Temperatures to rise 1.5 degrees Celsius by 2030-2052 without rapid steps - U.N. report

webfact

6 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Are there really still sentient beings on this planet who think that burning fossil fuels on an industrial scale for 200-300 years hasn't massively increased climate instability? (Never mind deforestation and concretisation etc etc.)

Most of us are young enough (even the old 'uns) to experience the first of the many tipping points coming down the line.

yes https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1061091-temperatures-to-rise-15-degrees-celsius-by-2030-2052-without-rapid-steps-un-report/?do=findComment&comment=13447495

19 minutes ago, iroc4life said:
Storm Saffir-Simpson
Category
Date of landfall Year Landfall Intensity
(in knots)
Landfall Location
Andrew 5 August 24 1992 145 Elliott Key (1st landfall)/
Near Homestead (2nd landfall)
Betsy 3 September 8 1965 110 Tavernier
Charley 4 August 13 2004 130 Cayo Costa (1st landfall)/
Near Punta Gorda (2nd landfall)
Dennis 3 July 10 2005 105 Santa Rosa Island
Donna 4 September 10 1960 115 Conch Key (1st landfall)/
Near Naples (2nd landfall)
Easy 3 September 5 1950 105 Near Cedar Key
Elena 3 September 2 1985 100 Gulfport, MS*
Eloise 3 September 23 1975 110 Bay County
Great Miami 4 September 18–20 1926 125 Palmetto Bay (1st landfall)/
Orange Beach, AL (2nd landfall)*
Great Middle Florida 3 August 23 1851 100 Panama City
Irma 4 September 10 2017 115 Cudjoe Key (1st landfall)/
Marco Island (2nd landfall)
Ivan 3 September 16 2004 105 Near Gulf Shores, AL*
Jeanne 3 September 26 2004 105 Hutchinson Island
King 4 October 18 1950 115 Downtown Miami
Labor Day 5 September 3 1935 160 Craig Key
Michael 4 October 10 2018 135 Mexico Beach
Okeechobee 4 September 17 1928 125 Palm Beach
Opal 3 October 4 1995 100 Pensacola Beach
Unnamed 3 August 17 1871 100 Jupiter Island
Unnamed 3 October 7 1873 100 Captiva Island
Unnamed 3 October 3 1877 100 Panama City
Unnamed 3 September 10 1882 100 Navarre
Unnamed 3 August 16 1888 110 Miami Beach
Unnamed 3 October 9 1894 105 Panama City
Unnamed 3 September 10 1896 110 Cedar Key
Unnamed 3 October 18 1906 105 Marathon (1st landfall)/
Near Flamingo (2nd landfall)
Unnamed 3 October 11 1909 100 Marathon
Unnamed 3 September 29 1917 100 Okaloosa County
(Ft. Walton Beach)
Unnamed 4 September 10 1919 130 Dry Tortugas
Unnamed 3 September 4 1933 110 Jupiter
Unnamed 3 October 18 1944 105 Dry Tortugas
Unnamed 4 September 15 1945 115 North Key Largo (1st landfall)/
Florida City (2nd landfall)
Unnamed 4 September 17 1947 115 Port Everglades
(Ft. Lauderdale)
Unnamed 4 September 21–22 1948 115 Saddlebunch Keys (1st landfall)/
Near Chokoloskee (2nd landfall)
Unnamed 4 August 26 1949 115 Lantana/
Lake Worth
Wilma 3 October 24 2005 105 Cape Romano

Anything but Historical ????  Looks like 1935 was historical to me ???? 

i think i have this memory of a scientist stating 1935 was the warmest year since temperature scale was invented,

he had studied the original data that had later on been tempered to fit a certain agenda

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great study beside you must have sleeping problems...????????????????

In our school atlas was Greenland 45 years ago a frozen spot and unknown territory and because my grandfather was fishing there, he confirmed that Greenland was white and not green.

Now the ships are passing north of Greenland because the ice is molten and as you realized the sea level raised accordingly.

as result of the lower saline level also the Gulf Stream is slowing down so we might even have soon a cut off and the ice will return. Then Greenland will be white once again and the next generation is panicking about global warming as some of us now.. 

...and collecting all these offshore wind turbines from the place the glaciers have pushed them before they were melting again and I will be in my next life a multi-million $$$$ scrap tycoon because I believe in that story.. 

