Why Chiang Mai?

georgegeorgia

You might be the only person I have ever heard about who has a Thai wife who wanted to stay in Pattaya.  Most want to leave big time.
Why is that?  She have friends or family in town? 
I think CM far out weighs Pattaya as a retirement venue.  Much much better quality of life and I think the people are much more low key, less deperate and friendlier. 
My GF also loves Pattaya but we live in BKK. Everything is so easy. Street food everywhere, baht buses, central world and soon t21 and koh larn is 30 mins and 30 baht, nightlife, cheap drinks, tons of resteraunts .. What's not to like?

I never saw a happy hour in CM. What's up with that?

1 minute ago, blackhorse said:

My GF also loves Pattaya but we live in BKK. Everything is so easy. Street food everywhere, baht buses, central world and soon t21 and koh larn is 30 mins and 30 baht, nightlife, cheap drinks, tons of resteraunts .. What's not to like?

I never saw a happy hour in CM. What's up with that?

Sure, if your life is surrounded around a party or sex, of couse Pattaya.

Koh Larn seriously that place was ruined a few years ago.

There are much more beautiful and unspoiled mountain venues in CM and they do not stink and are not full of crowds and flies.

So, that is not my definition of a retirement lifestyle.

Just to add, I live in Pattaya because I am not ready to be in full retirement mode.  Once I am, CM will be my choice I think much better suited for retirement atmosphere.

PS: the restaurant choices and particularly the locations on rivers and lakes are better in Chiang Mai.

Much better actually many places in the mountains, in and outside the city just spectacular.

Sure, if your life is surrounded around a party or sex, of couse Pattaya.
Koh Larn seriously that place was ruined a few years ago.
There are much more beautiful and unspoiled mountain venues in CM and they do not stink and are not full of crowds and flies.
So, that is not my definition of a retirement lifestyle.
Just to add, I live in Pattaya because I am not ready to be in full retirement mode.  Once I am, CM will be my choice I think much better suited for retirement atmosphere.
PS: the restaurant choices and particularly the locations on rivers and lakes are better in Chiang Mai.
Much better actually many places in the mountains, in and outside the city just spectacular.
Disagree about koh larn. If you don't go to the rubbish tip you won't see it. Was there a few weeks ago and you could count the pebbles in the water from the ferry. Still crystal clear

Sure it's not a premium unspoilt paradise but good for a clean swim and so close to Pattaya

42 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You might be the only person I have ever heard about who has a Thai wife who wanted to stay in Pattaya.  Most want to leave big time.

Why is that?  She have friends or family in town? 

I think CM far out weighs Pattaya as a retirement venue.  Much much better quality of life and I think the people are much more low key, less deperate and friendlier. 

As I said, live some distance from Pattaya, not technically in Pattaya. A fairly typical expat/Thai suburb.

My wife prefers it for a few reasons, not least of which is that her brother and sister both work in Muang Chonburi.

Depends what you call quality of life, we all differ on that but I do agree that the Chiang Mai locals do seem really friendly.

Edited by Spidey

18 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Disagree about koh larn. If you don't go to the rubbish tip you won't see it. Was there a few weeks ago and you could count the pebbles in the water from the ferry. Still crystal clear

Sure it's not a premium unspoilt paradise but good for a clean swim and so close to Pattaya

If you get the baht bus to the far side of the island, 30 baht, Tien beach is my favourite, you have white sandy beaches, tree cover, crystal clear shallow water, ideal for the kids to swim in, and good food brought to your lounger. See as many Thais as farangs there and minimum of Chinese. Great place to chill out for the day with your family.

If you get the baht bus to the far side of the island, 30 baht, Tien beach is my favourite, you have white sandy beaches, tree cover, crystal clear shallow water, ideal for the kids to swim in, and good food brought to your lounger. See as many Thais as farangs there and minimum of Chinese. Great place to chill out for the day with your family.
My favorite to and the topless beer drinking Russian babes in g strings don't go unnoticed but I usually rent a motor bike from the pier side and visit a few of the no China beaches especially if I stay over night
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2018 at 12:14 PM, BritManToo said:

Photo 1: Chang Kian waterfall, 2Km hike above Scout Camp near the Zoo.

Photo 2: Huay Tung Tao lake, 5km drive north along canal road.

Photo 2: Mae Kuang Dam, 2Km drive west of Doi Saket.

Thanks much