Bicycle mounting survey?

StreetCowboy

How do you get mounted?

Do you get your leg over on the move?

As you may recall, I had a total hip replacement back at the start of the year, and prior to that, and for probably two or more years previous, I had always mounted my bike stationary, canting the bike to get my leg over, as it were. I think 

Sunday before last, I found myself scooting along and swinging my leg over quite sub consciously, on a rough gravel construction site to boot.

So how do you get your leg over?

Stationary and canted?

Or scooting down the road?

Ever thought?

- that there's nothing 'girlie' about opting for a Womens' bike!

i.e a womans MTB is ideal for when one cannot lift one's leg easily

Mrs has one, but she's now gone afraid of road riding...

so I commandeered it, masculinised it's looks a bit

and ride it whenever I was resting my recumbents

ps getting a recumbent trike will really really solve all your mounting problems

Depend really on the road, whether it is quietish or very busy. It does make a real difference but mainly I "mount" on the move, and also "demount" on the move. I find it safer than try to start off in the "mounted" position unless there is a highish kerb I can place my left leg on! 

Edited by n210mp

I have a unisex trike for sale. Bought after knee op. Perfect for local shopping and very stable for riding and parking. One year old, kept under cover, purchased in HuaHin. Includes two fixed shopping baskets. New price 7000 looking for 4000baht. Located in Koh Takiab. Photo on request.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

38 minutes ago, FletchinFrance said:

I have a unisex trike for sale. Bought after knee op. Perfect for local shopping and very stable for riding and parking. One year old, kept under cover, purchased in HuaHin. Includes two fixed shopping baskets. New price 7000 looking for 4000baht. Located in Koh Takiab. Photo on request.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Please post the photo - I'm not interested in buying the trike, but photos liven up any thread.

Did I mention that when I was at My Bicycle Shop  - the donor for the four Bikes for the Boys, going to a local orphanage - I got chatting to an older gentleman with a very nice electrically assisted tricycle.  I should've asked if I could take a photo.  And also how he mounted it. 

In the morning I tried pushing off before mounting and felt slightly unsteady.  I should've tried to get my leg over while dismounting on the way to the first pub, but caution got the better of me, as I know the ridicule you get when you fall over, either entering or leaving the pub.  Particularly if you are reckless enough to clip yourself to your bicycle.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

I mount the bike from a stationary position from the left side.  I cant the bike towards me and then swing my right leg over the seat and top tube.  I then clip in my right foot with the pedal in the up position and slightly forward.  Then I just push off with the left foot and push down on the pedal with the right foot.  Clip in the left foot and I'm on my way!

• Like 1

It might be overkill for the intended purpose, but on my MTB I often find myself using my dropper post to enable less leg-over mounting action: I can even mount from behind!!. Dropper posts now come in more road friendly seatpost diameters these days, so could make departing the pub more elegant! Perhaps.

3 hours ago, bobfish said:

It might be overkill for the intended purpose, but on my MTB I often find myself using my dropper post to enable less leg-over mounting action: I can even mount from behind!!. Dropper posts now come in more road friendly seatpost diameters these days, so could make departing the pub more elegant! Perhaps.

I'd be frightened about the dropper post getting a bit exuberant and propelling me unexpectedly skywards.  Maybe I've watched too many James Bond movies.

• Haha 1