Teacher with 15,000 baht salary asks: You tell me how I can live on that?

rooster59

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes it is possible but not enjoyable, 3 meals for 120 THB isn't very good food if you have to eat it every day.

In Thailand its  incredibly easy to grow your own vegetables from seed to vegetable in a just 4- 5  weeks, speed of growth is astounding, pack of seeds and water costs  nothing can be done off a  balcony.

Something I see often is the Thais buying those mixed  crushed ice drinks all around 30 baht..............whats wrong with water, even  my wife finds it shocking young  kids wasting 3o baht like that, she had two jobs and was the only one of 10 who didnt  borrow  money, had 200k savings when I met her and had to fight off the others trying to  borrow, shared a  room in BKK with 5  others, didnt  have her own flat till she was 28 yrs  old stuck soles on shoes and sold credit cards in the evenings as well as going to UNI.

Came from Issan and her drive was "didnt want to be poor" as when she was  a  kid she had a  tough time with 10 other siblings and no money.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, kannot said:

Most of them dont know what hard work actually is any more, you scrimp and save and  fight your way up over many years working long hours

Really?

I talk often enough with "normal" working people, i.e. staff in shops, restaurants, 7/11, etc. who work for less than 15k per month. Many of them work for more than 8 hours a day in their official work, many of them use public transport, often more than 2 hours a day to come and return from work. And then they take care of their kids and/or parents and do whatever else has to be done. Is that "hard work" enough? I certainly think so.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I talk often enough with "normal" working people, i.e. staff in shops, restaurants, 7/11, etc. who work for less than 15k per month. Many of them work for more than 8 hours a day in their official work, many of them use public transport, often more than 2 hours a day to come and return from work. And then they take care of their kids and/or parents and do whatever else has to be done. Is that "hard work" enough? I certainly think so.

yeah and half  the day on the phone they cant afford working at half the speed of others, time and motion studies would have a field  day, no it isnt  enough, 8  hours at work....thats part  time when youre trying to build up capital for your later years.

7-11  staff..........sheesh yeah that a  crippler of a job, spend more time chatting amongst themselves than working

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

She knew what a teacher's salary was when she choose that field. Should have gone into a different line of work.

That reminds me of the pretty accountant who I met when she worked in a Soi Cowboy bar. As accountant she made 16,000B a month. She had a son and wanted to send him to a reasonable school. That was not possible working as an accountant...

Thai style room in apartment complex. 2k

100 baht a day food allowance 3k

Petrol for bike 20 baht a day 600

Support for kids x 2 maybe 1k a month

Support for house build 2k a month

Support idle father 1k a month

Total 9600

It's rough but it could be done with just the basics.

16 minutes ago, kannot said:

In Thailand its  incredibly easy to grow your own vegetables from seed to vegetable in a just 4- 5  weeks, speed of growth is astounding, pack of seeds and water costs  nothing can be done off a  balcony.

Something I see often is the Thais buying those mixed  crushed ice drinks all around 30 baht..............whats wrong with water, even  my wife finds it shocking young  kids wasting 3o baht like that, she had two jobs and was the only one of 10 who didnt  borrow  money, had 200k savings when I met her and had to fight off the others trying to  borrow, shared a  room in BKK with 5  others, didnt  have her own flat till she was 28 yrs  old stuck soles on shoes and sold credit cards in the evenings as well as going to UNI.

I think a teacher should be able to afford the "luxury" of a 30B drink a day - every day.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of the pretty accountant who I met when she worked in a Soi Cowboy bar. As accountant she made 16,000B a month. She had a son and wanted to send him to a reasonable school. That was not possible working as an accountant...

My Mother had a  full time day job in a hospital and at nights to send me to a private  school worked in a  hotel behind the bar from 6 till gone 12 midnight 6  miles  away for many years, nothing comes easy in life. I had part time jobs from aged 10 upwards and all thru school, cleared snow off peoples drives in winter for a  £, walked to school when others  went on the bus ( and were always late) cycled from  home to Saturday job 8  miles away, worked in Safeway supermarket 6 am till 10pm on Saturdays at 16, you CAN do it when you are young to make older age more comfortable.

