Is Thailand All That if you have to work everyday?

bwpage3

53 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Gee, lets see? Chulalongkorn or Oxford or Harvard? Is your opinion Chula is on par with Oxford?

I've stayed in Gainesville area for many years. At least for most students. U of Florida ain't Harvard or Oxford either.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 5:14 AM, bwpage3 said:

On 10/2/2018 at 5:14 AM, bwpage3 said
Part of my point.
Why would you want to raise your kids in one of the worst educational systems in the world?
Thai is a language and education that is useless outside of Thailand.
Young families that are working, getting older every year and have no avenue to a pension or anything else for their future.

One of my biggest regrets is not moving home before my son started High School. He’d been through elementary school in Singapore, which thankfully set him up pretty well, but his Thai education was awful (appalling) . It certainly made it much much harder for him when he went to college in the US

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Sad 1

On every post there is always that one guy that everyone they know is a CEO, Lawyer, Business Owner, etc. and seems to think that is the norm in Thailand?

One would think if everyone was a lawyer, CEO, etc. that there wouldn't be 10,000+ posts about people having VISA Issues, VISA Run Issues, Overstay, how to stay in Thailand, etc.

Correct?

One always hardly ever, if ever, see's anyone posting here claiming to be a CEO, lawyer etc.

The post has nothing to do with a positive outlook on life.

The post is about is Thailand all that if you have to work every single day?

Now, when people stick to the post topic, they get sensible replies like this that directly address the topic:

I have lived in Thailand twice. The first time I worked, commuted everyday. This time I work for myself, work when I want. For me Thailand is hell if you work 9 to 5, and heaven if you don't. It is crazy how much the two contrast, but in my opinion it is true. Dealing with the intermingling Thai and foreign staff and commuting in bkk alone is about a ten on the life annoyance scale

This poster understood and directly responded to the topic in an honest manner.

Pretty simple post, however, always the bunch that want to turn it into something personnel and start blaming for any little thing.

Now one poster, who claims to make more money working in Thailand, driving his air con car to work, walking 10 meters to his air con office, seems to think all of the expats enjoy this luxury?

To understand the post:

1. You would have had to have been working in Thailand full-time and had the experience of what that was like.

2. Have the experience of working in Thailand full-time and then retiring or not having to work

3. Visiting Thailand on multiple holidays, then moving to Thailand and having to work full time

Seems pretty simple to understand to answer the post?

You have to really wonder about these folks who never answer a post and always turn it into a negative attack against the poster.

Seems to me in your opinion ,to understand the post we basically have to agree with you.
I and some others have pointed out that your thinking in your original post is flawed and to work in Thailand does not mean you are wasting away your working years.
Better salary, better job, better climate and far more days off than you could hope to have in corporate America.
Would love to know what really happened to you out here that has made you so bitter.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Seems to me in your opinion ,to understand the post we basically have to agree with you.
I and some others have pointed out that your thinking in your original post is flawed and to work in Thailand does not mean you are wasting away your working years.
Better salary, better job, better climate and far more days off than you could hope to have in corporate America.
Would love to know what really happened to you out here that has made you so bitter.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Your kidding yourself right?

Better salary, better job, better climate and far more days off than you could hope to have in corporate America

Have any facts to back any of this up?

Better salary? Give me a break. Corporate America Salaries as unmatched in Thailand if you have an advanced education/skill. My annual bonus last week is more than many expats will make working a few years in Thailand and that is just the annual bonus, not including salary. So yes I dispute your claim.

Better climate? Not better than Florida that is for damn sure. Monsoon rains 6 months a year? If that is your definition of a better climate, do a little research because the facts are all there. Better than what? You offer no evidence of anything.

No one is bitter, if anything, why is so hard for you to read a post and respond to it correctly without interjecting your pissing contest?

One poster answered it correctly, yet you are still trying to turn this into a personal pissing contest.

One poster had the experience of working everyday 9 to 5 in Bangkok (Which he hated), then working for himself on his time which he loved.

That is the idea of the post. To hear from people that have EXPERIENCE both ways.