Please can everybody empty some more spray cans to speed up the progress so I might even have a chance to witness it already in this life? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iroc4life said:

These "scientists" Cannot tell me if it is going to rain tomorrow, but know what the weather is like in 30 years ???? ???? Ill stick with my V8 and C02 Beer tank thanks

First of all, Mr. Funny- Man...they can tell you about tomorrows weather... with an astonishing accuracy!

And second of all: no one wants to tell you, what the WEATHER is in 30 years!

We are talking about the CLIMATE!

Weather- climatte!

2 wildly different things!

Ignorance is bliss!

Edited by DM07

10 hours ago, poanoi said:

i think i have this memory of a scientist stating 1935 was the warmest year since temperature scale was invented,

he had studied the original data that had later on been tempered to fit a certain agenda

And even IF 1935 was warmer than all of the last 83 years: what matters is not a single event, but the frequency, in which years are "the hottest" now, hurricanes are "the strongest" etc.

As of now and since a few years already: the year we are in, is the hottest on record (except for 1935...whatever) and that is a trend.

It is really exhausting...

2 hours ago, Athens said:

If we can stop the climate change by reducing CO2, stopping burning fossil fuels getting a better air. Why not nothing to loose

That's fine if you don't care about the poor people of Africa and Asia who are currently being pulled out of poverty at an unprecedented rate. In the last 30 years, the world's poverty rate has been cut by an extraordinary 75%, according to World Bank figures -- that is more than one billion people whose daily income has been raised above a survival minimum.

There is no question that access to reliable energy and electricity (and that means fossil fuels right now) has been a major driver of the decline in poverty.

Green activists appear to care less about poor people than about a grandiose and high-sounding feel-good scheme to "save the planet", whatever that means.

I'd rather take the billions being thrown away each year on climate bureaucracies in the West, and use the money to address problems like malnutrition, malaria, schistosomiasis, cholera, tuberculosis, bilharzia, the list goes on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

First of all, Mr. Funny- Man...they can tell you about tomorrows weather... with an astonishing accuracy!

And second of all: no one wants to tell you, what the WEATHER is in 30 years!

We are talking about the CLIMATE!

Weather- climatte!

2 wildly different things!

Ignorance is bliss!

????????????  The sky is falling, The sky is falling. Government please take my money my car my land and control it to stop the destruction of the planet!!! Please grow up and grow a pair.... Guess what, we are all going to die some day, why not lets all go together in one planet fireball ????

3 hours ago, Athens said:

If we can stop the climate change by reducing CO2, stopping burning fossil fuels getting a better air. Why not nothing to loose

but we cant, it was proven wrong assumption that CO2 causes a rise in temperature, its the other way around, warmer temperature causes the sea to release more CO2, with a lag of around 800 years

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

I'm old enough to remember  the prediction that everything would be automated , meals,  housework , work ,  by the year 2000   - big discussions about what we could all possibly do with all that free  time .

My point is these things never seem to work out in the long term and  then we are all usually dead by then anyway .

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Athens said:

>"...nothing to lose"....... except for the trillions and trillions of dollars it will cost to accomplish such a feat.  The cost of reducing the planet temp of even a fifth of one degree could bring clean water to all the towns and villages of the world and save millons and millions of lives lost each year to dirty waterborn diseases.

Trillions and trillions of dollars...  for a degree or two in temp over a couple of hundred years... And most people can't step outside and notice a one degree change from one day to the next..         By the way...  400 or 500 ppm of CO2 is no problem and great for plants..  

Try going less than 150ppm of atmospheric CO2 and see what happens to plant photosynthesis world wide.  

Do you realize what the consequences of that would be ? ? 

>"...nothing to lose"....   5555555   LOL.... ????  WOW ! ! !      Trillions and trillions of dollars... and back to horse and buggy... .and travel to Asia by sailing ship....     >"....nothing to lose"....    no... of course not...????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DM07 said:

And even IF 1935 was warmer than all of the last 83 years: what matters is not a single event, but the frequency, in which years are "the hottest" now, hurricanes are "the strongest" etc.

As of now and since a few years already: the year we are in, is the hottest on record (except for 1935...whatever) and that is a trend.

It is really exhausting...

>"... hurricanes are "the strongest" etc."      They can't possibly know that.  They haven't been measuring hurricane strength that long... and measuring it accurately for an even shorter time.

