Advice on tipping- long term accomodation?

YogaVeg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

I've no interest in arguing but your words prove that you clearly don't know. 

Tips are an integral basic part of the wage structure there, people from other lands often have great difficulty understanding the concept.

To not tip 15% minimum is tremendously offensive and insulting, and is taken very personally.

You don't yet understand this.

You are right tho, this isn't "rocket science" it's basic math. Just Google it.

In Thailand it is a different situation. Yet it remains a reasonable question to ask the cultural norms.

Every culture has explicit rules of conduct, and the whole point of the forum is to share knowledge.

Restaurants i go to in the US, predominantly in Florida typically put the service charge on the bill, in which case like i said i might leave a few dollars extra, i may not. If service was not on the bill i would pay the going rate of service. Why so complicated, its just common sense.

13 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Oops. Here's some solid advice:

In the USA there is a very clearly defined set of rules governing tipping- stray from those rules at your own peril.

Aside from the reverent desire to be culturally sensitive (what you might call "over thinking"),

one might consider possible unpleasant consequences for those who break norms.

Perhaps you got lucky with all of the "many countries" you've ignored local custom but I suspect it is more likely you created "issues" you weren't even aware of.

The folks you short-change aren't likely to confront you face to face.

That doesn't mean you haven't offended or insulted them.

In the USA, if you whimsically not tip, you'd be wise not return to that establishment, or you may be eating an undesirable addition to your meal, like spit.

Food for thought.

I"n the USA, if you whimsically not tip, you'd be wise not return to that establishment, or you may be eating an undesirable addition to your meal, like spit.

Food for thought"

You give a nice picture of Americans people  if you imply that someone will spit on your plate if you did not tip the previous time :sad:

22 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, that's her job (perhaps not the greeting thing) and if she didn't do it properly, customers might have complained and she'd get fired.  As it sounds like you're not interested in lugging that "big bag of coins" when you leave, just leave it in the room.

Suggest you give the bag of coins to her plus say a 500Baht note in the top of the bag.

Some staff won't just take the bag / tip without it being given, they will be frightened they will be accused of theft.

13 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

In the USA there is a very clearly defined set of rules governing tipping- stray from those rules at your own peril.

Aside from the reverent desire to be culturally sensitive (what you might call "over thinking"),

Perhaps you got lucky with all of the "many countries" you've ignored local custom but I suspect it is more likely you created "issues" you weren't even aware of.

In the USA, if you whimsically not tip, you'd be wise not return to that establishment, or you may be eating an undesirable addition to your meal, like spit.

Food for thought.

This is not the USA and practices in the USA are irrelevant to Thailand. 

38 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Why so complicated, its just common sense.

In one post you say:

"I know what the situation is in the US, and i leave a tip or not where appropriate....If i enjoy food and service i will leave a tip, sometimes large, sometimes small"

and in another post you say:

"Restaurants i go to in the US, predominantly in Florida typically put the service charge on the bill, in which case like i said i might leave a few dollars extra, i may not. If service was not on the bill i would pay the going rate of service"

Contradictory statements, no?

'leaving a tip or not' and 'sometimes large sometimes small' are not the going rate of service. The going rate of service is clearly defined at 15% to 20%.

Not complicated at all, common sense once you understand the basics, yes.

Clearly not everybody does.

The main point of this thread is a request to understand the cultural norms of tipping in regards to Thailand. Every country has different norms and to repeatedly say they are all 'common sense' and 'not rocket science' is frankly narrow-minded and dismissive.

I lived in Florida and they add service charges to the bill sometimes in case of groups. It's 15% to 20%, the standard of the nation. Tipping on top of that is unnecessary and rather silly imho.

Thanks for your input and we can put this to rest.

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

This is not the USA and practices in the USA are irrelevant to Thailand. 

Not irrelevant when someone is coming from the USA contrasting the tipping cultures. The conversation took a turn towards understanding differences in different tipping cultures. One can compare and contrast, speak from what they know, to what they do not yet know, in a lively discussion.

In thailand i approach this topic like this for places where there is no "service charge".

Has the person been pleasant and helpful and in someway enhanced my visit or stay ? 

Do I want to buy them lunch= 50- 100 baht.

Do I want to buy them dinner 200 -300

Do I want to give them a days pay = 500

Do I want to put a big smile on their face ? =xxxx

So its as much as how I feel in relation to how generous I think they deserve and warrant acknowlegement.

There is no one size fits all - sorry ????

On 10/11/2018 at 7:28 AM, YogaVeg said:

How much per month is advised?

It depend on the length of your stay, so could be anything from 200 baht and up to 500 baht, when daily cleaning is not included. In a hotel I would often leave 20-baht a day; sometime for each cleaning lady, if they come two together. When I say "length of stay", it's because less than 500 baht given by a farang after a certain time, like a month, might seem stingy; and for a longer time of some months, a 1,000 baht might seem appropriate, even 500 baht might still do.

You can also compare to a typical salary of 300 baht to 500 baht a day – often it's slightly higher than the minimum salary, depending of accommodation included – so compared to for example 10,000-12,000 baht a month, which is a quite typical salary for cleaning staff, the 500-1,000 baht would be like 5-10 percent. Would you be happy to be tipped 5-10 percent of your monthly salary..?

However, it's a question of what one can afford, and the balance of neither undertipping, nor overtipping...????

Thank you all very much for your thoughtful advice, it is very helpful. ????

I appreciate your thoughts, and I have a much clearer understanding of expectations in Thailand now.

This is what I love about this forum!

It would have taken me at least a month to get all these perspectives in person chatting folks up. Great stuff and thanks again!

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I’ve stayed long-term on many occasions and never left a tip, and that has never been an issue because no one is looking for one. Tipping is a US phenomenon and it is entirely optional anywhere else ... so no need, up to you. 