A side issue of this post was what to do about retirement if you are working in Thailand with no pension as many have mentioned?

No one said you had to agree with anything and you certainly do not.

However, if you have no experience working in Thailand 9 to 5, versus living there and not having to work, you cannot answer this post with any relevance.

If that is the case, don't be bitter and make personal attacks.

Why post at all if you have ZERO experience with the post?

Go back and educate yourself, if you are in your 30's and 40's working in Thailand as a school teacher etc. you are wasting prime years of your earning life making little money with zero pension or future savings.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that.

Example if you pay into the US social security system for 40 years making a few hundred thousand dollars a year, you are not going to get the same social security as someone who spend 20 years in Thailand and didn't pay anything. In this sense, yes you would be wasting away your working years; if you can do basic math.

You don't have to be bitter when someone asked a basic question if Thailand is the same experience if you have to get up and go to work everyday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

One of my biggest regrets is not moving home before my son started High School. He’d been through elementary school in Singapore, which thankfully set him up pretty well, but his Thai education was awful (appalling) . It certainly made it much much harder for him when he went to college in the US

Only the people that have experience this first hand will ever truly understand how poor the Thai education system is.

On 10/2/2018 at 6:14 PM, bwpage3 said:

Part of my point.

Why would you want to raise your kids in one of the worst educational systems in the world?

Thai is a language and education that is useless outside of Thailand.

Young families that are working, getting older every year and have no avenue to a pension or anything else for their future.

There are excellent schools here that teach in English and Thai. Good universities, I've taught, and my friends teach US level PhD courses in English. Thai is a lingua franca is Laos, Cambodia and eastern Myanmar, I've spoken Thai in Ha Noi, Penang and Singapore, so it's not useless. Useless language? My three years in Japan made me fluent and useless outside Japan.

Your attitude is probably influenced by your work and familial situation. Up to you.   

8 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

There are excellent schools here that teach in English and Thai. Good universities, I've taught, and my friends teach US level PhD courses in English. Thai is a lingua franca is Laos, Cambodia and eastern Myanmar, I've spoken Thai in Ha Noi, Penang and Singapore, so it's not useless. Useless language? My three years in Japan made me fluent and useless outside Japan.

Your attitude is probably influenced by your work and familial situation. Up to you.   

Where in the international business world, academia or anywhere else outside of Thailand, is Thai used?

You obvious did not read the latest world rankings for Universities which had Thailand's best around 660?

Are you a PhD and all your friends are PhD's teaching in Thailand for peanuts?

Can you point us to any direct links where US PhD classes are taught in English in Thailand?

You can always find people to speak any language in any country. Even more so with countries close borders to each other.

Do you not think people travel between countries? Might be a reason why the aircraft are always full?

Where in the international business world, academia or anywhere else outside of Thailand, is Thai used?

The truthful answer is NO WHERE!

PS there are Japanese factories all over the world so yes indeed, Japanese is a useful language if you are in automotive, robotics or other industries

Another PS

Thailand is the slave labor for numerous Japanese Car Manufacturers inside of Thailand.

You think these Japanese Automotive Execs speak Thai or Japanese?

Pretty sure they don't go back to Japan speaking Thai.

20 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:
10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Only the people that have experience this first hand will ever truly understand how poor the Thai education system is.

Interesting..... Which school did he go to Thailand?

If it was a Thai Government school or an average Bilingual School - then I completely understand. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have experience of working in offices in Aberdeen, London, Delhi, Dubai, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, London, Manila....

I also have plenty of experience 'not working' in Bangkok. 

Clearly, not working in Bangkok is better than working in Bangkok... not working anywhere is better !

Relating specifically to Bangkok... I gave up driving to work because of the traffic or left home much earlier only to get caught in traffic on the homeward journey. Ultimately I took the skytrain more but again hated the overcrowded return and often found myself walking a couple of stops home rather than navigate the huge crowds and queues at the Asoke interchange...  arriving home pished wet through in sweat was no fun. 

