Thailand Needs Hyperloop—Not China-Built High-Speed Rail, Says Junta Critic

webfact

Thailand Needs Hyperloop—Not China-Built High-Speed Rail, Says Junta Critic

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

>> Tycoon turned politician says Thailand mustn’t rely on China

>> Junta is pursuing $5.6 billion Thai-China high-speed rail plan

A tycoon turned politician who opposes Thailand’s military government has criticized its $5.6 billion high-speed rail project with China because hyperloop technology offers a more modern alternative.

An option such as Richard Branson’s Virgin Hyperloop One -- which is working on building networks of pods traveling at airplane-like speeds -- is better for Thailand as it would help the nation to be a technological leader, according to Future Forward Party head Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit.

“If you invest in high-speed trains, all you do is import everything from abroad, whereas with the hyperloop there’s an opportunity to build the industry in Thailand if you move first,” Thanathorn said in an interview on Monday.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-01/junta-critic-says-thailand-needs-hyperloop-not-china-built-rail

-- Bloomberg 2018-10-02

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The fuller article mentions the above quote.

I must say, Thanathorn does seem at least to be open to learning about and proposing ideas that are from outside the TH/China/APAC sphere.

I imagine this is good, even if only because it opens Thailand up to potential opportunities to advance no matter where the ideas originate.

I have no confidence that he can win though.

I don't know about hyperloop but I pretty darn sure this guy needs a blood transfusion.

• Haha 2

The only bright light on the horizon is the remark about China , before the introduction of a hyperloop system is introduced ( which will never be ) Perhaps the first objective would be to get these thousand of trucks off the roads especially at night with there pretty fancy lights that distract, any road running parallel with a rail line, it should be mandated to carry all goods by rail, then you might find time for other important things like infrastructure and better conditions for your people.

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

Just a terrible idea. Hyperloop, means you have to rebuild the entire railroad network, underground, and with Thailands infamous mess everywhere, I’d say its most likely even messier under the ground then on the ground. I’m curious to know how finely organized things is underground in Thailand.

Hyperloop is proposed to work as having something similar to bus stops, but with elevators for cars to enter/exit the Hyperloop. Is that what he is calling cheaper to build?

Thousands of miles of underground tunnels with tens to hundreds of multiple complex elevator systems in every city is what he wants? In Thailand? lol

Forget it.

And did I mention, they haven’t even built an Hyperloop yet... except one that goes like 10 meters and is falling apart lol.

Unless someone comes up with a model that onloads/offloads cars faster and simpler and brings the total costs down to 1/100th of the cost it currently cost, its an awful and embarrassing idea, mr. Thanathorn.

If ever used, it will only be used in the wealthiest countries that already has a rich network of tunnels laid out, connecting the largest cities and perhaps wealthy neighboring countries, not Thailand.

Should’ve been smart and thought about it decades ago when building something, setting things up for the future at the same time, like Europe and America does, making it a lot easier and cheaper. Instead everything is a clusterfuck in Thailand (think Thailand’s mess with electricity lines) because of corrupt officials, people who doesn’t think ahead (Thai people in general) and no one who wants to step up and take responsibility.

I’ll eat cow poop for dinner for an entire week if its any better underground than on the ground.

Anyway, Thailand isn’t ready for any underground railroad system any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

26 minutes ago, chainarong said:

I don't know about hyperloop but I pretty darn sure this guy needs a blood transfusion.

And maybe even a brain transfusion.

He must live in very isolated cage to come out with such nonsense.

If it's good enough for Branson, it more than sounds like it's good enough for Thanathorn and, being the heavy-tech man that he is, I would place quite a weight on that support . . . and flying in the face of the junta, too . . . weee!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Just a terrible idea. Hyperloop, means you have to rebuild the entire railroad network, underground, and with Thailands infamous mess everywhere, I’d say its most likely even messier under the ground then on the ground. I’m curious to know how finely organized things is underground in Thailand.

