Teacher with 15,000 baht salary asks: You tell me how I can live on that?

rooster59

Teacher with 15,000 baht salary asks: You tell me how I can live on that?

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUwNi83NTMwNzA2L3RlYWNoZXJzLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

A young female teacher has gone on Facebook to explain that she does not have enough money to live.

She has posed the question to Thai society: You tell me how teachers can live on 15,000 baht without falling into debt?

The question of teachers in Thai schools nationwide racking up massive debt has been in the news recently. 

Sanook reported on one teacher who complained that the cost of living was too high.

She had been an assistant teacher for two years but was then made up to a full teacher. She gets 15,000 but has to pay off her student loan and try to find enough for daily expenses. 

There is the rent, food, cost of fuel, the commitment to her father and sending other kids in the family to school.

Then there is building a house for the family. 

How on earth do you expect me to stay out of debt, she laments. 

She said her salary would go up 1,500 baht a year but that was hardly going to make ends meet. 

The story was widely shared with people offering their sympathy and suggestions.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-06

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its called economics and living within your means. At 16 years old I could only afford a bedsit and walked almost everywhere, to work, shops etc until i could get a motorbike. Bought what I could afford as no credit available then. Living on 30k with 3 kids I know it can be done and be done comfortably albeit I own my property so no rent. She probably has a 25-30k mobile phone and buys designer brands. Food is so cheap and healthy here. In all honesty, she dosnt realise how easy she has it....fuel...so she has transport...Father, shes only young why cant he work...other kids in family...let the parents pay. No one to blame except herself and other family members living out of their means

Easily. Ditch her commitment to the father, and other kids in the family going to school. Explain to the family she will assist in financing the building of the house when she is on a sound financial footing herself. Her priority should be paying off her student loan.

While I admire the Thai family loyalty ethic, it sometimes becomes a process where the rest of the family start leeching off someone earning a good wage, instead of getting off their butts themselves.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Easily. Ditch her commitment to the father, and other kids in the family going to school. Explain to the family she will assist in financing the building of the house when she is on a sound financial footing herself. Her priority should be paying off her student loan.

While I admire the Thai family loyalty ethic, it sometimes becomes a process where the rest of the family start leeching off someone earning a good wage, instead of getting off their butts themselves.

Well said, the main reason she will be in debt is the extended family. 

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

15K a good wage? 

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

15K a good wage? 

Yes it is.....the "real" average take home pay in the UK is about 3 times this......she could rent a room for 2,000, UK at least 20,000 a month, food, fuel everything is far less than a third here so in reality she is considerably better off...its the lazy family thats the problem...nothing else and bet she is from darkest issan somewhere to boot

It's interesting to read all those negative comments here.

I wonder how many of the readers ever tried to live on 15k per month in Thailand. Or even 30k per month.

Yes, it's somehow possible to survive on 15k, but that about it.

I think teachers, and not only teachers, should get paid a decent salary to be able to live without problems.

They shouldn't be "forced" to do a second job or borrow money to live a reasonable life.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF's family earn about 2000 - 3000 baht/month in the rice fields and on building sites. Does that answer your question?

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything your GF tells you.

Did you mention that sick buffalo already?

Considering someone on the basic wage here only earns 300 baht per day 15 is a cut above average, but still not a whole lot of money, she needs to tell her family to get off their lazy backsides and work a bit harder.

45 minutes ago, rooster59 said:
How on earth do you expect me to stay out of debt, she laments. 

Ask the low life grubs at the top of the food chain that you work for, the education dept, with one of the highest budgets in the country. I'm sure they are not suffering.

It is the same in the Philippines a girl is always expected to support her parents and younger siblings, and these girls are so indoctrinated by their culture that they feel morally obligated to do this. In both countries a common warning to westerners is you do not marry a girl, you marry a family. In fact in rural communities you marry a village. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's interesting to read all those negative comments here.

I wonder how many of the readers ever tried to live on 15k per month in Thailand. Or even 30k per month.

Yes, it's somehow possible to survive on 15k, but that about it.

I think teachers, and not only teachers, should get paid a decent salary to be able to live without problems.

They shouldn't be "forced" to do a second job or borrow money to live a reasonable life.

I live on 30k and have three kids....it is easy and comfortable. Thing is I dont go out and buy the latest 30k mobile phone and all the other expensive stuff she likely buys...plus I dont have all the lazy leeches wanting me to pay for their offsprings schooling or a Father that expects me to pay for he booze or new truck...seriously she can live very comfortable on that for HERSELFE

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF's family earn about 2000 - 3000 baht/month in the rice fields and on building sites. Does that answer your question?

Pretty sad....that wouldn't cover my cigarette costs per month!

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything your GF tells you.

Did you mention that sick buffalo already?

I have no reason to disbelieve her, and she's a lot more honest than many farangs I've encountered.

The family doesn't have a buffalo, smart guy.

15k for a uni trained teacher?  it's diabolical 'live within your means' the netizens cry?  whilst the pigs at the trough rake in millions?  all the seniors live in huge houses, expensive watches and luxury cars?  Thais should be thinking about THAT not decrying this teacher.

my Thai girlfriend works her butt off and makes 15k-25k a month and has a 7 year old son and her own house.

If she can do it so can this teacher. But it is horrible what teachers get paid.

She should look into a career where the government is serious about salaries like Chinese airport VIP lane hostess.     

2 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

she needs to tell her family to get off their lazy backsides and work a bit harder

It seems that's one of the usual comment about family support.

How about old people?

How about people who care about others in their family?

Lots of Thai people take care of other family members like old parents and grandparents and children.

Where should they live from? Or should the old people just die?

I know there are some young and lazy people who don't want to work and who want to be supported all the time. But there are also many people who really need the support from their family members to survive.

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

15k for a uni trained teacher?  it's diabolical 'live within your means' the netizens cry?  whilst the pigs at the trough rake in millions?  all the seniors live in huge houses, expensive watches and luxury cars?  Thais should be thinking about THAT not decrying this teacher.

So do what other civilised countries did....stand up for your rights, go on strike, challenge the government.....dont forget our past history....people only a generation ago were living in poverty in most of the Western world butwe know the root cause in this particular case...and get this, she is moaning about a 10% salary increase....shit most people I know are lucky to get 2%

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

So do what other civilised countries did....stand up for your rights, go on strike, challenge the government.....dont forget our past history....people only a generation ago were living in poverty in most of the Western world butwe know the root cause in this particular case...and get this, she is moaning about a 10% salary increase....shit most people I know are lucky to get 2%

I agree they should and I hope one day they will grow balls and do so en masse 

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I live on 30k and have three kids....it is easy and comfortable. Thing is I dont go out and buy the latest 30k mobile phone and all the other expensive stuff she likely buys...plus I dont have all the lazy leeches wanting me to pay for their offsprings schooling or a Father that expects me to pay for he booze or new truck...seriously she can live very comfortable on that for HERSELFE

I really like to see how you are living "comfortable" with three kids and that kind of money in Thailand. I know "comfortable" is something relative but this sounds strange.

45 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Its called economics and living within your means. At 16 years old I could only afford a bedsit and walked almost everywhere, to work, shops etc until i could get a motorbike. Bought what I could afford as no credit available then. Living on 30k with 3 kids I know it can be done and be done comfortably albeit I own my property so no rent. She probably has a 25-30k mobile phone and buys designer brands. Food is so cheap and healthy here. In all honesty, she dosnt realise how easy she has it....fuel...so she has transport...Father, shes only young why cant he work...other kids in family...let the parents pay. No one to blame except herself and other family members living out of their means

I believe you, as you seem to know her quite well.

Archived