Health Insurance

ianh68

My UK Health Insurance company has just doubled my premiums. My health has not changed since last year so I don't know why and I can't afford the new premiums. Are there any companies in Thailand who would cover me? I am 71.

My UK Health Insurance company has just doubled my premiums. My health has not changed since last year so I don't know why and I can't afford the new premiums. Are there any companies in Thailand who would cover me? I am 71.

Contact aa insurance Thailand ref Pacific cross, being 71 if accepted will cost you around 90k bht per yr possibly a lot lot more, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All health insurance policies increase premiums with age and the magnitude of increase is greater the older you are. Some increase annually and some do it in 5 year age bands, possible yours is the latter. If so would be worth finding out as it would mean you're safe from further increases (other than small inflationary adjustments) for another 5 years. If you did not just go onto a new multi year age band then a doubling of premium is very hard to understand and you should request an explanation. Billing mistakes do sometimes happen. For example they might have billed you for a combined OPD + IPD policy when you only had IPD (which is usually all one needs in Thailand).

Note that if you have required treatment for any conditions, even as an outpatient, since acquiring your current insurance these may be considered pre-existing conditions and excluded from any new policy so a change of insurers might mean a less comprehensive policy. Possible exception if condition was minor, is fully resolved and it has been a few years already since treatment needed.

If by companies in Thailand you mean Thai companies then Pacific Cross is likely the only one that would newly insure you at 71. However there are a number of international insurers that provide expat policies that would cover you in Thailand who will newly insure at your age and some of them even have offices in Thailand to help handle claims.

At your age especially you need to look closely at the following for any new policy:

1. Whether they guarantee lifetime cover.

2. Whether they can raise your premiums on an individual basis due to change in health status or having had a large claim. Western based companies usually not but Thai companies often yes (Thai insurance regs are looser than in the west and allow this). Do NOT take out a policy that allows for this as it means they can price you out just when you need your insurance the most. Makes a "lifetime renewal" guarantee essentially worthless.

3. Whether there is a limitation or exclusion for (non pre-existing) chronic diseases. Do not accept such a policy.

4. (Assuming you will get in patient only cover) whether cancer treatments (chemo, radiation) and hemodialysis are covered on an outpatient basis even for inpt only policy (often the case but check).

Off the top of my head I know April International and Cigna Global are both OK on these points and will insure a 71 year old. There are others but these are the ones I know best.

Most insurers offer options of deductibles (excess) and/or copays which will lower your premiums. You might look into this with your current insurer as a possible alternative to changing companies. Obviously, need to be able to set aside the deductible amount or otherwise have a means of readily accessing up to that amount in cash.

If you libe in Pattaya or Chiang Mai areas the respective Expat Clubs of these places have group health insurance plans you can access by joining. Look into these, as rates and terms are likely to be better than you can get on your own. CM Exoat Club group policy is with HCI. Pattaya I think Pacific Cross.

O taining new polucy through a broker is advusable. Not only will they help you identify options in choosing a policy but they will also help afterwards if you run into any issues with claims. If you joun the Group policies of one of the Expat clubs these have associated brokers. Otherwise I suggest AA brokers.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 4:43 PM, Sheryl said:

All health insurance policies increase premiums with age and the magnitude of increase is greater the older you are. Some increase annually and some do it in 5 year age bands, possible yours is the latter. If so would be worth finding out as it would mean you're safe from further increases (other than small inflationary adjustments) for another 5 years. If you did not just go onto a new multi year age band then a doubling of premium is very hard to understand and you should request an explanation. Billing mistakes do sometimes happen. For example they might have billed you for a combined OPD + IPD policy when you only had IPD (which is usually all one needs in Thailand).

Note that if you have required treatment for any conditions, even as an outpatient, since acquiring your current insurance these may be considered pre-existing conditions and excluded from any new policy so a change of insurers might mean a less comprehensive policy. Possible exception if condition was minor, is fully resolved and it has been a few years already since treatment needed.

If by companies in Thailand you mean Thai companies then Pacific Cross is likely the only one that would newly insure you at 71. However there are a number of international insurers that provide expat policies that would cover you in Thailand who will newly insure at your age and some of them even have offices in Thailand to help handle claims.

At your age especially you need to look closely at the following for any new policy:

1. Whether they guarantee lifetime cover.

2. Whether they can raise your premiums on an individual basis due to change in health status or having had a large claim. Western based companies usually not but Thai companies often yes (Thai insurance regs are looser than in the west and allow this). Do NOT take out a policy that allows for this as it means they can price you out just when you need your insurance the most. Makes a "lifetime renewal" guarantee essentially worthless.

3. Whether there is a limitation or exclusion for (non pre-existing) chronic diseases. Do not accept such a policy.

4. (Assuming you will get in patient only cover) whether cancer treatments (chemo, radiation) and hemodialysis are covered on an outpatient basis even for inpt only policy (often the case but check).

Off the top of my head I know April International and Cigna Global are both OK on these points and will insure a 71 year old. There are others but these are the ones I know best.

Most insurers offer options of deductibles (excess) and/or copays which will lower your premiums. You might look into this with your current insurer as a possible alternative to changing companies. Obviously, need to be able to set aside the deductible amount or otherwise have a means of readily accessing up to that amount in cash.

If you libe in Pattaya or Chiang Mai areas the respective Expat Clubs of these places have group health insurance plans you can access by joining. Look into these, as rates and terms are likely to be better than you can get on your own. CM Exoat Club group policy is with HCI. Pattaya I think Pacific Cross.

O taining new polucy through a broker is advusable. Not only will they help you identify options in choosing a policy but they will also help afterwards if you run into any issues with claims. If you joun the Group policies of one of the Expat clubs these have associated brokers. Otherwise I suggest AA brokers.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply, especially the bit about age bands.

• Like 1