It doesn't need to be underground and the technology quoted was Virgin Hyperloop One, which is an over ground system.  The key difference in using Hyperloop technology is the reduction of friction by running electromagnetically levitated pods within a low pressure vacuum tube.

Now, having said that I am still saying that Thailand would be any more capable of building it, but, the technology is now well proven and Virgin Hyperloop One is well ahead of Musk's alternative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's suffering form BUS - Billionaire Unrealism Syndrome. What they need to do first is solve the motorbike/cycle infestation/disease that's killing so many travelers. Or maybe providing a solution for this is also unrealistic?

Edited by MaxYakov

It doesn't need to be underground and the technology quoted was Virgin Hyperloop One, which is an over ground system.  The key difference in using Hyperloop technology is the reduction of friction by running electromagnetically levitated pods within a low pressure vacuum tube.

Now, having said that I am still saying that Thailand would be any more capable of building it, but, the technology is now well proven and Virgin Hyperloop One is well ahead of Musk's alternative.

We’ll see, but considering all the unplanned/unorganized mess everywhere and getting another thing won’t exactly de-cluster, let alone be cheaper than Chinas suggestion. Next to Virgin you also have HTT, but none of these are anywhere close to even become reality anywhere near their marks of early 2020’s. It would be amazing if they did and even more so if it came to Thailand, but no, I won’t be waiting, and when it comes we have already had good use for Chinas railroad system for more than 15 years, even though that also will make even more of a mess in the cities of Thailand than it already is.

I think what Thailand really needs first and foremost is a massive cleanup, start reorganizing and rebuild the terrible infrastructure then start talking about adding things like this (that won’t really benefit Thailand all that much, compared to an improved infrastructure).

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I must say, Thanathorn does seem at least to be open to learning about and proposing ideas that are from outside the TH/China/APAC sphere.

I imagine this is good, even if only because it opens Thailand up to potential opportunities to advance no matter where the ideas originate.

i agree with you, it's about creating an environment where people/organisations/the government are open to new ideas and look at what works well instead of cobbling things together e.g. public transport in bangkok. it will be a long hard journey for thailand but every journey starts with one small step.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

It is refreshing to hear Thanathorn say that he wants to pursue a particular design and construction project 'so that Thailand isn’t reliant on China'. Great! I don't know whether Thanathorn's idea is viable or not (I know far too little about hyperloops), but at least he is thinking along the lines of wrenching Thailand away from slave-to-China status, which can only be applauded (in my books). This young man certainly has vision - and is like a breath of fresh air after the decrepit, dusty old dinosaurs, who sadly are still very much with us ...

• Like 2

Thailand doesn't need the Hyperloop 

The huge investment and the possible low level of income makes this dream not feasable.

High speed rail then?

Same, huge investment no income, besides Chinese lines are strategic for China, not for Thailand.

Thailand needs a huge investment in the existing rail system, resulting in a max speed of 160 km/h and an average speed of 120 km/h.

Thailand need cross country rail lines, all rail lines now go to Bangkok.

The existing system needs new rolling stock, passenger and freight.

Any new system will eat away the possible profit of the existing system and will never get enough customers to break even.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOAX said:

Hyperloop is proposed to work as having something similar to bus stops, but with elevators for cars to enter/exit the Hyperloop. Is that what he is calling cheaper to build?

Thousands of miles of underground tunnels with tens to hundreds of multiple complex elevator systems in every city is what he wants? In Thailand? lol

Forget it.

And did I mention, they haven’t even built an Hyperloop yet... except one that goes like 10 meters and is falling apart lol.

Unless someone comes up with a model that onloads/offloads cars faster and simpler and brings the total costs down to 1/100th of the cost it currently cost, its an awful and embarrassing idea, mr. Thanathorn.

If ever used, it will only be used in the wealthiest countries that already has a rich network of tunnels laid out, connecting the largest cities and perhaps wealthy neighboring countries, not Thailand.

Should’ve been smart and thought about it decades ago when building something, setting things up for the future at the same time, like Europe and America does, making it a lot easier and cheaper. Instead everything is a clusterfuck in Thailand (think Thailand’s mess with electricity lines) because of corrupt officials, people who doesn’t think ahead (Thai people in general) and no one who wants to step up and take responsibility.

