Airport Fiasco - Govt Urged To Close Suvarnabhumi

Jai Dee

AIRPORT FIASCO

Govt urged to close Suvarnabhumi

NLA investigation chief cites safety fears in calling for a total and immediate shift back to Don Muang

The fate of the Bt150-billion Suvarnabhumi Airport hangs in the balance as an investigation panel is due to reveal the cause of damage to the taxiways and runways at the landmark transport hub.

The government appears to be divided about whether the airport should be closed for repairs, amid fears that such a move could shake international confidence in the Kingdom's infrastructure.

Admiral Bannawit Keng-rien, chairman of the National Legislative Assem-bly's airport committee, yesterday stood by his suggestion that the airport should be closed if both runways were damaged.

"The closure would be for the sake of safety," Bannawit said.

His committee was established to tackle the problems surrounding the flagship airport, which only opened in late September.

Bannawit maintained his suggestion despite Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont's insistence that the airport should remain open so as not to damage international confidence.

It could stay open while repairs are completed, the premier said on Saturday.

A panel headed by Tortrakul Yomnark will today reveal the problems faced by the airport, how the repairs should be conducted and whether closure is necessary.

A civil engineer by trade, Tortrakul is a board member of the Airports of Thailand and his panel has conducted a technical assessment of the runways.

Tortrakul's panel will report its investigation results to Transport Minister Admiral Theera Haocharoen before making the findings public.

A source said the Tortrakul panel had found serious cracks on the taxiways, with further damage on the northern part of the east runway and the southern end of the western landing strip.

The insider said the runway repairs could be made without disrupting flight schedules.

"Services can alternate between the two runways," the source said.

Krai Tungsnga, a member of the Bannawit panel, said the airport's problems were not serious enough to force it to close. However, Bannawit said yesterday that if Suvarnabhumi were closed, Don Muang would be able to accommodate flight and airfreight services.

"I propose closure because it will prevent problems from dragging on," he said.

Meanwhile, Thai Airways International's union has condemned plans to allow Bangkok to have two international airports. And Demo-crat Party's spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon urged the government to set up another committee to investigate Suvarnabhumi's problems.

"A committee of experts should look at all problems, not just the taxiways and runaways. What about the water leakage, inadequate lighting and overheating in the terminal?" Ong-art asked. He said the government should act against those responsible for the airport's problems.

Source: The Nation - 12 February 2007

Have there been any pictures of the condition of the interior of Don Muang since the mad rush to leave? It is possible the place was ripped to shreads? I highly doubt it would have been mothballed and set aside for later or emergancy usage in the stampede to leave. I can just see crews of guys in there ripping out the copper wire and light fixtures, maybe Im wrong, but I would like to see some pictures or video of the place and see what kind of activity is going on there at the moment.

Have there been any pictures of the condition of the interior of Don Muang since the mad rush to leave? It is possible the place was ripped to shreads? I highly doubt it would have been mothballed and set aside for later or emergancy usage in the stampede to leave. I can just see crews of guys in there ripping out the copper wire and light fixtures, maybe Im wrong, but I would like to see some pictures or video of the place and see what kind of activity is going on there at the moment.

I agree.. would be surprised if Don Muang was still as it was. I suspect that a rather large investment would be needed to replace a lot of the items which have dissappeared over the past months..

AIRPORT FIASCO

Govt urged to close Suvarnabhumi

NLA investigation chief cites safety fears in calling for a total and immediate shift back to Don Muang

The government appears to be divided about whether the airport should be closed for repairs, amid fears that such a move could shake international confidence in the Kingdom's infrastructure.

Does the above sound familiar?

Think back when the previous government received warning of a possible tsunami, but were afraid that a false alarm might damage the reputation of the country.

this thread has several pictures of DM's interior:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=105200&st=

AOT panel: cracks maybe due to construction design, materials flaws

Slippage cracks on taxiways and runways at Suvarnabhumi airport could be due to construction design flaws and / or materials which allow underground water to seep through and caused the cracks, a special panel established by Airports of Thailand Plc said Monday.

Close It - it's inevitable!!! :o

Don Muang, which served as the capital's airport for 92 years, is on land owned by the Air Force, which has always benefited financially from the commercial airport

Seems you are right, britmaveric. No other outcome seems possible without a change in govt.

Close It - it's inevitable!!! :o

Don Muang, which served as the capital's airport for 92 years, is on land owned by the Air Force, which has always benefited financially from the commercial airport

Seems you are right, britmaveric. No other outcome seems possible without a change in govt.