One thing I really notice.... the Gore Bull Warming Alarmists always say "..hottest ever.."... "...record..."....  "...strongest.."...  without defining their data set.  

What in hell do they mean by   ''...record.." ? ?     Over the past 10 years ?   The past 100 years ?   The past 1000 years ?   The past 10,000,000 years ?   Since the planet first formed ?  

The never seem to say.....or very very rarely say...   Why is that ? ? 

Another thing the Warming Alarmists have been saying for the past thirty years or so...

"It's worse than we thought ! !"         I just love that line of theirs...  ha, ha, ha...     

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Catoni said:

>"... hurricanes are "the strongest" etc."      They can't possibly know that.  They haven't been measuring hurricane strength that long... and measuring it accurately for an even shorter time.

One thing I really notice.... the Gore Bull Warming Alarmists always say "..hottest ever.."... "...record..."....  "...strongest.."...  without defining their data set.  

What in hell do they mean by   ''...record.." ? ?     Over the past 10 years ?   The past 100 years ?   The past 1000 years ?   The past 10,000,000 years ?   Since the planet first formed ?  

The never seem to say.....or very very rarely say...   Why is that ? ? 

Another thing the Warming Alarmists have been saying for the past thirty years or so...

"It's worse than we thought ! !"         I just love that line of theirs...  ha, ha, ha...     

Okay, smart- guy: "Record" means results, which are recorded!

Since thermometers have been "around" since the 18th century (approx. because the idea of measuring temperatures has been around in acient Greek, already), so I would hazard a guess, that at least, temperatures have been "recorded" for a few hundred years!

"Recorded" as in "some guy looked at the thermometer and wrote down a date and a temperature"- is that concept easy enough to understand?

So your "idea" -or whatever this little joke of yours might be called- is silly: the record can hardly be showing any temperature, dating further back then the 18th (maybe 17th) century.

There are other methods to estimate temperatures "The past 10,000,000 years"...but they would not really be called "being on the record".

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, bristolboy said:

Actually, the report said that the 1.5 degree increase could be reached by 2030. Is that your idea of mid century? And the IPCC has consistently been too conservative in its projections. In every update the rate of increase is higher than projected in the previous reports.

In addition to which, as is usually the case wth ACG deniers, you take no account of rate. So it isn't like temperature has been increasing at a steady rate since 1850. In fact, 2/3 of the increase has taken place in the last 42 years. And the rate of change is accelerating.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, it doesn't matter what the rise in temperature is if they can't change it, and I do not believe that taxing us to build windmills and solar power is going to change anything re temperature rise. 

As for electric cars, biggest con job in history. Car companies make megafortunes, while the taxpayer is left to fund the ginormous expansion in electrical generating capacity required to power them, never mind the huge problems of disposing of the old batteries.

The best solution, fuel cells, isn't even on the list of things that will make the rich people even richer from exploiting the sheeple.

As with everything, follow the money for the real answers.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Athens said:

Spot on and the only valid reason to stop pollution. Could stop wrapping every thing we buy in plastic too, while they're saving the world.

`

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:15 AM, RickBradford said:

Green activists appear to care less about poor people than about a grandiose and high-sounding feel-good scheme to "save the planet", whatever that means.

Are you talking about all those people that drive cars that use fossil fuel to make and power, and fly to conferences in planes that use fossil fuel so they can tell us how bad we are for using fossil fuel?

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 10:15 PM, bristolboy said:

Nonsense. First off, renewable energy is rapidly growing as an energy source. Already solar and wind easily beat the cost of coal and and are already beginning to beat natural gas.  Just in the last week, a new rechargeable zinc oxide battery was unveiled that is far mor efficient than the best current lithium batteries and far cheaper to producee.  addition by supplying applying electricityi from a power plant you're able to more efficiently process the fuel. ANd as a bonus, it's a much more effective in controlling pollution..

It really is easy to sell people B.S. when they look no further than what someone in authority says.

Edited by Rimmer
unattributed quote in overlarge fonts removed
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 727Sky said:

It really is easy to sell people B.S. when they look no further than what someone in authority says.

Apparently, you are one of those people. You cite a source that has no references, no acknowledged author and is filled with obvious falsehoods. You couldn't even be bothered to check something easy like the alleged cost of electricity.

The anonymous author cites the cost to him as $1.16 per KW.

