Temp gauge flickering and hiss noise when stop

cheeryble

Hi

Suzuki Vitara 16V 1600 1999

For quite some time I used to have to top up the water regularly.

Ton from Proauto did some work.......may have had a new rad?......quite some time ago and now I do check the water but it seems to stay foolish.

When I say that if I take the rad cap off the water wont be to the very top but about the top of the fins so needs only a bit.

Few weeks ago the temp needle.......which normally sits steady at just below horizontal......started not rising for a while, then it would kinda move around, almost sometimes a slight flickering........and at the lower end of the temperature gauge.

The car ran fine.

I took it to Ton and frankly can't remember what he suggested.....maybe a poor temp sensor and he suggested a good cleanup of the cooling system...... but I didn't seem to find time to go back and analyse it, and lo and behold it started working normally again.

Another month or two's gone by and it's happening again just the same EXCEPT although the car runs well this time I noticed when I park there's a bit of a gurgling or hissing sound. Yet when I've checked the water level it's been as normal. I haven't heard the sound when I've been at the lights say but not saying it' impossible there is no sound then.......but it may be only after engine turn off (I should check that, arrive home and leave the engine running a little while.)

I just messaged Ton about it but it's always good to get more brains on the job.

I'm a bit concerned.

Any ideas.

Thermostat renewal is your first port of call and just look for coolant spray. Usually easily spotted by dried white stuff when things have cooled down..

What problem would the stat likely cause Transam?

Or rather how would it cause it.

The noise sounds like the beginning of overheated water.

I kinda have concern that the temp sensor is not immersed fully in water all the time and that this causes the movement of the needle. Is that conceivable?

ps thanks to you and all here for helping solve some sticky problems.....my clutch now works like a dream and the aircon is going well for the price of some new brushes in the fan motor. 

pps if it's possible a new thermostat might be a fix how much do they cost and how long for the change. If it's cheap and quick I might as well just get a new one in.

Edited by cheeryble

A stat costs peanuts, they can and do fail, they do a lot of work and have a life span..

Good morning
I drove to Proauto on the way to CM yesterday.
I stopped there but did not turn the engine off.
It seemed to be running normally but I showed Ton the temp needle flickering low in the range.
The mechanic took the top off the plastic top up reservoir.after a short time the hose thru the top was hissing and spitting a little......no doubt the noise.
Couldn’t see any spray though a bit of rusty color near the thermostat though it was dry and may have been old.
The water was down a little in the rad after top up before start.
Kh Ton said it’s not a closed circuit now.
I left the car for further exploration.
Stay tuned

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Good morning
I drove to Proauto on the way to CM yesterday.
I stopped there but did not turn the engine off.
It seemed to be running normally but I showed Ton the temp needle flickering low in the range.
The mechanic took the top off the plastic top up reservoir.after a short time the hose thru the top was hissing and spitting a little......no doubt the noise.
Couldn’t see any spray though a bit of rusty color near the thermostat though it was dry and may have been old.
The water was down a little in the rad after top up before start.
Kh Ton said it’s not a closed circuit now.
I left the car for further exploration.
Stay tuned

Fit a new pressure cap...

On October 11, 2018 at 12:49 PM, transam said:

Thermostat renewal is your first port of call and just look for coolant spray. Usually easily spotted by dried white stuff when things have cooled down..

There was indeed a leak, a corrosion hole from a small elbow behind the engine which it looks like they've broken off as it was weak. The hole was probably covered with a hose and clip which slowed it down.

Trouble is apparently nothing available locally to replace and today's a holiday so will hope for the best Monday.

I shall NEVER top up with plain water again seeing the corrosion but as the engine (back in the Morris Minor days we never added anything but water!) .........normally runs very well and certainly not hot I hope if they get it sorted and reverse flush it may serve many more years.

Great little car with a ton of headroom for a big guy and my bike goes everywhere on a rack I made which fits the spare wheel.

Cross fingers and hope the fix is possible it looks tricky but I guess they wouldn't be looking for the part if they didnt think it was do-able!

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

Edited by cheeryble

1 minute ago, cheeryble said:

There was indeed a leak, a corrosion hole from a small elbow behind the engine which it looks like they've broken off as it was weak. The hole was probably covered with a hose and clip which slowed it down.

Trouble is apparently nothing available locally to replace and today's a holiday so will hope for the best Monday.

I shall NEVER top up with plain water again seeing the corrosion but as the engine (back in the Morris Minor days we never added anything but water!) .........normally runs very well and certainly not hot I hope if they get it sorted and reverse flush it may serve many more years.

Great little car with a ton of headroom for a big guy and my bike goes everywhere on a rack I made which fits the spare wheel.

Cross fingers!

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

Yep, anti-freeze does a lot more than folk think...Alloy, cast iron will rot away...Good they found the problem..

• Like 1

Kh Ton told me it would be 3-4 days from Suzuki, but just contacted with he bad news Suzuki Thailand says it needs sending from abroad waiting time 20-45 days.

I sent back asking if there are any faster alternatives, examples

1. Can I pay Suzuki to send via DHL or the like (It would be well worthwhile the 1500 baht I guess the express shipping cost (is that a good guess?)

2. Buy second hand from scrap yard (is it likely they would sell an engine part like this?)

Any ideas .....what would a clever man do?

Example is there some sort of tradesman who might repair?  Epoxy/solder/whatever?

Thinking caps on!

Edited by cheeryble

10 hours ago, jvs said:

Try the suzuki ,mania club Thailand,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529108953784408/

There are other clubs also,on there you should be ae to find your part.

Thanx jvs at a minimum I'll be able to pimp my ride.

Actually what I must start with if i advertise on FB or anywhere is an exploded picture of parts on which i can show the part I need. In fact I seem to remember someone some time ago providing a link for these Haynes type drawings free.

That's what i need first. 

Maybe Ton at Proauto started off by finding this and could send me on Line.

Yes if you become a member and post a picture of the broken part and say that is what you are looking for.

I was on the toyota tiger club before and they helped me out a few times for a fraction of what if would have costed at toyota!

happy hunting.!

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Actually no Transam.......Suzuki BKK thought the same so you’re in good company ......u can see a bit of red where they marked it and I erased it. It’s a similar looking but behind the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

MrsJ's old Mazda had something like that at the rear of the engine .. turned out that it increased the engine idling speed when cold.

It hissed when it leaked as well ... ????

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

MrsJ's old Mazda had something like that at the rear of the engine .. turned out that it increased the engine idling speed when cold.

It hissed when it leaked as well ... [emoji846]

So it was in the coolant it seems?
Yes automatic chokes not only choked but increased the idle which all reduced in steps as the engine got warmer.
If I remember you were supposed to set them by pressing the throttle pedal to the floor once.