Pickup falls from six-floor carpark

webfact

I do not know the age of the car in question, but I have been driving automatics for donkeys years and I have never been able to take the ignition key out unless it is in Park.......and also a newer one will not allow you to start the vehicle unless it is in Park...I call BS on this one.....

9 hours ago, Basil B said:

As it was not on the public highway was an offence committed???

Well he did do damage to a public building, BUT they are not

making him pay for the repair,which is strange.

regards worgeordie

31 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

he did do damage to a public building, BUT they are not

Looking at the photo, they don't seem to do much repair work on that building. Perhaps there was two accidents the same day?

6thfloor1.jpg.d6f18032c2ab60026962ced88ae4c48c.jpg

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do not know the age of the car in question, but I have been driving automatics for donkeys years and I have never been able to take the ignition key out unless it is in Park.......and also a newer one will not allow you to start the vehicle unless it is in Park...I call BS on this one.....

No, not B/S, at least, not on the part of the driver. I believe this incident happened exactly as the driver reported it.

You're right of course. You cannot possibly start an auto unless the shift is in park. But you need to be thinking outside the (gear) box.

This is perfectly feasible with a manual box. The starter motors of large diesels are very powerful, they need to be to turn over these high compression engines. (any one ever had to hand-crank a large diesel?) There are strong enough to turn the engine and move the vehicle if it has been left in gear.

So chummy parks up, leaves his pick-up in reverse and forgets to apply the parking brake. When he returns he reaches in, inserts the key and goes to start the engine. The pick-up lurches backwards, the engine fires up and off it goes on its merry way, with no one in the cab to stop it. Diesels have a lot of torque at low revs so a weak barrier wall is no problem.

The confusion, in some peoples minds came from the fact that the reporter or the translator used the word 'park' instead of 'neutral'. Maybe he or she have never used a manual shift, so they wrote in the terms that they understood.

Following this incident, the building owners might consider installing parking chocks at the rear of the bays to prevent a reoccurrence. The next time there may still be passengers aboard.

Looking at the pictures that have been added the pieces of wall in front of the pick up appear to about one inch thick with absolutely no re-bar at all.............Someone skimmed on the construction, or there are no building standards and inspections. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Tharet said the FDA would review the strength of the concrete walls in the carpark

I think you had better review the whole building, not just the perimeter wall....

19 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Looking at the pictures that have been added the pieces of wall in front of the pick up appear to about one inch thick with absolutely no re-bar at all.............Someone skimmed on the construction, or there are no building standards and inspections. 

I think you had better review the whole building, not just the perimeter wall....

Building standards? Inspections?

About ten years ago friend had a new house built. I was looking at an electrical problem, when I realised the earth pins on all the socket outlets were not connected to any internal earth cable.

I ended up asked a local who had been involved in the construction. He said the boss paid the building inspector 500B per house and he passed everything as compliant.

Of course no car with an automatic gearbox could start in  drive or reverse, but most car with a manual gearbox would move if trying to start it with the gearbox still  in reverse or first, sure 100%, since  in my long life I've seen it a few time with inexperienced or absentminded drivers, but normally it's not enough for the engine to start so the car jolt 20/30 centimetres that's all, this time the engine started! That's the amazing thing: the engine started instead of stalled. So in spite of what is said by many, it can happen easily! On the other hand, I had never seen someone start his car without being at the wheel, why?:crazy:

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Not all vehicles have that interlock. In fact, of all the many manual vehicles I've driven and I really do mean many, only one, a Hyundai, had that facility.

Of course, in Europe for decades every cars would have accepted to start with the gear in first or reverse, but probably only jolt a few centimetres not enough for the engine to start because he does not turn as fast as in neutral.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well he did do damage to a public building, BUT they are not

regards worgeordie

Possibly they know he could not pay much.

As they say you can not get blood out of a stone...

On 10/10/2018 at 2:58 PM, Aussie999 said:

um, how did he "start" the car, without putting it in "Park," unless it is a manual and the report should read neutral. 

That's my bet.  Manual transmission left in gear.  Thais are paranoid about handbrake failure. My wife always leaves it in gear as well as handbrake on and hates parking on any hill at all, even just a few degrees slope.

Archived