerate of others, ready to give way, willing to help, courteous. No-one insists on their formal right of way (neither do I)

3. Most roads are maintained reasonably well. Excellent service infrastrusture (fill-up, eat, sleep never an issue no matter where you happen to find yourself)

4. It's beautiful!

But. Have to be constantly alert expecting the unexpectable. Must be considerate of others regardless of your formal "rights". No problem with me.

Enjoy your rides! Be happy!

FIRST - no signals when turning left/right or over/under taking.

SECOND - pulling onto main road/turning at U TURN without looking and straight into front of you.

THIRD - Driving towards you in the wrong direction rather than take the longer route to a proper U turn

FOURTH - Double and occasionally triple parking on a road near food stalls.

The clearly very low IQ of drivers here given the utter stupidity of their manoeuvres. It is beyond not being properly trained ,it is a complete lack of basic self preservation ,anticipation and failure to learn from experience. Having done many track days in UK I can see when they try to drive fast they have no idea of handling,braking distances or judgement of distance. I think there’s a 'thick gene,'

For me it's that maybe 70% or even more cannot read traffic, if people learn to read traffic better ,there will be less accidents and less stoppage and traffic jams. And the idiots who drink and drive, or even take the crazy pill and get behind the wheel . Going left and right without signaling, or signaling and going straight away without looking in the mirrors etc etc etc etc etc.

When I first came to Thailand to live, I remember shouting at other drivers all the time under my breath for pretty much driving Thai style. Used to drive me crazy, people pulling out in front of you, motorbikes all around you like pilot fish, u-turns from hell, people driving the wrong way and on and on. After a while I accepted that this is the way it is and adapted. Now, according to the wife, I drive the same way Thais drive, which in a way is kinda scary. The other guy will wait for me when I pull out in front of him, the same as he does to me.  Mai phen rai

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The most dangerous: Thais driving around a right hand bend over the yellow lines (2 lane rural roads).

The most annoying: Thais not being able to wait 5 seconds for an oncoming car to pass but start moving at a slow pace partly on the road and partly on the shoulder.

I <deleted>#$ing hate that. :post-4641-1156693976:

1.  The brain-dead idiots who indicate left, but carry-on, past 3 more sois, before they turn.

2.  The brain-dead idiots who come towards you around a blind bend on the wrong side.

3.  The brain-dead idiots who are driving whilst watching a video.

4.  The brain-dead motorcyclists.

"

"

643.  Basically, all the brain-dead idiots on the road, which is probably 90% of the population.

Two things for me.

Thais, no matter where they are don't know or don't care how to turn right! And (right turn) Uturns are a nightmare as once there is a waiting vehicle in either direction, nobody can see anything coming from behind!

Second. Nobody stops at pedestrian crossings even when pedestrians and a policeman is standing in the road - it's obvious that traffic has precedence, official crossing or not! And if I stop, I am putting pedestrians at risk by traffic that will pass either side of me!

I'm out in it every day....Most of which is easy in town driving during school/commuter times when everyone is basically going in the same direction....

Only a few things tend to tense me up here (drove in the PI) a few years = mano on mano chaos.....Also a bit of time in India - not much, but they are wacko.....

But - 2 things I severely dislike.....One is the people forcing their cars across & into oncoming traffic at U-turns @ about a 30' angle thinking they're going to bully their way through.....These people don't realize that if they are hit in either direction a bunch of vehicles/injuries are going to be involved.....I seldom, if ever, yield to them = now, most other drivers also don't which is better for traffic flow & ultimately safety....My wife didn't understand until I asked her if she wanted the 30 car accident or the 3 car accident....Now she and my daughter know to keep the steering straight & the car straight lined then committing into the U-turn when traffic opens....

Two - driving tight serpentine rural/hilly roads = you just don't know what's coming at you from the other direction; even if you sort of know the road....Makes for blind, hazardous driving.....

Hate seeing pickups filled with people & scooters that are over loaded (with kids) knowing the carnage that could take place....

Driving here can be full of petty annoyances if you let it be.....

Farangs on motorcycles easily have a place toward the top of the stupidity chart.....Possibly because they're easier to notice, but also because the % of poor riding by them is greater.....

gave up driving, my gf has a car so she drives.

what i hate most about, being a pedestrian, about drivers here people driving/riding on the wrong side of the road - it is dumb and so dangerous, also, and farang included here, it's people using mobile phones while driving.

and relax...

This one has to take the cake for me. 

The car in front is driving almost in line with the middle lane so you cannot see what is ahead of that car if you wish to overtake, these idiots not only go slow, they hog the lane, and when you do get a clear run, they accelerate to try and stay the lead car, but once you have past them, they slow right down, <deleted> is that ?

The above and knowing a lot of these idiots don't have licenses, are not registered, their cars are not roadworthy, they are intoxicated or drugged out to the max, and last but not least the cops are nowhere to be seen or enforce the law, and when they are out there, they are checking rego labels <deleted>, but I have learned to live with it, compared to back home where you are too scared to be fined for speeding or not wearing a seat belt or being over the limit etc etc as the police for and fixed cameras, speed, red light, and mobile are literally 100 metres apart from each other, not to mention the variances in speed limits.

So it is what it is, and just have to rely on the turbo to kick ass when overtaking...lol

7 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

All the complete idiots who sit in the right lane when the left lane is empty as far as one can see, complete idiot road hoggs

6 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai are very selfish and really have no idea how to drive safe.

Lane discipline - non existent! - selfish drivers - ME, Me, me attitude! todays rant over, be the same tomorrow ???? 

Archived