But the commute in many of the other countries is not better with perhaps the exception of Aberdeen in the car... or Singapore on the Bus / MRT....

Truthfully - a commute to work is awful unless there is no traffic and parking is easy to find - both would be a rare gem.

Thus... over 20 years in Thailand working here and in other countries permits a fair comparison. However, perhaps the difference is that I work rotation and whatever I have to deal with is only dealt with for a month at a time so the contempt that accompanies familiarity has little time to settle in...  But that does allow me a frame of reference between working fully time (for a month) and living in BKK on days off. 

It seems as though the OP wishes to shoe-horn anyone living and working in Thailand into one depressing box, he only accepts those opinions which fit his idea... the reality is there is a huge spectrum of expats in a huge spectrum of positions and circumstances and for many... Working every Day is fine... 

The title of the Op is "Is Thailand All that if you have to work every day?".... Well, no where is all that if you have to work all day... so the Op is correct...  but his opening post outlines many negative issues which impact a percentage of 'future-less' expats and, again his observations would be accurate... but not all expats are in this 'future-less' boat... The point many, including I, have been attempting to put forwards is that there is a large proportion of expats in Thailand with solid futures - the Op seems unable to accept this and instead appears to be suggesting that every other expat in Thailand is some desperado without a future... or at least a 1:1000 ratio of working expats with a solid future to 'future-less desperados'.. 

It would be nice Richard if you would provide some facts on your numbers?

There wouldn't be 10,000+ posts of people who have difficulty getting a VISA if a large proportion of expats had solid futures.

I think the amount of expats with solid futures is the definite minority.

Facts would be nice. Pretty sure 1000 to 1 ration is quite accurate

30 years ago there was tons of expats of a full expat ride. That number has dwindled to almost none

Why do you think there are so many people on this forum that teach school and very few claiming to be on a full time expat ride?

You have already mentioned the commute, the sweat, etc. which is the answers I was seeking.

If you have to go through that every single day, it cannot possibly be the same Thai life as being retired and not having to do anything or be forced to get up and go to work

Before you went off on a tangent, you actually answered the question

Clearly, not working in Bangkok is better than working in Bangkok

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting..... Which school did he go to Thailand?

If it was a Thai Government school or an average Bilingual School - then I completely understand. 

He went to โรงเรียนนานาชาติขอนแก่น, which is a private international school in Khon Kaen. The best I can say is that I probably paid for him to have a better quality of friends

7 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Where do i start ?

Firstly the things i mentioned were better for me, no idea about America and no wish to find out.

Secondly i answered your post, but as you did not like the answers you have decided i am bitter, in fact according to you only one person answered your post correctly, no surprise there considering he kind of agreed with you.

Thirdly this is an open forum, you don't get to decide who can post but as i have some 10 years experience of working here 9 to 5 i do feel i have some insight into what it is like.

Fact is some of us enjoy working here, have good futures with solid pension plans, deal with it.

It is quite apparent you are contradicting yourself. This is your quote.

Better salary, better job, better climate and far more days off than you could hope to have in corporate America

Then you make the quote

no idea about America and no wish to find out.

Which one is it?

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

It is quite apparent you are contradicting yourself. This is your quote.

Then you make the quote

no idea about America and no wish to find out.

Which one is it?

Fair point, i was actually comparing holidays, however we both have no idea regarding salaries and i have no desire to find out.

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

He went to โรงเรียนนานาชาติขอนแก่น, which is a private international school in Khon Kaen. The best I can say is that I probably paid for him to have a better quality of friends

My son went to Prem Tinsulanonda International School in Chiang Mai

Came back to USA in eighth grade a year behind.

Heading to Uni. of Florida 2019 so I don't blame him one bit

With English, Thai and now his fifth year of Spanish, he is well on his way

Spending huge amounts of money in Thailand for a supposed international school education did not pan out in our case

https://ptis.ac.th/

Just now, bwpage3 said:

There wouldn't be 10,000+ posts of people who have difficulty getting a VISA if a large proportion of expats had solid futures.

