Benefits for Thai Child

WalsallRobbo

My newborn baby (8.9.18) is Thai, born in Bangkok, my wife is Thai. I am British and live in the UK. My baby will live in Bangkok for the first year at least.

I have already checked out the UK side and I am not entitled to any benefit, including child support.

Would my wife be able to receive any benefit for my baby?

I now know (through the excellent Sheryl of this forum) that both my baby and wife get free medical support in Thailand.

Robbo is quite correct in saying that he will receive nothing from the UK.If he and/or his wife should go tolive in the UK WITH THEIR CHILD,  then he would be entitled to child benefit and possibly Child Tax Credits.

Doubtful there are any benefits for the child in Thailand from the Thai government. They don't give much away. Just the 30baht healthcare, unless Robbo has health insurance. Even then most Insurers do not cover a child until at least 3 months old.

• Like 1

If you or she pays Social security she can have the birth paid for (up to 20,000 at government hospital) and claim 400 baht per month after that. Thats all you or she will get from the government, and really you are not getting anything because you pay more than that to social security each month anyway..

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Would my wife be able to receive any benefit for my baby?

Congratulations with your baby.

If the mother has been working and paid Social Security, and continue in the system, the answer is YES. I don't know today's rate, but my girlfriend got 350 baht a month for about 6 years.

Edit: Jossthaifarang above replied while I was writing.

Edited by khunPer