Now Big Joke declares war on taxis refusing tourists and not turning on the meter

webfact

Now Big Joke declares war on taxis refusing tourists and not turning on the meter

9pm.jpg

Thailand's top crime buster Maj-Gen Surachate Hakpal - is determined to stamp out taxi drivers ripping off tourists and refusing fares. 

So much so that the new immigration head is teaming up with the department of Land Transport (DLT) in a continuing get tough drive.

The Maj-Gen wants persistent offenders to lose their licenses.

He told News.mthai today that rogue drivers are damaging tourism in Thailand. 

Surachate who seemed to be more concerned with tuk-tuk drivers and illegal guides when he was the star man at the tourist police is now demanding more action from the RTP and the DLT.

He took over as immigration commissioner on Monday.

The Thai media reported that from September 2017 to August 2018 4,411 taxi drivers were caught refusing passengers without reason. And 3,277 didn't turn on the meter. 

In addition 14,247 were caught for a variety of other offences. 

But of this number only 489 had their licenses revoked. 

Surachate, or Big Joke as he is known in the Thai media, believes that everyone can fall victim to unscrupulous drivers but tourists are especially vulnerable. 

Somchai Ratchkaew, a DLT chief, said that the sequence of removing a driver's license was 3 months for the first offence, six for the second and a year after that.

Only when the fourth stage was reached were licenses taken away for good. 

Source: MThai news

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-04
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:
1 hour ago, keith101 said:
Sorry but what has this got to do with the Immigration Commissioner as he no longer has his position with the Tourist Police , maybe he should have tackled it while he was still there .

He is doing what 99% of thais can't and its called multi tasking

Its called propaganda

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Allowing them to drive without a licence, as they will then have nothing to lose.

In the subs i got several taxi's who didn't look like the picture on the permit...they didn't cheat me though.

I'm a little confused from all this schizophrenic media reporting. I just read the Joke is coming after foreigners, now he is declaring war on taxis that refuse to take foreigners? 

So are foreigners good, or the foreigners bad?  This guy is freeking messed up in the head. But the good news is he's making a lot of enemies. So sooner or later.....just saying

38 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

I'm a little confused from all this schizophrenic media reporting. I just read the Joke is coming after foreigners, now he is declaring war on taxis that refuse to take foreigners? 

So are foreigners good, or the foreigners bad?  This guy is freeking messed up in the head. But the good news is he's making a lot of enemies. So sooner or later.....just saying

Come along drink more coffee and follow his logic.   Big Joke is targeting both because what he wants are more taxi drivers picking up foreigners so they can be driven straight to immigration and deported.  Got it ? he kills two birds with one stone  ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Does big Joke know this does not happen to tourists alone ? In fact, the taxi drivers try it on with non tourists as well. In my personal experience, the number of times a inflated fee is asked is tiny, but the number of times these drivers simple refuse to go is on a sharp increase. Just four years ago, I hardly ever witnessed this myself. The last two years, it is a downright nightmare to get a taxi at certain times and in certain places. 

But this is just hot air, nothing will change. 

Sjaak, maybe you did not read the article well, but your question is answered there. 

Surachate, or Big Joke as he is known in the Thai media, believes that everyone can fall victim to unscrupulous drivers but tourists are especially vulnerable. 

14 hours ago, nausea said:

We live in different worlds. There's the tourist world and then there's the Thai world. It would take a pretty brave driver to turn off the meter where I live. I've found most Thai taxi drivers are pretty decent guys. I accept their prerogative to refuse a fair, it's part of the price you pay for a very cheap and efficient service, and you know there'll be another one along in a minute.

i think you assume your post it a big joke.

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

Sorry but what has this got to do with the Immigration Commissioner as he no longer has his position with the Tourist Police , maybe he should have tackled it while he was still there .

As you say, nothing to do with Immigration. He needs as many reasons as he can find to create another heavy duty vinyl banner with a life size image of himself on it. Never a day goes by now when he is not in the news for one reason or another. His rapid rise to fame and all this publicity; something is brewing!

Big Joke.jpeg

• Like 1

As you say, nothing to do with Immigration. He needs as many reasons as he can find to create another heavy duty vinyl banner with a life size image of himself on it. Never a day goes by now when he is not in the news for one reason or another. His rapid rise to fame and all this publicity; something is brewing!
1229582662_BigJoke.jpeg.a392107279c4958620820dba010a1caa.jpeg
Who in their right mind would create a banner with a picture of themselves on like that?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDB using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, blackhorse said:
15 hours ago, keith101 said:

He is doing what 99% of thais can't and its called multi tasking

No, it's called "going off the reservation."

He either doesn't yet understand his new position under a different ministry (Foreign Minister vs Interior Minister) or he's a publicity seeker. Or both.

He can't be effective as head of Immigration if he's spending his time within the authority of other Ministries.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

How many times have we seen this sort of thing?

A simple cure-all proposal that is (theoretically) supposed to magically solve a complicated and vexing problem. Everyone applauds and wants to believe, but then…well...nothing happens.

It’s because the only thing important to the government is ‘show’. You put on a front, create photo ops, make speeches, exaggerate, lie and pretend you’re doing great things. But in reality you’re not doing much more than stuffing cash in your pockets.

Odds are that’s what we’re seeing once again.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 2

What can you say, apart from 'Big Joke - please give P1 big poke and run for PM' . . . a hell of a better proposition if you ask me. And, who knows . . . he may be totally corruptless, a new word that I found in my New Thainess Dictionary.