30 years ago there was tons of expats of a full expat ride. That number has dwindled to almost none

Why do you think there are so many people on this forum that teach school and very few claiming to be on a full time expat ride?

You have already mentioned the commute, the sweat, etc. which is the answers I was seeking.

If you have to go through that every single day, it cannot possibly be the same Thai life as being retired and not having to do anything or be forced to get up and go to work

Your point being that Not working is better than working... Well of course - wouldn't that be so anywhere?

No one likes getting up early for work, having to commute... but these differences are no worse in Bangkok than anywhere else... even the traffic is awful in most other cities and where it isn't the traffic reduction measures (i.e. congestion charge / price of licence in Singapore) mean traveling by private car is not an option.... 

Thus: It would seem you are not looking for a comparison that Working in Thailand is more or less favorable to working and living in other countries.... you are looking for people to agree with you that not working is better than working....  Why didn't you say so at the beginning ? !!!

No one would disagree with you... 

But, the points you raised with regards to healthcare, pensions, lack of future etc and the lack of future those working in Thailand encourages comparison with working in countries where you consider these same people would have a future (well, more of a future, pensions etc)... i.e. our home countries...  in which case you have side tracked your own thread with the comparison between working and not working and any comparison draw to fit this side track is like comparing apples & oranges... 

4 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I guess not many people “claim to be on a full expat ride” because of the implicit jealousy of posts like yours.  

My my commute to work in Bangkok was pleasant enough, the working environment ok, the work less successful than we had hoped, but a few of my expat colleagues are still there and seem happy enough.  None of them have asked me about opportunities to leave.

School in Bangkok was comparable in price and quality to the school that the kids go to, back in The Old Country.  I suppose it’s nice to live near the beach, but it was easy enough to get away to one in Thailand.

I’d be happy to work in Thailand again, if the opportunity arose.

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkokhatter said:

Fair point, i was actually comparing holidays, however we both have no idea regarding salaries and i have no desire to find out.

I have an idea since I lived in Thailand for 10 years.

I also have an idea because being back in Corporate America, I won't ever be one of those trying to live in Thailand on 45,000 baht a month retirement 

1 minute ago, bwpage3 said:

Spending huge amounts of money in Thailand for a supposed international school education did not pan out in our case

For us it was almost comical if it wasn’t so tragic. Being born in Singapore, and the fact we spoke English as our first language at home, he was totally fluent, yet I would read his English homework, and it was enough to make you want to cry. As for the rest, math etc, it was equally awful relative to what I would have experienced in a US High School

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your point being that Not working is better than working... Well of course - wouldn't that be so anywhere?

No one likes getting up early for work, having to commute... but these differences are no worse in Bangkok than anywhere else... even the traffic is awful in most other cities and where it isn't the traffic reduction measures (i.e. congestion charge / price of licence in Singapore) mean traveling by private car is not an option.... 

Thus: It would seem you are not looking for a comparison that Working in Thailand is more or less favorable to working and living in other countries.... you are looking for people to agree with you that not working is better than working....  Why didn't you say so at the beginning ? !!!

No one would disagree with you... 

But, the points you raised with regards to healthcare, pensions, lack of future etc and the lack of future those working in Thailand encourages comparison with working in countries where you consider these same people would have a future (well, more of a future, pensions etc)... i.e. our home countries...  in which case you have side tracked your own thread with the comparison between working and not working and any comparison draw to fit this side track is like comparing apples & oranges... 

I think lack of Health Care is a major concern across many posts on TV

Pensions? There is a whole post 20+ pages long of people living marvelously on 45,000 thb a month. Not my idea of a pension.

I believe the differences are much worse in Bangkok as others have pointed out.

Traffic completely gridlocked.

Parking almost impossible to find.

If you have to walk and take the BTS, soaked in sweat.

Gridlock traffic at quitting time even worse.

Now I lived in Thailand and fortunately did not live in Bangkok or have to do the 9 to 5

I can completely understand living in Thailand being retired.

However, the point of this post is people like yourself seem to accept all the negatives of doing the 9 to 5 in Bangkok and compare it as the same in the rest of the world; which is isn't.

