Advice on tipping- long term accomodation?

YogaVeg

On 10/11/2018 at 10:28 AM, baansgr said:

Nothing....its not required nor expected and wont be appreciated

Nonsense, perhaps not “required” perhaps not expected....but appreciated.....definitely. Especially when you consider how much a cleaner is paid. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This cleaning lady is probably on a really really low salary...If you understand that and feel she has been good, then why not give her a little money...500 or 1,000 Baht, but do it correctly, in an envelope...For some reason just flashing some notes is not always seen as respectful.

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

This cleaning lady is probably on a really really low salary...If you understand that and feel she has been good, then why not give her a little money...500 or 1,000 Baht, but do it correctly, in an envelope...For some reason just flashing some notes is not always seen as respectful.

Is that true about the envelope?

In the past I've given tips to cleaning staff in Thailand (because they were really helpful) and I've always discreetly given them clean notes, folded in half with a smile and a thank you. Always got a smile and a thank you in return.

As an American expat I tip everywhere and offer a wai.  While not expected it is always accepted and appreciated with a smile. The amount tendered is relatively insignificant, and varies depending on services rendered.   It is possibly one of the only reasons we (Americans)are still liked;)

20 minutes ago, Mauiguy said:

As an American expat I tip everywhere and offer a wai. 

The Wai is fabulous, such fun to watch locals brighten into full smiles when shown a little respect. I greet everyone with a wai and it is quite a friendly icebreaker. I also put out a lot of compliments and receive a lot too. I find the Thais to be loving souls.

There seem to be two kinds of people posting here, the ones who show ultimate selfless respect to locals and tradition, and they having a great time and loving the culture and the experience; then the others who sound both unhappy and self-centered.

Different worlds.

I'm a firm believer that you get out of life what you put into it, and the energy and vibe you direct at others is reflected right back at you.

This forum reinforces that belief.

9 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

The Wai is fabulous, such fun to watch locals brighten into full smiles when shown a little respect. I greet everyone with a wai

You are over doing it on the Wai ing .

You shouldnt Wai everyone , Thais dont , neither should you 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You are over doing it on the Wai ing .

You shouldnt Wai everyone , Thais dont , neither should you 

The Thais that I have gotten to know on a daily basis beat me to it, they wai me every time they see me and often more than once.

The only Thai I don't wai are children. 

Thai folks know I am not Thai and am bound to make cultural mistakes, when and how far to hold up the hands for social status ect.

The point is I am making every effort to be respectful, and it is obvious I am coming from a place of genuine respect, and I see my attempts warmly and graciously received every time.

Often it's just the bow of my head as my hands are full, in concert with the social greeting. 

I have yet to see anyone looking offended...

If I ever want to give someone a reward for going above and beyond as the OP seems to want to do, I buy something small but slightly opulent that the person would never be able to waste money on. It does two things. It gives selfie opportunities with said gift that will last for ages and allows a little luxury the person may never have splurged on for themselves.

Win win

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

... no one is looking for one...

Are you sure about that?

Did you ever ask 'do you expect / do you want a tip'?

And if the answer is 'no' would you take that as a serious 'no' or just politeness?

I suspect that most Thai's working in that industry would take your money if you offered it but the point being made is ... unlike the US ... no one is expecting or looking for a tip as if it were a right. No need to ask ... if you want to tip, up to you.

2 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

The Thais that I have gotten to know on a daily basis beat me to it, they wai me every time they see me and often more than once.

The only Thai I don't wai are children. 

Thai folks know I am not Thai and am bound to make cultural mistakes, when and how far to hold up the hands for social status ect.

The point is I am making every effort to be respectful, and it is obvious I am coming from a place of genuine respect, and I see my attempts warmly and graciously received every time.

Often it's just the bow of my head as my hands are full, in concert with the social greeting. 

I have yet to see anyone looking offended...

No Thai would be offended, they just might find it a bit strange or amusing. Thai's are proud of their culture and wouldn't give up their cultural norms and adopt foreigner behaviour ... why would a foreigner give up his cultural norms so readily? 

11 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Only in the US, eh?

So close, you only missed: 

I think you missed the word "optional" ... I've been to many of the countries above and they do not expect a tip as a God given right, like some service workers in the US. I've read of people being harassed in the street by a waiter or waitress in the US for not leaving a gratuity. I've never read that anywhere else. It appears I not only get out, but get it. 

32 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think you missed the word "optional" ... I've been to many of the countries above and they do not expect a tip as a God given right, like some service workers in the US. I've read of people being harassed in the street by a waiter or waitress in the US for not leaving a gratuity. I've never read that anywhere else. It appears I not only get out, but get it. 

Lol I didn't list the "optional" countries I listed the "expected" countries ????

A swing and a miss ????

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

Lol I didn't list the "optional" countries I listed the "expected" countries ????

A swing and a miss ????

It's not expected in any of those countries in the way it is in the US, more a case of nice to get, but not a tragedy if you don't. You won't be harassed if you don't leave a tip ... it's optional.  

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, YogaVeg said:

Respectfully, I totally disagree. I read another thread where someone gave small change to a maid and she got angry. I've tipped in the Netherlands where the gesture was met with hostility. I've tipped in France and the waiter didn't understand and would not accept. I was later told it was an insult that questioned one's worth. Where I am from not leaving a certain % is very mean and tipping small change is an insult, there are very specific guidelines.

Cultural norms vary greatly it is wise to be aware of them or risk losing face or being insulting or condescending.

If someone doesn't want money, in any shape or form, I'm quite happy not to "tip" them. That a servant would get angry for being given money shows what an insane world we live in now. 

Personally, I only tip in Thailand for service over and above what they have to do, unless I know them, as in my usual restaurant.

Re the cleaner, if she made your life better, give her a big bag of coins.

I stay at the same inexpensive hotel every year for weeks at a time, the women keep my room nice and neat and they clean it as soon as I walk out the door in the morning. They give me extra things when I ask for them, and never said anything about randomly broken furniture in my room (3 chairs in 5 years) and they replace it with unbroken furniture. So I leave them 20 Baht everyday on the bed and we are all happy! 

Archived