Home wanted for lonely bird on Koh Phangan

I loved the Lorikeets in Sydney when I last visited a friend in 2004 - they would wake me in the mornings, demanding bread with syrup!

My Aussie friend, with the two tamest wild Loris I came across:

image.png.9d6955919343eceb0ea634b4d7d61a30.png

image.thumb.jpeg.5a794f11ab077d8f86dfd49145dbdca4.jpegimage.jpeg.058fd74b1e08411ec526e1f33eaafe80.jpeg

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

What a great story!

I hope that she finds a good home or catches up with the flock next year..

I once nursed a young lorikeet-the tyrant of all tyrants- but one day he cocked his head..looked up and joined the crowd overhead..

I hope he made it.

I have sent you a message to contact Alan, he is a bird expert and will help you out.

• Thanks 1

After a bit more research, I discovered the real identity of this bird, it is a (very common) White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus).

I realised it is not a Heron after seeing a huge "Blue Heron", at the main petrol station in Thongsala of all places. It lives quite happily with chickens in the large cages to one side of the forecourt... Worth having a look but be warned - it looks more like a vulture than a Heron ????

Not as exotic as I first thought, but still a very pleasant little bird to have around, so much so I have decided to let her stay as long as she likes.

Thanks for the number, sticky. I may still contact Alan later if she starts looking lonely or unhappy...