Why Chiang Mai?

georgegeorgia

As im getting older i am looking for a place to retire in Thailand.

I have gone off pattaya, 15 years travelling there every year and for some reason i got sick of it.

Bangkok is not for me and Udon Thani was in my sights but it seems to be hot all year round 

i like CM with the sometimes cool weather but im told their is smoke there sometime if the year

So i use to go to CM all the time but last time was about 5 years ago.

can u tell me why you chose CM to live ? Are you retired ?

what facilities do u enjoy there personally and know its for you ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

I also prefer the polluted air from the crop burning in Indonesia rather than that from Myanmar but you can't have everything. All satire aside, there is hardly anywhere in Thailand that is totally pollution free during the burning season, it's a matter of degrees.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes, I am sure because I've been to both places. 

Those so-called average that you posted are misleading and it gave me wrong info in the past. Chiang Mai average temp during hot season is actually 33 -35.

It's actually hotter in CM during the hot season due to it being near mountains. Bangkok hot weather isn't as hot surprisingly.

It's better to rely on real life experiences.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Yes, I am sure because I've been to both places. 

Those so-called average that you posted are misleading and it gave me wrong info in the past. Chiang Mai average temp during hot season is actually 33 -35.

It's actually hotter in CM during the hot season due to it being near mountains. Bangkok hot weather isn't as hot surprisingly.

It's better to rely on real life experiences.

You  often get a cool breeze coming in from the mountains , something you dont get in BKK .

The tall buildings in BBK keep all the heat in 

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

and Udon Thani was in my sights but it seems to be hot all year round

Er dude, you aint been up here in Dec-Jan-early Feb.

The same periods it is cold in CM are the same periods it's cold in Northern Isaan.

Loei (one of my favourite provinces) can be colder than anywhere in Thailand. I've seen 6C up here in UT province.

And just like CM and the NW, Isaan is extremely hot in the summer season Mar-Apr-May before the rains come.

• Like 2

Mountains, lakes, waterfalls, good food, excellent prices, different culture than BKK and south. Beautiful scenery. Housing is 40-80% cheaper than The Big Mango, BKK.

Places so far away from anything and anyone that the noise you hear is the noise you make and the sounds of nature. Don Muang Airport (DMK), and Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) are a 45-minute plane ride,10-hour bus ride. No rat race. Life is slow.

• Like 2

I have been here 10 years, and I can't think of any other city I would rather live in.  We live on the "outskirts" east of the city, and haven't had the smoke problem in our area in the past 7 or eight years.  

I find that CM has everything BKK has, but at much lower prices, and no where near the crime.  

We live in an extremely quiet, middle class moo bahn with most 2 story houses in the 3-5 million baht range.  On our soi, everyone is in bed before 9:00.  Couple of houses have small kids, but they aren't out running the streets, yelling & screaming.  

For 6 years I took motorcycle trips all over the North, Northeast, and Central Thailand, and have yet to find a city I would prefer over CM.  Overall, the people are much friendlier and accommodating.  

CM city is getting worse on the traffic at certain hour of the day, but if you look close, you'll see a good one-fourth of the cars sporting license plates from BKK.  And with the upgrades to the airport, now you never have to go to BKK for a flight any where you want to go.

My only complaint: Too damn many farangs moving here. lol

"I find that CM has everything BKK has"

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Lived 8 years in Bangkok ,12 years in CM.Bangkok is far more humid and has a population of 10 m +  with millions of air cons pumping out hot air.When it rains in Bangkok, and its far heavier than here, roads are flooded and the whole city comes to a standstill.

You get used, when working, to carry a plastic bag for your shoes and roll up your long pants and wade through filthy water.

Bangkok as a retirement environment? forget it the traffic alone will kill you if the bad air 24/7, all year doesnt

.Couldn't wait for retirement and to get out

• Like 2