Advice on tipping- long term accomodation?

YogaVeg

So, what's the standard in Thailand?

I'll soon be leaving a long-term rental thinking to tip the housekeeper. I've been cleaning the place myself, but now it's her turn to do the big clean, as I'm leaving.

I've always been impressed with the halls being clean, garbage taken away, and she is always here and greets me cheerfully, ect.

I have a big bag of coins, but just read that coins might be an insult. Over-tipping maybe an insult too? Ok to hand directly or just leave in room? How much per month is advised?

I'm frugal but not cheap and really enjoyed my stay so am happy to be generous, respectfully.

Any advice is greatly appreciated ????

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

I've always been impressed with the halls being clean, garbage taken away, and she is always here and greets me cheerfully, ect.

Yes, that's her job (perhaps not the greeting thing) and if she didn't do it properly, customers might have complained and she'd get fired.  As it sounds like you're not interested in lugging that "big bag of coins" when you leave, just leave it in the room.

8 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Its really not that difficult a concept, and there is no right or wrong answer, each to their own and sod whatever anyone else thinks.

Respectfully, I totally disagree. I read another thread where someone gave small change to a maid and she got angry. I've tipped in the Netherlands where the gesture was met with hostility. I've tipped in France and the waiter didn't understand and would not accept. I was later told it was an insult that questioned one's worth. Where I am from not leaving a certain % is very mean and tipping small change is an insult, there are very specific guidelines.

Cultural norms vary greatly it is wise to be aware of them or risk losing face or being insulting or condescending.

3 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Respectfully, I totally disagree. I read another thread where someone gave coins to the maid here in Thailand and she got angry. I've tipped in the Netherlands where the gesture was met with hostility. I've tipped in France and the waiter didn't understand and would not accept. I was later told it was an insult that questioned one's worth. Where I am from not leaving a certain % is very mean and tipping small change is an insult, there are very specific guidelines.

Cultural norms vary greatly it is wise to be aware of them or risk losing face or being insulting or condescending.

I have worked, traveled and lived through many countries and i have never once had an issue with leaving a tip or not. The only people who have issues like this are people who specifically look for issues. In this situation even more so. I doubt the maid would even be expecting a tip given she was a cleaner of the common area and had nothing to do with cleaning your room. But she sure is hell is not going to get upset if you leave a few baht.

Why do people other think/analyze everything these days.

7 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I have worked, traveled and lived through many countries and i have never once had an issue with leaving a tip or not. The only people who have issues like this are people who specifically look for issues. 

Why do people other think/analyze everything these days.

Oops. Here's some solid advice:

In the USA there is a very clearly defined set of rules governing tipping- stray from those rules at your own peril.

Aside from the reverent desire to be culturally sensitive (what you might call "over thinking"),

one might consider possible unpleasant consequences for those who break norms.

Perhaps you got lucky with all of the "many countries" you've ignored local custom but I suspect it is more likely you created "issues" you weren't even aware of.

The folks you short-change aren't likely to confront you face to face.

That doesn't mean you haven't offended or insulted them.

In the USA, if you whimsically not tip, you'd be wise not return to that establishment, or you may be eating an undesirable addition to your meal, like spit.

Food for thought.

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

In the USA...................................stop right there .

You are not in the USA , you are in Thailand .

As you are in Thailand , its irrelevant about what happens in the USA

stop right there .

If you are doubtful about the right amount (money), why not give her a nice variety of fruit. Just to say thank you. Quite inoffensive I think. My Thai wife does that a lot with fruit/vegetables from our garden and no one ever felt offended

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

stop right there .

Had you bothered to follow the thread, you would have noticed the previous poster said

"I have worked, traveled and lived through many countries and i have never once had an issue with leaving a tip or not"

Thus, I responded to it with first-hand information of a country I am familiar with, to add meaningful content to the conversation. Hardly irrelevant for those seeking to have worldly knowledge either.

Btw, you misquoted me also.

Since I started this thread, may I ask that you neither derail it, try to censor its contents, nor tell me what to do?

35 minutes ago, pikao said:

Why are you trying to liberate yourself by finding someone who tells you what to do ?

Curious question. Can't say I fully understand its application here but I am happy to offer some thoughts:

Knowledge is liberating. Experience is knowledge.

Travel is education.

Sharing experience builds intellectual strength.

We all have ignorance just on different topics. 

Better to learn from the mistakes of others rather than make them all yourself.

Words are the fingers that mould the minds of humans.

I view forums as a virtual opportunity to share ideas and constructive conversations. I understand forums to be anonymous intellectual playgrounds. In every playground there are those who just want to play, those who enjoy a fair game, and sometimes a bully too, some folks play nicer than others.

I take each statement with a grain of salt, and when a thought that comes my way rings relevant I entertain that thought further. 

I enjoy sharing ideas and experiences and a fair-minded debate.

I tire quickly of bullys and toxic thoughts and malevolent intent, and I am quick to ignore such energy.

Ultimately, when I reach out to the world seeking insight or advice, I expect an array of ideas to pick and choose from those thoughts which resonate with me, and discard those that don't.

For me this forum is a place to toss ideas out there for the community's consideration, watch what unfolds, and then separate the wheat from the chaff. 

A paradox indeed.

The only thing I would say regarding the original post is - Don't leave the tip in the room in the expectation that the intended recipient will find it.

