Travelers Spend More Money in Thailand Than Anywhere Else in Asia

snoop1130

12 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I have always been of the opinion that the only thing that keeps Thailand floating financially above other neighbouring countries is the ease of availability of what all men want, at a reasonable price, at all times of the day or night

Yep, 60% of the total tourests are the sex tourests.And having sex 2 times a day will set you back 4000 to 10,000 baht.Not to mention the sponsoring  that contribute to high spending. 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

France, Italy and Spain are all more expensive countries than Thailand and have more overseas visitors, yet all have a supposedly much lower per capita spend. 

Not sure about that...i've been there last summer and prices were not very high which is great. Quality of everything is still much higher than in Thailand.

Supermarkets in those countries are a lot cheaper than in thailand but tourists don't go there.

6 hours ago, missoura said:

This dining experience is actually on my bucket list as I have never been to any of the World's best restaurants. Yes, it is expensive at B1800 a meal and I probably don't know anything on the menu. I bet they even have a dress code. I have also heard these fancy food joints have cloth napkins and different forks for different dishes. 

My Thai wife thinks my idea is crazy. She says for B1800, I could smoke some pork, fish and chicken for ten of her relatives...

side smoker.JPG

She could but will she is the question, all to much work for the average Thai person 

1 hour ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Well that turned around quick. Yesterday was Chinese tourism down 50% and British expats leaving and today Shazam.   all fixed.

Even if tourists were to turn their backs and give Thailand a miss, they would still probably report that 'foreigners are lining up abroad at Western Union offices, in order to send record sums of cash to Thailand'... ????

8 minutes ago, rodpav said:

What a crock of BS, i dont think Chinese, Indian, Arabs would spend half of what the western tourists spend.

It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya

participate in the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index (GDCI) 2018.

Bangkok, as in the previous two years in the first place, has 20.05 million visitors. Average stay is 4.7 days with an average consumption of 5,500 baht per day. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

It is estimated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends 30,000–40,000 baht (US$1,000–1,300) per person, per trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

well myself and all the people i know would double that figure (obviously all depends on what your there for ha ha)

17 hours ago, jimmynewbie said:

Yes its complete nonsense the UK takes far more too here

The value of tourism in England. Generating £106 billion a year

Think you will find that the 'tourism in England' figure you are quoting includes domestic tourism which is a high % of the overall total. The OP figure includes only International Tourism.

https://www.visitbritain.org/value-tourism-england

Apples and oranges, as some would say.

Regarding foreign tourists and residents alike, there are some circles that might heartily welcome a strict and fixed limit as to the unsavoury and unwanted hoards of mongrels, as they do nothing but to breakdown the society.

A romantic notion of slight isolation might appear very becoming and quite healing.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

To be fair SEA has some of the best, cheapest hotel accommodation in the world.

Very good 2,000 Bht 4,000 excellent 

Try that in Europe or Oz

Which is why I believe the Thai figures to be overstated in comparison to the European nations.

If you spent $150 per night in Bangkok , you are not a poor tourist. I have never paid

more than $30 US per night anywhere in Thailand. I guess the Nana , Dynasty and

other older small hotels are only 2 to 3 star rating. In Hua Hin I have never stayed in

the Hilton, City, or the top 5 hotel chains there either and have never paid more than

800 baht or $40 Canadian, There are still cheap places to stay in Thailand and the food

may not be as cheap or the booze, but all in all it Is still cheaper than anywhere in

North America to stay at for a month. Safety wise, I was more worried in a few places

in the USA, where I heard gun fire way too often, especialy when I stayed in a few

cities in the east side of the country.

Geezer

40 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Funny, it says travelers not international travelers. I think China has a lot of domestic travelers. Think of Golden Week etc.

Try reading the article and not just the headline.

Last year, it collected $57 billion in international tourism receipts, nearly doubling Macao ($36 billion), Japan ($34 billion), Hong Kong ($33 billion), and China ($33 billion). Globally, the only countries that out-earn Thailand in terms of tourism dollars are France ($61 billion), Spain ($68 billion), and the United States—which handily takes the gold medal, at $211 billion.

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Try reading the article and not just the headline.

Last year, it collected $57 billion in international tourism receipts, nearly doubling Macao ($36 billion), Japan ($34 billion), Hong Kong ($33 billion), and China ($33 billion). Globally, the only countries that out-earn Thailand in terms of tourism dollars are France ($61 billion), Spain ($68 billion), and the United States—which handily takes the gold medal, at $211 billion.

Yep, you are right. Sorry to offend you. I missed the reference. I will be punished and be a better man tomorrow.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:01 AM, missoura said:

This dining experience is actually on my bucket list as I have never been to any of the World's best restaurants. Yes, it is expensive at B1800 a meal and I probably don't know anything on the menu. I bet they even have a dress code. I have also heard these fancy food joints have cloth napkins and different forks for different dishes. 

My Thai wife thinks my idea is crazy. She says for B1800, I could smoke some pork, fish and chicken for ten of her relatives...

side smoker.JPG

And it would probably taste better ????

Archived