... no one is looking for one...

Are you sure about that?

Did you ever ask 'do you expect / do you want a tip'?

And if the answer is 'no' would you take that as a serious 'no' or just politeness?

I find tipping quite difficult, am not used to that from back home.

I find it very difficult in the US, can handle restaurants, apart from that - very difficult

I find it difficult in LoS, restaurants and bars and taxis I can handle but apart from that - difficult

probably not rocket science but still a challenge for me

over the years I have screwed up several times in the US by not tipping in situations where tip is expected

but tipping would have been totally weird to me

have spent 30 years constantly crisscrossing the planet, tipping does not come naturally to me

I often ask the reception in hotels re tipping, they offer mostly piss

years and years ago I stayed 2-3 times at a rather posh hotel in London, UK

in the room was an information booklet with guide to foreigners,

tipping was well covered

the booklet also had a language guide for american speakers - covering things like

rubber-eraser, fag-cig, knickers, fanny-pussy, lots of words like that -- good

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I"n the USA, if you whimsically not tip, you'd be wise not return to that establishment, or you may be eating an undesirable addition to your meal, like spit.

Food for thought"

You give a nice picture of Americans people  if you imply that someone will spit on your plate if you did not tip the previous time :sad:

Sneezer for Sure...

22 hours ago, smutcakes said:

If you want to leave a few baht, leave it, if you dont, dont. Its really not that difficult a concept, and there is no right or wrong answer, each to their own and sod whatever anyone else thinks.

it is about time this stupid American nonsense stopped.☹️

15 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Food for thought.

When I first came to stay in Thailand, I went into a restaurant for a meal with the missus, the waiter brought my meal, French Fries, without the chicken, that came 35 mins later, when it came to pay the bill, the waiter was hovering around after giving me my change, I just glared at him, not saying anything as the missus was within earshot.

2 hours ago, heybuz said:

I would but he's worth a couple of billion bht and I stay in one of his apartments rent free

I like ur cuckatoo profile pic...  Thats nice of him for ur accom but 50-100 bht is cheap tip.  If she was a waitress sure these add up and thats a high tip.  But a common area cleaner doesnt really get tipped as they are looked at as they are doing their job.  Personally a days pay for a long time service is fair about 300-500.  50-100 baht even for a thai isnt much these days.

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I know what the situation is in the US, and i leave a tip or not where appropriate. I have never been beaten up, spat on or given food poisoning despite going to the same restaurants countless time. For me the whole thing is just about common sense and just being sensible. If i enjoy food and service i will leave a tip, sometimes large, sometimes small. I don't think there is any country where doing that is going to offend people much. I don't believe its rocket science just common sense, polite etiquette and having awareness of your surroundings.

The Americans will tell you that the waiters depend on tips as they are that poorly paid. Just before the first time I went to America, I was reading a guide book, and it said that to expect to pay about 20% of your holiday money on tips. 

I resented that advice and never paid a tip the whole time I was there. I was traveling around so did not use the same restaurant twice.

13 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

I like ur cuckatoo profile pic...  Thats nice of him for ur accom but 50-100 bht is cheap tip.  If she was a waitress sure these add up and thats a high tip.  But a common area cleaner doesnt really get tipped as they are looked at as they are doing their job.  Personally a days pay for a long time service is fair about 300-500.  50-100 baht even for a thai isnt much these days.

I think he was talking taxis, wait staff and just general day stuff

20 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The Americans will tell you that the waiters depend on tips as they are that poorly paid. 

I resented that advice and never paid a tip the whole time I was there. I was traveling around so did not use the same restaurant twice.

Wow you really couldn't care less, eh? You just dance around the world pissing on people then brag about it.

Completely culturally insensitive and proud of it.

Aren't you special? ????????

I admit I tip everyone- from the guy annoyingly blowing his whistle in a car party, staff in restaurants, staff in my local supermarket always unload my trolley and take everything to the car- they get a good tip. I tip delivery guys -everyone.

I have never ever found that a tip is unappreciated, my view is these people don’t earn too much and like everyone else has to pay their rent, feed the family etc- hope that does not sound too colonial .

So the OP , if this lady has been pleasant and friendly and has done a good job. Why not be generous, you could get one of those gift baskets add a bit of cash- to say thanks.

You feel good, the lady will really appreciate it .

2 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Wow you really couldn't care less, eh? You just dance around the world pissing on people then brag about it.

Completely culturally insensitive and proud of it.

Aren't you special? ????????

Who's bragging? I am just stating something, and yes, I am special. Happy now?

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Tipping is a US phenomenon and it is entirely optional anywhere else ... so no need, up to you. 

Only in the US, eh?

So close, you only missed: 

23 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Respectfully, I totally disagree. I read another thread where someone gave small change to a maid and she got angry. I've tipped in the Netherlands where the gesture was met with hostility. I've tipped in France and the waiter didn't understand and would not accept. I was later told it was an insult that questioned one's worth. Where I am from not leaving a certain % is very mean and tipping small change is an insult, there are very specific guidelines.

Cultural norms vary greatly it is wise to be aware of them or risk losing face or being insulting or condescending.

You're obviously struggling with being aware, as your example of tipping in France. Why would anyone tip in a country which already has a 20% service charge attached to the bill?

46 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Only in the US, eh?

So close, you only missed: 

No website is relevant in telling one how to tip anywhere in the world. Bigthink is just a collection of other people's thoughts and opinions and is as valid or not as you wish it to be - bit like most of TV really!

I've said this elsewhere on TV but I follow 2 principles:

1 Tips are for me to give, not for others to take or expect.

2 I give tips when service deserves it in my (the customer's) opinion or when the serving person is so efficient and/or charming that I wish to reward them.

Archived