It has always amazed me, Amazing Thailand, that the Royal Thai Air Force could own land, whereby that land was not ultimately owned by he Thai government.

Many, inlcuding myself, have long argued that the Thai Air Force should have been relocated to Suwannaphum and commercial operations at Don Muang expaned to the other side of the gold course. But the Air Force generals, and this is just so Bangkokian, wanted the goverenment to pay them for "their" land at Don Muang, along with "their" golf course. Well it would have been cheaper to pay off the Air Force generals then deal with the corrupt contractors of Thailand.

All one can say is, yet again, Chaiyo!

From bangkok post, 12 feb:

"Don Muang, which served as the capital's airport for 92 years, is on land owned by the Air Force, which has always benefited financially from the commercial airport"

From wikepedia (royal thai airforce):

"As of 2006, the Commander of the Air Force was Chalit Pookpasuk, who was also a Deputy of the Council for National Security that seized power during the 2006 Thailand coup."

Edited by kriswillems

I am no engineer for this but common sense would say the need to cut trenches 2 or more meters deep, install 30 cm pvc pipes in the trenches to drain off the water. That should be done every 5 meters. From what I am reading the yes/no argument is simply about politics and face at this point.

There should be no involvement by any politicians in this engineering decision as it is not their area of expertise. If the engineers say close it then there should be no second guessing.

Aerodrome Certificate

It seems that the lack of a so called Aerodrome Certificate would not lead to any of T- lands airport's being closed because like Suvarnabhumi they are ALL operated under a "local licence"...wots that?... and thats it....Mai Pen rai.....

This Aerodrome Certificate is a recent attempt by the UN International Civil Aviation Organisation to standardise airport operations around the world, but Thailand has not yet issued a law to respond to this new requirement.....so again thats all right ...init... :o ...takes a lonnnngg time to issue a law..Yeah.??

No airport in Thailand has been certified which I would also assume means Don M as well as CM-Pooket-CR KK..etc....

Eight in neighbouring Malaysia have got the certificates, as well as two in Singapore, two in the Philippines one in Hong Kong, Eight in South Korea, one in North Korea and 93 in Japan....

SO Why Not LOS.........get yer finger...oot

Thai Airways Labor Union requests PM to revise the re-opening of Don Mueng

Thai Airways Labor Union has requested Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to revise the Cabinet’s resolution to re-operate Don Mueng Airport as an international airport.

Thai Airways Labor Union, led by Mr. Somsak Srinuan, has submitted a complaint letter at the Government House. The union claims that the Cabinet’s resolution lacked adequate discretion. They said the resolution will cause negative consequences to aviation business in both short and long terms.

The union remarked that Don Mueng Airport is suitable for operating domestic flights only. In addition, doubts have been raised on whether the re-opening of the old airport is to favor some airlines. It said operating two of such airports at the same time depends on the physical conditions of each country, but said that such means is not popular.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 Febuary 2007

Cause of problems now clearer, but no answers

'No need to close airport'; firms blamed but not named; 'foreign experts needed'

Water seepage into layers of sand beneath Suvarnabhumi Airport is partly responsible for cracks and ruts in areas where heavily-laden planes manoeuvre, according to an investigation.

The Tortrakul Yomnak fact-finding committee said yesterday seepage was responsible for at least 80 per cent of taxiway damage.

But the runway cracks stemmed from a different root cause, the committee findings said. Surfaces of both runways were supposed to be coated with polymer to increase strength. The probe discovered three-thirds only of the 4,000 metre-long runways were coated.

"It's a design problem. The designer probably wanted to save costs but they forgot we have to use the other end of the runways for take offs when the prevailing wind changes in the cool season," Tortrakul said. "We can probably do away with replacing surfaces because we found no structural damage."

According to the committee, there is no need to close the entire airport. But, the committee was unable to recommend how water could be drained to minimise the potential spread of cracks on taxi lanes and taxiways in the near term, or how to improve drainage to eliminate the problem.

"Technically, there are many ways to drain the water. Other experts should determine the best way with the least shortcomings and lowest costs," committee foundation engineer Suebsak Prom-boon said. "I assume our committee's mandate expires today."

It remains unclear if other factors - such as subsidence - may have contributed to the cracks or represent a host of additional problems.

Committee soil expert Prof Dr Surachat Samphantarak said airfield settlement will not cease after draining because it is built on a layer of soft clay.

He said although clay immediately below the airport structure had been strengthened a decade ago by prefabricated vertical drainage (PVD) - draining water from the layer - untreated, deeper clay would continue to settle.