Often, the person who checks the room is not the person you intended to tip, but they may take the money anyway.

Just hand the money (or other gift) to the intended housekeeper/maid/cleaner and say thank you. Why would anyone be offended by that?

8 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

In the USA there is a very clearly defined set of rules governing tipping- stray from those rules at your own peril.

Aside from the reverent desire to be culturally sensitive (what you might call "over thinking"),

one might consider possible unpleasant consequences for those who break norms.

Perhaps you got lucky with all of the "many countries" you've ignored local custom but I suspect it is more likely you created "issues" you weren't even aware of.

The folks you short-change aren't likely to confront you face to face.

That doesn't mean you haven't offended or insulted them.

In the USA, if you whimsically not tip, you'd be wise not return to that establishment, or you may be eating an undesirable addition to your meal, like spit.

Food for thought.

I know what the situation is in the US, and i leave a tip or not where appropriate. I have never been beaten up, spat on or given food poisoning despite going to the same restaurants countless time. For me the whole thing is just about common sense and just being sensible. If i enjoy food and service i will leave a tip, sometimes large, sometimes small. I don't think there is any country where doing that is going to offend people much. I don't believe its rocket science just common sense, polite etiquette and having awareness of your surroundings.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I know what the situation is in the US, and i leave a tip or not where appropriate.....

If i enjoy food and service i will leave a tip, sometimes large, sometimes small. I don't think there is any country where doing that is going to offend people much. 

I've no interest in arguing but your words prove that you clearly don't know. 

Tips are an integral basic part of the wage structure there, people from other lands often have great difficulty understanding the concept.

To not tip 15% minimum is tremendously offensive and insulting, and is taken very personally.

You don't yet understand this.

You are right tho, this isn't "rocket science" it's basic math. Just Google it.

In Thailand it is a different situation. Yet it remains a reasonable question to ask the cultural norms.

Every culture has explicit rules of conduct, and the whole point of the forum is to share knowledge.

I always try to take care of anyone in Thailand who does anything for me and I always tip servers, hotel maids, drivers etc (if they did a good job), but in this case, I don't think you need to tip her since she was cleaning the common area not your apartment. My Thai wife really appreciates that I am kind and take care of the people doing the menial labor but she also tells me that it is not good to tip too much.

10 hours ago, pikao said:

If you are doubtful about the right amount (money), why not give her a nice variety of fruit. Just to say thank you. Quite inoffensive I think. My Thai wife does that a lot with fruit/vegetables from our garden and no one ever felt offended

Sounds like a good idea.

It's a snake pit out there! Isn't TV wonderful, no sooner do you make a simple, politely-expressed request for knowledge on something such as the tipping custom in Thailand than they come at you, hissing.

For what it's worth, I would not tip the lady for doing her regular job, which from what you say includes cleaning rooms after tenants have vacated. However, if you have come to know her somewhat, a small gesture nicely presented, such as some fruit or cakes, would be sufficient - in my opinion an envelope with, for example, a few hundred Baht in it, is unwarranted and inappropriate - but undoubtedly it would be appreciated - though she may remember you as 'that profligate farang', rather than as 'that generous farang'. 

37 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I've no interest in arguing but your words prove that you clearly don't know. 

Tips are an integral basic part of the wage structure there, people from other lands often have great difficulty understanding the concept.

To not tip 15% minimum is tremendously offensive and insulting, and is taken very personally.

You don't yet understand this.

You are right tho, this isn't "rocket science" it's basic math. Just Google it.

In Thailand it is a different situation. Yet it remains a reasonable question to ask the cultural norms.

Every culture has explicit rules of conduct, and the whole point of the forum is to share knowledge.

glad to hear that about sharing knowledge. i was beginning to think that the point of the forum was to attack people who enjoy thailand and thai people and the unique culture.

4 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

It's a snake pit out there! Isn't TV wonderful, no sooner do you make a simple, politely-expressed request for knowledge on something such as the tipping custom in Thailand than they come at you, hissing.

For what it's worth, I would not tip the lady for doing her regular job, which from what you say includes cleaning rooms after tenants have vacated. However, if you have come to know her somewhat, a small gesture nicely presented, such as some fruit or cakes, would be sufficient - in my opinion an envelope with, for example, a few hundred Baht in it, is unwarranted and inappropriate - but undoubtedly it would be appreciated - though she may remember you as 'that profligate farang', rather than as 'that generous farang'. 

i am sure he will be considered a friendly and kindly person who has nam jai for someone less forrtunate. that is also part of the culture. 

Why not take the change to the bank or perhaps the office would like the change in exchange for paper notes. If you leave it consider leaving a note for her that she may keep it. The office in my building is always ready to change 1,000 for smaller bills or coins.

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

glad to hear that about sharing knowledge. i was beginning to think that the point of the forum was to attack people who enjoy thailand and thai people and the unique culture.

Understandable. This forum has lots of kind thoughtful contributors that respectfully approach Thailand and each other.

And definitely it's share of axe grinders too, who tend to be quick to respond and yet easy to spot.

I'm developing a thicker skin and it has been a learning curve.

But I find that if I let a thread sit, the positive folks come out of the woodwork. And the mods do clean up threads brought to their attention.

The well-intentioned souls here continue to make these conversations worthwhile. ????

Archived