Teacher with 15,000 baht salary asks: You tell me how I can live on that?

rooster59

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Its called economics and living within your means. At 16 years old I could only afford a bedsit and walked almost everywhere, to work, shops etc until i could get a motorbike. Bought what I could afford as no credit available then. Living on 30k with 3 kids I know it can be done and be done comfortably albeit I own my property so no rent. She probably has a 25-30k mobile phone and buys designer brands. Food is so cheap and healthy here. In all honesty, she dosnt realise how easy she has it....fuel...so she has transport...Father, shes only young why cant he work...other kids in family...let the parents pay. No one to blame except herself and other family members living out of their means

So, you could live on 15,00 baht a month today no problem? I really doubt it. Good on you that you were able to struggle to make ends meet back in the dark ages.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Yes it is.....the "real" average take home pay in the UK is about 3 times this......she could rent a room for 2,000, UK at least 20,000 a month, food, fuel everything is far less than a third here so in reality she is considerably better off...its the lazy family thats the problem...nothing else and bet she is from darkest issan somewhere to boot

So, I am assuming you are or would manage fine on $500 dollars / 350 pounds a month in Thailand. Please do tell how you manage your money so well. Is it the shack with the dirt floor and no electricity that really helps you manage? And shame on that young lady for striving to pay off her debts and help her family.

I live in the "darkest of Isaan" and my in-laws who are poor farmers worked hard their entire lives and raised three children who all went to college and now contribute back to their parents in their old age so they have some simple comforts that they didn't have when they were young like electricity, a gas stove, some new tools etc. Nothing wrong with wanting to help your elderly parents.

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sounds like a good way to make a rod for your own back. How much do you think they'll be looking for at age 20?

I was taught by my parents if I wanted something, I had to earn it for myself. Which I did - my first bicycle, golf clubs and car.

You are teaching your children entitlement. IMHO that will come back to bite you.

They get 10 THB per year, so at 20 200 THB, if they want more they have to earn it themselves. 

28 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

We strive for a better life for our children, sometimes our good intentions have the opposite effect.

And IMO they will have a better life if they realise the value of money...……..it has to be earned; it does not come free of effort.

A childhood of entitlement will often result in a poor outcome. 

Its called economics and living within your means. At 16 years old I could only afford a bedsit and walked almost everywhere, to work, shops etc until i could get a motorbike. Bought what I could afford as no credit available then. Living on 30k with 3 kids I know it can be done and be done comfortably albeit I own my property so no rent. She probably has a 25-30k mobile phone and buys designer brands. Food is so cheap and healthy here. In all honesty, she dosnt realise how easy she has it....fuel...so she has transport...Father, shes only young why cant he work...other kids in family...let the parents pay. No one to blame except herself and other family members living out of their means

What nonsense ! If you knew anything about Thailand you would know that the country does nothing to encourage graduates to be teachers ! And Therein lies it’s Demise!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

my Thai girlfriend works her butt off and makes 15k-25k a month and has a 7 year old son and her own house.

If she can do it so can this teacher. But it is horrible what teachers get paid.

She should look into a career where the government is serious about salaries like Chinese airport VIP lane hostess.     

You say you have 2 million dollars in the bank,help her out a little bit will you?

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Professionals need to earn a decent wage..otherwise why do it?

Amazing internet attack on the young Thai woman.

There's no attack, she willingly choose a career in education, and now complains.

yeah and half  the day on the phone they cant afford working at half the speed of others, time and motion studies would have a field  day, no it isnt  enough, 8  hours at work....thats part  time when youre trying to build up capital for your later years.
7-11  staff..........sheesh yeah that a  crippler of a job, spend more time chatting amongst themselves than working

Agree. Never seen someone HERE work for 8 hours a day, only seen them GO TO THIER WORK place for 8 hours (maybe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There's no attack, she willingly choose a career in education, and now complains.

Of course there is an attack..

By the way..the endless tales of "I work in t'mine since they gave me my first pair of clogs" is relentlessly boring..

Low wage scales lead to endless corruption,a fact duly noted by anyone with half a brain.

You guys are really too bored, sitting in your retirement homes, pickup your monthly retirement and talk bad about Thais. To live here you have to accept the Thai system and the culture. Parents take care of kids and when the parents are old the kids take care of them. So what's that bad on it. And yes 15,000 baht is not much money!! If alone, car impossible, finance a house, impossible. You should stop talking too much about things you don't know and just put your bored head into here to tell some stupid stuff. Teacher is a hell of a job, many hours, weekends, most teachers I know coming in retirement age and die short after. 

It makes me angry to see how farangs sometimes talk about Thais. You are the foreigner. So if every Thai system is so stupid in your opinion, then go back where you come from 

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

Yes it is.....the "real" average take home pay in the UK is about 3 times this......she could rent a room for 2,000, UK at least 20,000 a month, food, fuel everything is far less than a third here so in reality she is considerably better off...its the lazy family thats the problem...nothing else and bet she is from darkest issan somewhere to boot

Why would she be from the darkest side of the Isan?

What is wrong with Isan people in your ideas?

My brother-in-laws GF is the oldest and the family expects her to put her sister through University, pay for the younger brother to go to school while her father sits at home on is arse at the age of 55 doing nothing. He has never worked a day in his life. Her mother died 8 years ago and she is the sole provider for the family. She gets paid 8,500 baht a month. She will not ditch any of the family and I see her most mornings as she goes to work crying. This has gone on for months. She lives in our house, pays nothing for food but I have never seen someone so depressed in my life. Recently a family member died and she had to go the funeral. She was up stressed all night worrying about the 100 baht she needed to give in the White Paper Packet as it meant her brother would not have money for a few days.

Family pressure truly sucks here I think what I am seeing is not an isolated case. 

It's a terrible wage, but in the standard range for first year teachers. As a teaching assistant over the previous 2 years her salary would have been even lower. After a few years she will be on a decent salary. Most Thais have a family house, but it seems she doesn't, so she's in a tough position.

Many beginning teachers in the UK cannot afford to pay the rent, and depending on where they live they will never be able to afford to buy a house, and they're often working 80 hours a week.

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

I hope they help around the house for this money. They have to learn early that it does not grow on trees.

Clearly, it does grow on trees in this case.  5890 bahts per month for two kids' pocket money is well over the top unless they have specific needs which they pay for themselves, do some work in the house in return, or at the very least are obliged to save most of it for the future.

2 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Joining the debate late and may have missed posts with similar message. I have to question the validity of the 15,000 baht figure, when three salary comparison websites give teacher's salaries at above 30,000 baht per month. Here's one of them.

https://www.payscale.com/research/TH/Job=High_School_Teacher/Salary

That is nothing but a recruitment poster..a sort of "Join the Navy and see the world!" when all you will be doing all day is shovelling coal into a furnace..

14 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Many beginning teachers in the UK cannot afford to pay the rent, and depending on where they live they will never be able to afford to buy a house, and they're often working 80 hours a week.

As a former teacher in the UK I can say, the wages weren't great, but I rarely worked more than 5hrs a day (after the first year), and the 20 weeks holiday a year was great, and I had to marry another teacher in order for us to afford to buy a house.

It's not normal to buy a house on one 'starter' wage these days (if it ever was).

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

I think you win the dumb post of the week award, hands down.

That said 

Back when I was a kid mate, I had to walk through 9 feet of heavy shag carpet just to change the TV channel. :biggrin:

Archived