It may subside faster than the natural rate because it now has to bear the weight of the entire airport.

"Slowly but surely the clay is settling," Surachat said. "If the pavement is not strong enough we may have differential settlement in different areas. Swampy soil subsides at different rates," he said. That can result in more ruts and cracks.

"I also doubt if the PVD technique was done right. How do we know the contractors completed the drainage process. There is no data supporting the [contractors'] claim settlement in the treated soil layer was stopped [before paving commenced].

As a result of uncertainty, Airports of Thailand (AOT) president Saprang Kalayanamitr announced yesterday he will suggest the government retain international experts to inspect the airport and advise on solutions for both the airfield and passenger terminal.

"Nobody can guarantee anything today," Saprang said. "This [Tortrakul] committee has had only two weeks. The [pavement] problem will certainly continue into the future and we need help from foreign experts. But the government will have to decide if this is the way it wants to proceed because hiring experts may involve a lot of money. I was told there are few [companies] in the world that have the adequate expertise."

The affected taxi areas appear to share a common trait, Suebsak said. Water from heavy rain during construction and additional flooding after completion entered the drainage system and seeped into the 1.5-metre-deep sand layer below the pavement. Trapped water mixed with sand destabilises the sand layer, causing cracks on the surface.

While it appears ruts and cracks are confined to about 80,000 square metres of airfield now, experts said it was likely damage could spread to most of its two million square metres.

That is owing to increasing traffic and because the layer is already saturated.

A drainage solution is needed before the next wet season. "I say most of the taxi lanes and taxiways have been trashed," Suebsak said.

Experts said the key issue was that water should never have seeped into the sand layer and suggested drainage systems were "clearly not designed properly".

"The designer probably forgot the two-year period of pavement construction was long enough for a lot of rainwater and other water to get into the sand layer," Suebsak said

The committee could not provide the names of the designers.

Lack of information and cooperation from AOT staff and board members was cited as a "major stumbling block" affecting problem solving and operations.

"We were frustrated we didn't get the information we asked for," Saprang revealed. "But now I have removed people who were part of the problem. I hope the situation will get better with the new people I have put in charge."

Source: The Nation - 13 February 2007

The standard of Thai journalism..

But the runway cracks stemmed from a different root cause, the committee findings said. Surfaces of both runways were supposed to be coated with polymer to increase strength. The probe discovered three-thirds only of the 4,000 metre-long runways were coated.

Wow tree-thirds.. That sounds bad !!!

While it appears ruts and cracks are confined to about 80,000 square metres of airfield now, experts said it was likely damage could spread to most of its two million square metres.

That is owing to increasing traffic and because the layer is already saturated.

A drainage solution is needed before the next wet season. "I say most of the taxi lanes and taxiways have been trashed," Suebsak said.

Experts said the key issue was that water should never have seeped into the sand layer and suggested drainage systems were "clearly not designed properly".

Reporting aside.. For them to admit clearly this level of problem means that the airport is doomed to sink into Cobra swamp IMO.. If the could patch it up and hide it you bet they would..

The standard of Thai journalism..

Wow tree-thirds.. That sounds bad !!!

I wonder if the cash for the rest of the coating was included in the piles of suitcases Mrs. T. left with, it was about that time I would imagine. One can only wonder about that.

Saprang said "...I was told there are few [companies] in the world that have the adequate expertise."

He must have talked with the same man I talked with:

The construction of an airport runway requires a special technique that only a handful of companies in the world possess.

--

Maestro

Knowing the desire to save face and considering that the image of the country can be "tarnished," I very much doubt that they are minimizing the problems. If anything, I am sure that we aren't getting the full story. The whole situation is quite scary.

First of all, they need to get the best engineers and consultants and let them do their work without a committee reporting anything to anybody. Can you imagine going in for surgery and instead of a doctor doing his thing, there was a committee that decided what to do to you!

70,000 take-offs and landings by large jets at the new airport without incident - I doubt the "cracks" are as cavernous as advertised by the generals. The fact that 70,000 planes have not contributed to the Air Force retirement fund at Don Muang golf course, now that is a very, very dangerous situation indeed that we all should be worried about.

70,000 take-offs and landings by large jets at the new airport without incident - I doubt the "cracks" are as cavernous as advertised by the generals. The fact that 70,000 planes have not contributed to the Air Force retirement fund at Don Muang golf course, now that is a very, very dangerous situation indeed that we all should be worried about.

Majority of the cracks are on the taxiways. And the ones on the runways are at where the airplanes take off. That's probaly why there hasn't been an accident....yet.