Big Joke crackdown: Foreigners under the spotlight nationwide as visa extension changes suggested

webfact

Big Joke crackdown: Foreigners under the spotlight nationwide as visa extension changes suggested

2PM.jpg

Picture: INN

The new head of immigration Maj-Gen Surachate Hakparn has promised to investigate 60,000 migrants in a crackdown on illegal workers.

And he has promised changes in the way visa extensions are done. 

Possessions in the name of Thai wives may be able to be used as collateral in allowing visa extensions, Thai visa understands.

This appears to refer to wives of migrant workers rather than the broader issue of people like retirees who were not mentioned in the INN story. 

เอกซเรย์พื้นที่2.jpg

Picture: INN

The crackdown began on Wednesday in the Huay Khwang, Nana and Khao San areas with the arrest of 59 people from Nigeria, Myanmar, Syria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Egypt, China and Palestine and some Thai nominees. 

These people were found to be working illegally, entered Thailand illegally, failed to do 90 day reports, were working under Thai nominees or a combination of these offences.

INN posed the question in their headline: 60,000 foreigners in Thailand - are they legal?

Surachate promised justice for those following the rules - but said that he would arrest anyone who wasn't no matter where they lived in Thailand. 

He said that changes are in the offing regarding visa extensions and gave the example that possessions of Thai wives married to foreigners could be used as collateral. 

He did not elaborate on any other changes and who exactly they might affect. 

The high profile  Maj-Gen took up his post on Monday and has already had a dramatic impact on the Immigration police.

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-05

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

While I wish him good luck, I somehow dont see all the immigration officers fully cooperating. Probably going to scare quite a few people for a while though.

Yes many folk going to be a little scared, but all of us who do things legal should have no worries.

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes many folk going to be a little scared, but all of us who do things legal should have no worries.

But your legal may become illegal, as it appears he is set on making things more difficult 

It’s interesting to note that all surrrounding countries in the region are easing up on immigration and granting long stays visa’s fairly easily, while Thailand is moving in the opposite direction.

Can nlt help but wonder why?

I know several people who live here on extensions but claim the never have to visit the immigration office at all. I'm not referring to 90 day reports here, but the once a year application process. And, they say they don't have to have proof of monetary funds either. 

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes, I think it will be squeaky bum time for all those people who brag about never having to visit immigration in person or have no proof of monetary funds. And hopefully it will put the rogue agents these people use out of business. Good on you Big Joke.

You can’t have it both ways. People been grumbling about all the corruption and back handers in certain areas but have also been using the very same ethos to bypass systems which suit themselves. The chickens could be coming home to roost.

I still maintain if you keep your head down, nose out and follow the rules you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

would make it easier to be able to combine assets in the test for married/retired people, while our house and units plus our block of land are in my wifes name I have paid/put a lot into them over the years as well but with thai laws I am not allowed to be listed as an owner of them. I am also aware of farangs that simply pay to get their yearly visa with no proof/finances etc, as long as bribes/graft is so high here I doubt it will change, what would be good is if they actually did allow combined assets etc and increased the length of the visa's as well as did away with the 3 month reporting but again I cant see thai's making it easier for farangs

1 minute ago, seajae said:

would make it easier to be able to combine assets in the test for married/retired people, while our house and units plus our block of land are in my wifes name I have paid/put a lot into them over the years as well but with thai laws I am not allowed to be listed as an owner of them. I am also aware of farangs that simply pay to get their yearly visa with no proof/finances etc, as long as bribes/graft is so high here I doubt it will change, what would be good is if they actually did allow combined assets etc and increased the length of the visa's as well as did away with the 3 month reporting but again I cant see thai's making it easier for farangs

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride

3 minutes ago, jaiyen88 said:

A simple way to have assets and protect oneself. Thai partner owns land and gives 3x30 year lease to foreign partner and transfers ownership of buildings. So foreigner has exclusive lease plus ownership of buildings.

Not quite so simple...……….

The Thai partner has to buy the land (unless given it by parents etc) with their own money, not given by the farang. Then there is no such thing as a 3x30 year lease and it won't hold up in a Thai court, and this can go sour esp if there is a falling out between parties.

38 minutes ago, jaiyen88 said:

A simple way to have assets and protect oneself. Thai partner owns land and gives 3x30 year lease to foreign partner and transfers ownership of buildings. So foreigner has exclusive lease plus ownership of buildings.

That sounds like a good plan.However if things go south and the Thais want you gone you will be gone for sure!

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I know several people who live here on extensions but claim the never have to visit the immigration office at all. I'm not referring to 90 day reports here, but the once a year application process. And, they say they don't have to have proof of monetary funds either. 

Yes, I think it will be squeaky bum time for all those people who brag about never having to visit immigration in person or have no proof of monetary funds. And hopefully it will put the rogue agents these people use out of business. Good on you Big Joke.

There isnt any mention of a crack down on people using agents etc, the OP is about a crackdown on illegal workers. People appear to be commenting on what they "want" the crackdown to be, not what has been announced. 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

But your legal may become illegal, as it appears he is set on making things more difficult 

Have you any info regarding your comment, or are you just being ridiculous?

The law requires me to have 800.000 baht for my retirement extension, report every 90 days, not work.

So pray tell me how you reckon that will become illegal.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Cambodia is getting stricter. Work permits now required, long term visas much harder to get etc. 

Used to be able to rick up buy an 'ordinary' visa at the airport and extend for a year through an agent. Not any more.

True, but still easier than Thailand.  Vietnam is easy.  They do not seem to care too much about frequency of travel. 

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP mentions changes to extensions, nothing about making extensions more tough. and nothing about changing the amount. The OP mentions being able to use collateral in Thai wives name, thats actually about making extensions easier.

Yeah but that point doesn’t make Thailand look a worse place to be does it so we can’t say that ????

4 hours ago, BestB said:

It’s interesting to note that all surrrounding countries in the region are easing up on immigration and granting long stays visa’s fairly easily, while Thailand is moving in the opposite direction.

Possibly Thailand have realised that a large number of foreigners residing here actually give very little back as they can’t rub two baht together

4 hours ago, BestB said:

He has to make room for all the Chinese tourists. Throw out all farangs and make way to the real 'owners' of this country.

12 minutes ago, DipStick said:

Possibly Thailand have realised that a large number of foreigners residing here actually give very little back as they can’t rub two baht together

hmm not entirely convinced

Speaking personally my area we as a family me) spend infinitely more than the locals who are on the whole live hand to mouth i would suggest our weekly macro shop is more than most local families monthly spending thats before you take into account holidays restaurant and alcohol spending

I would say that any long-term staying foreigner spends more money than the average Thai or their beloved Chinese tourists.
Not to mention that foreigners often invest in real estate, support their partner and extended family as well as take care of the children.

True, but still easier than Thailand.  Vietnam is easy.  They do not seem to care too much about frequency of travel. 
Vietnam seems to be a good choice.
I met a few foreigners there who said that the situation about working (may it under the radar or legal) is much more relaxed than Thailand.

17 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Just asking, but how many people would like to see a visa based on ability to assimilate which included a reading and writing section that was only in Thai?

Not me. Why don't you set up a poll?

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

Vietnam seems to be a good choice.
I met a few foreigners there who said that the situation about working (may it under the radar or legal) is much more relaxed than Thailand.

They seem to be evolving into a country with a strong identity and not a basket case which has coups you can set your ultra expensive watch by.

Archived