Have A Cat Or Dog? You May Have To Pay ฿450 To Register Them

webfact

Have A Cat Or Dog? You May Have To Pay ฿450 To Register Them

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

S__21569565-696x504.jpg

Pisit ‘Loong Yee’ Kumkom, 69, takes care of almost 500 abandoned animals Thursday in Western Bangkok.

BANGKOK — A government spokesman said pet owners will soon need to register their pets for ฿450 each – prompting concerns and backlash from both academics and abandoned pet carers.

Junta spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the cabinet on Wednesday passed a law requiring owners to pay ฿450 to register their pets. He didn’t say when the measure would come into force.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/10/11/have-a-cat-or-dog-you-may-have-to-pay-฿450-to-register-them/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-11

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All over Thai daily news or whatever site this morning Mrs Poohy told me.

Either way expect many more dogs to be dumped by our, caring Buddhist, i wouldn't hurt a fly i love nature hosts

PS A family living in best described a derelict shed near us have about 10 dogs are things going to change , dogs will still die of neglect illness (they are fed seemingly on rancid fish guts)or get run over (although its only a farm track so not a great occurrence)

We took a puppy a few months ago from there shes fit and well inoculated and BIG  with us........ the siblings are all dead except one that can barely stand

One certainty is they wont get registered!

I guess the Thais who spend thousands of baht on designer puppies, will have to pay up. The Thais who adopt free mongrels, feed them on scraps and just let them suffer and die when they get sick? Not a chance.
The monks at the temples are going to be oh so busy with all the dumped pooches.

Actually registering pets does makes perfect sense. You can then keep a record of important vacations such a rabies. It's about time people started taking responsibility for their animals here in LOS.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Not going to work... or even be enforced, apart form maybe for use farangs, or some hi so doggy breeders.  It will be a money making thing.

Out in the villages there are dogs and cats roaming all over the place, have puppies and kittens and never taken to a vet or vaccinated.

How will they know who the animals belong to?  If they checked on a house with lots of dogs and cats running about the owner will just say.... 'they are not mine'.  

Anyway, the poor people can't afford that much money for each cat and dog.  I can't imagine the old lady living in a shack in my street (who has over 20 cats) is going to be about to pay up.. as she can't even afford the food for them or herself.... so will they arrest her and put her in prison as she cant pay the fine....no.

The people how look after their pets will be the ones that pay.. and the people who collect dogs and dump unwanted puppies, who don't vaccinate or care for their pets... will still continue as normal.

I've just run the idea past Snowball, Cookie (dogs) and Kung Foo (cat). They have no particular objection, but are adamant that the money must not be found from their ration allowance!

Snowball wants a new pretty collar to hang her i.d. tags on...

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Expect the street dog population to rise significantly then...…...I've seen so many dogs abandoned when they pass that cute, na rak, cuddly little pup stage.  

One neighbour has a continuing cycle of pups that get ignored after they reach 6 months or so. They hang around a bit and then leave the area to wherever.

450 for each of my two is ok for me assuming there will be a receipt/certificate/tag etc.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I've just run the idea past Snowball, Cookie (dogs) and Kung Foo (cat). They have no particular objection, but are adamant that the money must not be found from their ration allowance!

My ex and self in UK had a cat that I used to call Cooking Fat.

Ex never saw the funny side of it.  ????????

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I just heard Snowball say that money can be found in your beer allowance ????

Yeah, The Man was on the village speakers today informing everyone of this new requirement.

Will the "tag" be an embedded chip as is required in the UK? If so great, easily identify roaming dogs and return them home, impound and destroy untagged same.

I really don't know what this is supposed to achieve, apart from a few baht in the Government coffers. The problem, as has been stated already, is strays. I suppose it could be a typically Thai knee-jerk reaction to the outcry over the young girl killed by pet dogs a few weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I really don't know what this is supposed to achieve, apart from a few baht in the Government coffers. The problem, as has been stated already, is strays. I suppose it could be a typically Thai knee-jerk reaction to the outcry over the young girl killed by pet dogs a few weeks ago.

This seems like the obvious first step to do anything about the strays/ferals/soi dogs. First you need to identify those dogs that belong to someone. Then you can start taking action on the rest of them. I don't really think any action will be taken, but the registration does sound like a prerequisite for that. Please let it be so...

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

My ex and self in UK had a cat that I used to call Cooking Fat.

Ex never saw the funny side of it.  ????????

Kung Foo was so named because when young he used to love fighting - now he has had the chop, or as my wife said "Kung Foo is now a ladyboy", he has calmed down a bit.

1 minute ago, androokery said:

This seems like the obvious first step to do anything about the strays/ferals/soi dogs. First you need to identify those dogs that belong to someone. Then you can start taking action on the rest of them. I don't really think any action will be taken, but the registration does sound like a prerequisite for that. Please let it be so...

If the action later be culling the soi dog herds, then they have my blessing - my dog is already registered, as I had to get import permits and do a tonne of paperwork to get the mutt here in the first place, I wonder if I have to "re-register" now then, as his chip ID etc were already vetted and inserted into some databases ????

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

I just heard Snowball say that money can be found in your beer allowance ????

Little Miss JAG wants a new phone for Christmas, so the beer allowance is already looking a bit threadbare!

19 minutes ago, androokery said:

Easily done, if you feed  it you are the owner.

1 minute ago, androokery said:

That sounds like a moral argument, not so much a legal one. And I think people culling soi dog packs want to stand more on legality than morals.

ALso if you feed it and its out on the street any problems and you are liable. Of course, none of this  will happen and expect no change anytime soon

Some people in our Moo Bhan,will not even pay 350 THB p.m. for

Security Guards,Garbage collection,and Lighting,anyway who is

going to organise this,are they going to have dog catchers,good

luck trying to catch a cat ,

Instead of trying to do something new,what about getting the

important things sorted out first,like carnage on the roads,

attacks with guns,knives,making sure the electricity does not

go off every time it rains or the wind blows,and the big Elephant

in the country, REALLY combating corruption.

regards Worgeordie

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, The Man was on the village speakers today informing everyone of this new requirement.

Will the "tag" be an embedded chip as is required in the UK? If so great, easily identify roaming dogs and return them home, impound and destroy untagged same.

And who is going to pay for the chipreader?Not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Sweetie Pie and Lurk have, in their particular feline manner, sniffed that mundane human matters are beneath them.

And that the quality of fish should be heightened and served in a selection for their dining pleasure...

Archived