Just now, Rc2702 said:

Total 9600

The word Thais ( and many these  days  worldwide) dont understand though is "basics"

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She has posed the question to Thai society: You tell me how teachers can live on 15,000 baht without falling into debt?

Do as all teacher do: suck at your daytime job and then offer to tutor all your students falling behind for extra money.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think a teacher should be able to afford the "luxury" of a 30B drink a day - every day.

I dont. Its about saving money making do to improve your future.

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Total 9600

And  rooms like that with shared bathrooms are available on Sukhumvit road close to On Nut as  the security guard at my  Wifes condo does just that. No aircon shared bath 2k BKK

Just now, atyclb said:

another thaifriendly candidate

teacher seeking handsum farang for love and debt assistance

It could be the solution. Do teachers and their families get free medical care? If so marry a farang who needs such assistance. Win win.

It looks like she's on holiday yes?

Yeah, it's obviously way too low but in ftw my wife makes 21. Raise of 1500 a year over 30 years plus she can advance grades and do grad work and other stuff. Typical entitled millennial. If she's a govt worker, life sucks but sweet pension at 60. Her decision.

She can freelance at a number of public schools and make far more. Finally, I've personally seen and spoken with an agency at Chulalongkorn that was hiring grads to work upcountry for up to 33k. 

Perhaps her subject exam sucked and she's stuck in a horrible school. Again, up to her. Looks pretty, she can forward her resume we have openings.

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You believed her when she told you she was an accountant?

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

My 6 year old gets 1860 ++ and my 13 year old gets 4030 ++ per month.

Sounds like a good way to make a rod for your own back. How much do you think they'll be looking for at age 20?

I was taught by my parents if I wanted something, I had to earn it for myself. Which I did - my first bicycle, golf clubs and car.

You are teaching your children entitlement. IMHO that will come back to bite you.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Sounds like a good way to make a rod for your own back. How much do you think they'll be looking for at age 20?

I was taught by my parents if I wanted something, I had to earn it for myself. Which I did - my first bicycle, golf clubs and car.

You are teaching your children entitlement. IMHO that will come back to bite you.

And is that how you treated your children? Just asking......Kids having after school jobs here isn't something I'm used to.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She had been an assistant teacher for two years but was then made up to a full teacher. She gets 15,000 but has to pay off her student loan and try to find enough for daily expenses. 

Shouldn't she have considered the pay before she chose the university course?

Or is planning ahead not done by potential teachers?

Anyway, pretty girl, she could always get married.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

And is that how you treated your children? Just asking......Kids having after school jobs here isn't something I'm used to.

Like Lacessit said in his post, but I wasn't taught not to ask because they were dirt poor so had no money to give......so I had a paper round before school, getting up at 6 am to do it before cycling about 3 miles to school.

Also mowed a few lawns and even went potato picking in order to get some pocket money.

Having to earn money made me realise the value of it. good lessons IMO.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

My son had a paper round. The point is to teach children money has to be earned, although I'll admit to coming from an older generation.

Admittedly after school jobs here are problematic; however, nothing prevents a parent from giving a kid money in exchange for chores around the house such as gardening or cleaning.

I earned money collecting scrap metals from the local garbage dump, caddying and doing courier work on my bike. Probably could not do it now, I'd be breaching half a dozen health and safety laws, and kids caddying in Australia has died out.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Like Lacessit said in his post, but I wasn't taught not to ask because they were dirt poor so had no money to give......so I had a paper round before school, getting up at 6 am to do it before cycling about 3 miles to school.

Also mowed a few lawns and even went potato picking in order to get some pocket money.

Having to earn money made me realise the value of it. good lessons IMO.

We strive for a better life for our children, sometimes our good intentions have the opposite effect.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You believed her when she told you she was an accountant?

Yes, I did.

I ask many of the girls what they did before they worked in a bar. Sometime they worked in 7/11 or in other shops, school, etc.

I think with a question like that they often tell the truth. There is not much incentive to lie.

I don't ask them if they have a boyfriend or if they really think I am handsome because I wouldn't expect the truth...

Archived