why are we here in Thailand lets not forget.

KKBrian

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A very nice post, so you are new to Thaivisa, but it is obvious you have not lived in Thailand long.

We are not guests here in Thailand, we may be to the Thai people. who for the most part are decent, honest and helpful, and are also very non confrontational.

But as an expat on a retirement visa which most of us are, we have to report to our local immigration office every 90 days. 

This to me is treating us like criminals, I do not know of other countries, if any, who treat retirees like this, and is one reason why personally I have no respect for the Thai government, and will never consider myself as a guest.

Despite this I will never return to the UK for good unless for something that is out of my control. The good in Thailand far outweighs the bad where in the UK the opposite is true.

How far is it to your Immigration Office please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pattaya isn't really Thailand as a whole is it. I went there once many years back never to return. Seems you are basing your facts on Pattaya..[emoji849]
Pattaya is a great representation
Half of isaan are down there so you get to for price of one
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

It is so simple to do. takes about 10 minutes.

How do Thais go getting a visa to your country?

No1.  Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Not worth answering, only worth laughing at.

No2.  How does anyone get a visa into the UK, if your are under 30 just turn up and say

you are a 12 year old child and Bobs your'e uncle.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Thats an easy one, a much higher standard of living here than I could possibly attain in the UK. 

I could never have the land the property and this relaxed country lifestyle.

The fact my wife is from here is also a very strong influencial factor.????.

Now that is a super logical and easy to understand reply!

My question really is for the people who choose to live in Thailand and berate it continuously comparing it to their home country - this I find very difficult to comprehend!

I mean, who would consciously choose a place of 'low standard' to live and be miserable till the end?

55 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

A guest because they let us in and let us stay. Uninvited guests, but still guests.

if 80% plus of us didnt marry or live with prostitutes the Thais would probably respect us a bit more.

Well said. Thais see and judge.. but not for the better.  You should have seen those farangs with their dates at the morning breakfast 

at classy hotels where Thais and their families stay. Would you blame them if you ‘flaunt’ in front of their faces.... no doubt it is a free world so it is their free thoughts too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Respectfully, those who cannot or will not adjust to life here.

Its not easy to live your life a certain way by certain standards for 50+ years,  then start again in a different way to what was/is familiar.

Its like being a child again in many ways because you cant communicate effectively, not sure what to eat, dont know how things work, people all around you behaving very differently, you have to learn all these skills all over again. The difference though is pride and frustration get in the way.

Some stand back and learn to relax and learn and go with the flow. Others just cant get it or havent yet got it, and are still in the moan and groan and kick against it mode.

It takes time and they either get there eventually and relax and enjoy it or remain stuck in that mentally "comparing" mode and will probably eventually leave being unable to accept and adjust to their new environment.

All in my humble opinion ????

Yes, you are very correct and explained the facts crystal clear.

I guess, deciding to move to another country, especially when you are not so young, should be a very carefully planned out decision.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

PS: when some complain about Thais as some do where Thais can do no good, IMO it is not to tell as how bad Thais are, but a thinly veiled attempt  to tell as that somehow they are better. 

Certainly a sign of insecurity.

Case and point,

There is another thread just started in the Thai news subforum

"TAT asks Thais to be good hosts to boost tourists’ confidence "

in it it also announced tax credits for Thais visiting secondary cities out of their area.

A reasonable person would consider both to be  positive steps. yet most replies were negative.

The same people that complain about Thais not being nice to them, then are negative when the Thai government asks the Thai people to be nice to them .

Could this be the definition of insanity?   

I get where you are coming from but countries change and cultures change through the actions and opinions of others. Thailand is great but christ, it needs some help regarding the 'lower classes." 

We learn by listening to the opinions of others and my wife is a perfect example of that. She has learned a little from me and I from her. She no longer accepts that a government official can keep her waiting. He works for her and not the other way around and she now pulls up government officials on their shortfalls. I applaud her for that and I hope she and my sons continue to tell Gov officials what is what.

14 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Depends. I live lower Sukhumvit and only socialize with my own people. I live exactly like I did in the West except its warmer and the ladies are always available and thais working in resteraunts /bars speak English

The problems start when a londoner chases a skirt into the jungle then tries to fit in with the locals. I ignore the my life is amazing living on a farm posts..

In other words you are here to pleasure yourself. Didn't you mother tell you that if you pleasure yourself too much you will go blind?:tongue:

26 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Absolutely, as the saying goes "act in haste repent at leisure".????

The sad part is that those who dont make it, invariably then blame Thailand and its people etc and not admit that in reality, it was they who got it wrong and couldnt adjust or make adequate arrangements so they blame everyone else as thats the less painful and easy option to do. ????

Yep...

Which, is largely the case. 

You'll find that these types that don't adjust or acclimate to their "foreign" surroundings and create unnecessary angst for themselves is certainly not limited to Thailand......but, will find this type of character wherever they happen to be. 

• Like 1

I think considering that you have gone to all the effort to grab this photo on-line and post it on this thread that this in-fact typifies the real you and how you really feel about your life, bored, fed up and discontented. As they say, a picture can explain a thousand words.

I believe the majority of the negative posters, moan and complain a lot because they want to stay in Thailand being losers in their own countries but are struggling to stay here, being financial or simply have mental and emotional issues, so they blame the country trying not to see the reality, or in other words, it`s not me, it`s all the others. Bet these people don`t have close family relationships or any friends either and it`s obvious why.  

I think the picture was to express his reaction to the OP rather than your far reaching psychoanalysis assertions.
As Charles Barkley said I could be wrong but I doubt it. I found it rather pointless and vanilla but to each their own.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

About 60Ks. Though I don't think 10 mins would do it as Pete1980 says.

He must live next door to his immigration office.????

It's 35 km for me. So a round trip combined with a trip to Tesco or Macro 4 times a year isn't THAT much hassle.