Me for instance? I live 9.5 miles from my cushy corporate American Job. Easily driven in 14 minutes with zero traffic. Park right at the front of the building, perhaps walk 10 feet to the door.

Now how would I compare that to getting to work in Bangkok as others have mentioned? To me it would be maddening and not worth it. 

We would get up at 2:00 AM to drive to Isaan just to get out of Bangkok before the daily gridlock set in.

For you, you accept it, A) because you want to be there and you like it or B) You are forced to be there and have to put up with it

Me I was curious to know how people felt once they moved there and had NO choice but to put up with the 9 to 5?

All that gridlock is indeed wasted time

11 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I guess not many people “claim to be on a full expat ride” because of the implicit jealousy of posts like yours.  

My my commute to work in Bangkok was pleasant enough, the working environment ok, the work less successful than we had hoped, but a few of my expat colleagues are still there and seem happy enough.  None of them have asked me about opportunities to leave.

School in Bangkok was comparable in price and quality to the school that the kids go to, back in The Old Country.  I suppose it’s nice to live near the beach, but it was easy enough to get away to one in Thailand.

Implicit jealously? We are trying to get some facts from people working the 9 to 5 grind in Thailand.

I was there for 10 years, didn't trap myself, moved back to Corporate America.

What jealousy are you referring to?

Any one that claims School in Bangkok was comparable in price and quality to the school that the kids go to, back in The Old Country is full of themselves

Others such as myself that have real experience with this understand that Thai schools are some of the worlds worst

Do you ever read the educational statistics or rankings of Thai schools?

Statistics, facts, not just because you think so and so

The fact is not many are on a fill expat ride

Did you read the 1000's of posts of people living on 45,000 baht per month or you just make up your own stories?

10 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Me I was curious to know how people felt once they moved there and had NO choice but to put up with the 9 to 5?

All that gridlock is indeed wasted time

I used to commute to work in London 5x a week then once more for overtime.

Took me 90 minutes each way. It's the way most people in the western world live.

If you live in America, why do you post on a Thai forum?

When I was back in the UK, 2016-2018, I didn't post here at all.

You tell us your life is great, but you sure spend a lot of time posting here!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

My my commute to work in Bangkok was pleasant enough

bangkoktrafficjam-680715-lw.jpg

17 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Understood...  And this is why I live in Bangkok. 

If I couldn't get my Son into what I consider to be one of the best Int'l schools in Bangkok (BKK Patana) we'd be in the UK. 

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Implicit jealously? We are trying to get some facts from people working the 9 to 5 grind in Thailand.

I was there for 10 years, didn't trap myself, moved back to Corporate America.

What jealousy are you referring to?

Any one that claims School in Bangkok was comparable in price and quality to the school that the kids go to, back in The Old Country is full of themselves

Others such as myself that have real experience with this understand that Thai schools are some of the worlds worst

Do you ever read the educational statistics or rankings of Thai schools?

Statistics, facts, not just because you think so and so

The fact is not many are on a fill expat ride

Did you read the 1000's of posts of people living on 45,000 baht per month or you just make up your own stories?

I’m just telling you my story.  Apparently your story was different.

I have former colleagues whose children are still at the same school that my children went to, and they believe it to be a good school as well.  To the best of my knowledge, my daughter’s classmates from that school are not struggling in various Western universities, and nor does my daughter anticipate struggling academically.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

I’m just telling you my story.  Apparently your story was different.

I have former colleagues whose children are still at the same school that my children went to, and they believe it to be a good school as well.  To the best of my knowledge, my daughter’s classmates from that school are not struggling in various Western universities, and nor does my daughter anticipate struggling academically.

They are not your kids so you really have no direct knowledge what is happening.

Western Universities can mean the Kangaroo Uni, doesn't mean anything if you are in a no name Uni anywhere

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

Why do you drive down that road?  It’s easy to find pictures of cars in any city.  

Be serious, is there any road into the city that is not backed up like this because if you are answer yes, send a photo.