Actually the average cost of electricity in the USA is 12 cents per kilowatt hour:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/10/27/141766341/the-price-of-electricity-in-your-state

In the most expensive state, Hawii, the cost is 33 cents per kilowatt hour.

I really don't understand how anybody could uncritically accept such an obviously dishonest work as the one you cited.

Here's some more links debunking much of the BS in that article:

https://www.truthorfiction.com/electric-cars-makes-think/

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/518066/could-electric-cars-threaten-the-grid/

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/418019/smarter-chargers-for-electric-vehicles/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

The most valuable commodity in 20 years time will be fresh clean water. Countries with an abundance will be the new Barons supplanting the Oil Cartels now

...does disapprove or disprove man-made climate change?

16 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Apparently, you are one of those people. You cite a source that has no references, no acknowledged author and is filled with obvious falsehoods. You couldn't even be bothered to check something easy like the alleged cost of electricity.

The anonymous author cites the cost to him as $1.16 per KW.

Actually the average cost of electricity in the USA is 12 cents per kilowatt hour:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/10/27/141766341/the-price-of-electricity-in-your-state

In the most expensive state, Hawii, the cost is 33 cents per kilowatt hour.

I really don't understand how anybody could uncritically accept such an obviously dishonest work as the one you cited.

Here's some more links debunking much of the BS in that article:

https://www.truthorfiction.com/electric-cars-makes-think/

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/518066/could-electric-cars-threaten-the-grid/

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/418019/smarter-chargers-for-electric-vehicles/

I think I see where he screwed up on his math...Instead of 1.16 he should have used 11.6 which is low for many places as the average if I remember correctly is around 13.1... Either way he is way off and I am way off for not checking myself... Thanks

The climate change/global warming deniers in this thread are classic.

Two of them don't understand that climate and weather have 2 different meanings, one of them thinks if it's real it's a good thing because he and others like to vacation at warm places not cold places, one guy is searching for a documentary he saw where "the top scientists" of the world debunk man made global warming, several are quoting misleading articles which have been thoroughly debunked for using out of context quotes and/or basic errors like that described in post #114, etc., etc.

Fossil fuel Industries pay lobbyists tons of money to propagandize and mislead the gullible, the success of that brainwashing is that this thread exists.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

The climate change/global warming deniers in this thread are classic.

Two of them don't understand that climate and weather have 2 different meanings, one of them thinks if it's real it's a good thing because he and others like to vacation at warm places not cold places, one guy is searching for a documentary he saw where "the top scientists" of the world debunk man made global warming, several are quoting misleading articles which have been thoroughly debunked for using out of context quotes and/or basic errors like that described in post #114, etc., etc.

Fossil fuel Industries pay lobbyists tons of money to propagandize and mislead the gullible, the success of that brainwashing is that this thread exists.

I reject the term climate change denier/global warming denier. It is stupid term which needs to be retired. Everyone knows the climate changes. So no one is a denier. What we have are people who are skeptical and people whose minds are like soft clay which are easily impressed with anything coming from their acceptable channels. 

The real terms should be something like: Climate crisis skeptics and faithful globalist mind slaves.

• Like 2

Or like we like to call ourselves, Not Blind Sheep being lead to the slaughter or something like Self aware and not believing everything a group of "scientists" say just because they have a Phd after their name, especially when they have been caught fudging the numbers. They are using a computer model to make these predictions "They made themselves" who wouldnt believe what they say, they must be crazy. 

Hey I tell you what lets take that Leftist tactic and call all the non-believers crazy!! Eventually when we convince enough people we can round them up and dispose of them like we did in WWII. 

Sound about right to you idiots

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 9:14 AM, 727Sky said:

So do you see this as proof that man made climate change is an incorrect theory?

13 hours ago, kwilco said:

...does disapprove or disprove man-made climate change?

Can anyone conclusively prove or disprove man's involvement in climate change. Yes there may be a 1000 year climatic shift underway. But Our polluting the air with Industrial gases are certainly having an affect especially in the Northern Hemisphere. I am sceptical whether anything will stop it now. But doing nothing is the same as waiting for a forest fire to burn your house down

(Always) Ten Years Left To Save The Planet

Every ten years, climate scientists say we have ten years left to save the planet. Sometimes they want to save it from global warming, other times they say they want to save it from global cooling.  Very Revealng and true video.. 

• Like 2