Have A Cat Or Dog? You May Have To Pay ฿450 To Register Them

webfact

6 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

How do you tell the difference? In my area every dog is out in the street. Bloody obstical course going into town.

There are less dogs killed on the roads than humans...….Strange values!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

What happens if you don't register them?

It's not like they have an animal control department, or a animal pound to actually enforce any of this!

This is just another exercise in pointless proclamations.

Someone that lives in the real word! thank God! the only sensed comment since the whole conversation started! This is the point! There is nothing 'public' that can control this, or maybe they will give to the BiB the GT200 to check which dog or cat got a chip inside!

Good idea would be to use the registration money to pay people for bringing in a dead Soi dog, say 100 baht for each dead pest brought in to be incinerated  The dog problem here is getting completely out of hand, the answer is simple, but nobody has the guts to do it.

Euthanize dogs and cats, really?

Nobody will pay, and as for spaying/neutering...I had to strongarm our vet into doing that. So the idea that anyone will fund that out of the public purse is insane!

The dirty rotten truth is that Thai's don't really have much regard for animals.

For most of us farangs, we have pets for companionship and love.

At best for an awful lot of cats and dogs in Thailand get fed, and for an awful lot more, they fend for themselves, with no veterinary care or much else!

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have no problems registering my dog, but I wonder what the point it besides paying off a Thai. What are the actual benefits for dog owners or others that will done with this money. 

It will be real owners be it Thai (or farang will pay the rest not a chance! and in all probability  even more dogs will be dumped 

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

It will be real owners be it Thai (or farang will pay the rest not a chance! and in all probability  even more dogs will be dumped 

Those are my views too, my dog does not roam, sleeps in my home gets walked 3 times a day. Made sure he does not shit where people walk (just a secluded piece of park). Gets his rabbies shots and all. I doubt anything will be done with the money that helps.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I have no problems registering my dog, but I wonder what the point it besides paying off a Thai. What are the actual benefits for dog owners or others that will done with this money. 

Oh well none of course. It is another layer of beaurocratic activity. It will benefit those operating the scheme. There will be committees (travel and various other allowances), appointments and people in charge ( patronage, opportunities for nepotism and status) , a budget will have to be allocated and managed (no comment). Come back in two years, and every amphur will have a new building, staffed by people in khaki uniforms, and ranks of plastic chairs outside for the plebs to sit and wait, a queing system supervised by a uniformed security guard with the inevitable whistle. Now we are in the technological white heat frenzy of Thailand 4.0 then one can expect everyone of any importance in the organisation to be issued with an iPad, to allow for the records to be seamlessly accessed day or night.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the dogs are required to report every 90 days to the office!

Meanwhile the stray dogs will continue to eke out their miserable existence, and fellows like the chap in the OP photograph will continue to do whatever they can to make the animals lives better, reliant on charity.

So, lots of benefits, but not for the dogs or their owners...

25 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

Another one that lives in Dreamland... Who is going to sterilize all the strays? who's going to pay for it? Do you think they going to pay the sterilization with the income from the new dog/cat tax? I mean reality check sometimes is not hurting, IT'S NOT GONNA WORK. 

I'm not in Dreamland. I did caveat this with the words "if anything is done at all". Perhaps this should have been better highlighted by me.

Anyway, the GF has told me that this has already been cancelled. Another "law" that's been overturned due to public outcry. How many of these with the current military Government? You'd have thought soldiers would be able to stand up to the people. Imagine this lot in a real military conflict?

According to another news source, the government has backtracked on this due to (surprise surprise) public outcry. The proposed 25,000 baht fine for failing to register you pet may have been a factor.

In principal I agree, in city areas, not rural. A more realistic figure would be 350bht for cats, 450bht for dogs, incl shots and sterilisation.. And the vets would be reimbursed for their fees. A standardised collar tag to identify the registered animal.. 

But a 25,000 fine for having an unregistered animal, is as usual, a ridiculous AMOUNT over the top, where the penalty never suits the crime.. TIT.. A 2500bht for noncompliance, first offence would make more SENSE after a first warning.. 

And exemptions should be for animal shelter carers that are housing homeless dogs and cats.. 

IMO.. 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I'm all for it if they can make it work, which on past performance, it won't. If they do enforce it, the Thais next door with nine dogs will be in for a shock. So will the farang who lives near me who lets his six dogs roam the community. If it were up to me, households would be limited to one PET dog which must be kept behind a locked gate except when being walked, on a lead, by an adult. I think it'd be more appropriate if dogs were to be required to have a licence for owners, most of whom are completely irresponsible in this country, farang included.

They won't make this work and it will only result in more dogs on the streets. The opposite of what we want. Anyway they did a U turn already its now not going through.

I don't have a problem paying but only if there are benefits for either owner or dog or dogs as a whole. Not just a tax for making money.

Anyway I think people should be allowed to keep as many dogs as they want as long as the dogs are well behaved not causing a nuisance.

My dog is silent while the two dogs next door keep yapping (does not bother me im used to it). So it is really dependent on the dog and owner.

"฿300 for an identification item he did not elaborate on."

If this is a data chip then I would say that this is well worth the cost to anyone that can afford it and I don't see any other way of being able to track who dogs belong to without it.

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Actually registering pets does makes perfect sense. You can then keep a record of important vacations such a rabies. It's about time people started taking responsibility for their animals here in LOS.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The problem is the only ones that will pay this are the ones that already are responsibly taking care of their pets.

Absolutely direct opposite of what the government should be doing - this will deincentivise most dog "owners" from registering.  Free (required) registration, fines if not registered and licensed.  Free neutering/spaying.  Anyone think there are already too many stray dogs running around, or just me? 

4 hours ago, AaronC76 said:

"฿300 for an identification item he did not elaborate on."

If this is a data chip then I would say that this is well worth the cost to anyone that can afford it and I don't see any other way of being able to track who dogs belong to without it.

a tattoo number... the world was like this before microchip

It is funny to see how many people that don't know a fXXk about dogs (or pets in general) are barking in this topic

23 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Got a motorbike?

Got a car?

You may have to pay tax and have a licence soon.

I also understand prostitution is illegal.

I think this was made up for the 1st of April, but got out six months earlier.????

1 hour ago, MekkOne said:

a tattoo number... the world was like this before microchip

It is funny to see how many people that don't know a fXXk about dogs (or pets in general) are barking in this topic

Ain't nobody giving my bitches a slag tag thank you very much

On 10/11/2018 at 3:17 PM, cyberfarang said:

Paying 450 baht to keep my dog, of course, my dog is part of the family.

But if they start demanding that amount to register my wife, no way, ridiculous, absurd.

nor registering my 3 goldfish

Archived