I’ll eat cow poop for dinner for an entire week if its any better underground than on the ground.

Anyway, Thailand isn’t ready for any underground railroad system any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I think Khun Thanathorn should have done more research before yabbing about Hyperloop. 

Hyperloop alone costs 11.5 Million USD per mile to build and can hold a capacity of no more than 40 people at a time. 

However, if you google the hyperloop capacity you will get a figure that says 840 passengers per hour traveling between 5 minute stations. Now that's fast but it is only a theoretical figure.  

I do not see the practical-ness of Hyperloop just yet. Then again, when was Elon Musk ever practical with any of his products. Even his Tesla cars take 9.5 hours to charge for a 300 kilometer drive, his mini-subs didn't even fit in a cave, his spaceX program planning on colonizing the moon. 

I like critical thinkers but lets not act like sheep just because Khun Thanathorn is an anti-junta politician.  Have some common sense.

• Like 2

The whole thing needs to be in a vacuum with no leaks - no one has ever built one longer than a short test run. Better to stick to the Chinese train at least it works and if Thailand beats up any more of their tourists they can just flick a switch..   ????

I’ll grant you that I though it was talking about Elon Musk’s The Boring Company’s Hyperloop, but I corrected that in my previous post, and like I said there, it isn’t anywhere near anything, and most certainly not finishing anything at their own mark of early 2020’s, let alone building one in Thailand. Could just as well just build the Chinese one in the mean time because it isn’t very likely any Hyperloop will hit the streets of Thailand anytime soon, or even before 2035. By that time the Chinese one has benefited Thailand much enough to become profitable and most likely even to fund the Hyperloop.

I would love to have the Hyperloop, I just don’t believe shit out of the blue. Is it possible? Yeah sure, but not within that timeframe and most certainly not in Thailand. And to be honest, what people really don’t want is just another clusterfuck. Thailand really needs a good cleanup first. The dude in the article said the Hyperloop is cheaper than the Chinese alternative. No, far from it and very far from it if Thailand isn’t just going to add another source of cluster on top of cluster.

Hyperloop isn’t coming to Thailand anytime soon, and the dude in the article is only making a fool out of himself.

• Like 1

It is not really about hyperloop or China. The question should be how to bring the country into this century. key topics should be corruption, nepotism, democracy, education, and the list goes on. somewhere down the line are also transport, road safety, etc.

• Like 2

Ridiculous, Thailand doesn't need a hyperloop or a Chinese built highspeed rail system. Thailand needs a safe reliable regular rail system. Possibly double track on busy routes.  

• Like 2

I can just see it now, a network of big blue plastic pipes, installed by Thailand’s famous plumbers, festooned with communications wires like every Thai street, with power provided by transformers on poles with taped together connections like every condo I’ve ever lived in, what could possibly go wrong?

14 hours ago, HOAX said:

I’ll grant you that I though it was talking about Elon Musk’s The Boring Company’s Hyperloop, but I corrected that in my previous post, and like I said there, it isn’t anywhere near anything, and most certainly not finishing anything at their own mark of early 2020’s, let alone building one in Thailand. Could just as well just build the Chinese one in the mean time because it isn’t very likely any Hyperloop will hit the streets of Thailand anytime soon, or even before 2035. By that time the Chinese one has benefited Thailand much enough to become profitable and most likely even to fund the Hyperloop.

I would love to have the Hyperloop, I just don’t believe shit out of the blue. Is it possible? Yeah sure, but not within that timeframe and most certainly not in Thailand. And to be honest, what people really don’t want is just another clusterfuck. Thailand really needs a good cleanup first. The dude in the article said the Hyperloop is cheaper than the Chinese alternative. No, far from it and very far from it if Thailand isn’t just going to add another source of cluster on top of cluster.

Hyperloop isn’t coming to Thailand anytime soon, and the dude in the article is only making a fool out of himself.

I do not say this. Not sure how I became associated with this post!