question about elderly Samsung TV

gingerandtabby

Not normally cost effective to fix older LED TV sets (that is what you are talking about)?  Shop might come to pick up and give you an estimate (if in city) so that might be an option - let them keep if costs too much to fix.  New sets are very lightweight and likely better picture using a lot less electric and costs have come down a lot (especially for local made brands).

• Like 1

Sort of on topic! Has anyone had a Samsung screen repaired. I think damp got into the layer under (in between screen layers?) so picture is very blurry. Otherwise it works perfectly OK. It is quite old (older flat screen model), shame to throw it away.

49 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Sort of on topic! Has anyone had a Samsung screen repaired. I think damp got into the layer under (in between screen layers?) so picture is very blurry. Otherwise it works perfectly OK. It is quite old (older flat screen model), shame to throw it away.

It is not a double image by any chance?  Samsung is known for that and had happened to me and repaired by following instructions on Youtube (have to cover some of the tabs on connecting strap and get it into perfect position).  Has been working fine for 2 years since repair. 

• Like 1

Not really double image, its more like a grey cloud. It started off as a small patch and the patch has grown bigger (now covers the whole screen). It is left in a condo we sometimes use so damp seems likely to be the cause. Was just pondering whether hauling it back to Chiang Mai to fix would be worth it.

Seems such a waste to throw it out.

That sounds like what happened to a local tablet I had and indeed the screen is likely shot in that case would cost more to repair than to buy a new model.  TV sets are now in the throw away price range for normal size models - there is not much too them besides the screen.  

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, Shoeless Joe said:

CMSally....you've been in Thailand too long! :cheesy:

Regards,

Joe

Nothing to do with Thailand , it's my English upbringing !

The Thais throw heaps of stuff out. They would have thrown my mobile phone out at least 10yrs ago ! In fact most stuff if you hold onto it long enough , you can resell it to them as an "antique".

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cmsally said:

Not really double image, its more like a grey cloud. It started off as a small patch and the patch has grown bigger (now covers the whole screen). It is left in a condo we sometimes use so damp seems likely to be the cause. Was just pondering whether hauling it back to Chiang Mai to fix would be worth it.

Seems such a waste to throw it out.

There is a repair shop 1km south of Hangdong road Big C junction on the north bound side.  It says Sony service centre on the building and Google Maps but I have had Samsungs repaired in there before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cmsally said:

Not really double image, its more like a grey cloud. It started off as a small patch and the patch has grown bigger (now covers the whole screen).

I had a computer monitor with that - looked to me like fungus.