Have A Cat Or Dog? You May Have To Pay ฿450 To Register Them

webfact

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Good idea would be to use the registration money to pay people for bringing in a dead Soi dog, say 100 baht for each dead pest brought in to be incinerated  The dog problem here is getting completely out of hand, the answer is simple, but nobody has the guts to do it.

I don’t know how long you’ve been around Bangkok, but the soi dog problem used to be WAY worse. I think it was 2004 there was an APEC meeting in Bangkok, and there was a big “round up” that became controversial, but in the end it really cleaned things up, and it hasn’t been as bad since - albeit, things could still improve by miles. Finding the cheapest way to sterilize the pups that nobody wants is a start. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, jak2002003 said:

Not going to work... or even be enforced, apart form maybe for use farangs, or some hi so doggy breeders.  It will be a money making thing.

Out in the villages there are dogs and cats roaming all over the place, have puppies and kittens and never taken to a vet or vaccinated.

How will they know who the animals belong to?  If they checked on a house with lots of dogs and cats running about the owner will just say.... 'they are not mine'.  

Anyway, the poor people can't afford that much money for each cat and dog.  I can't imagine the old lady living in a shack in my street (who has over 20 cats) is going to be about to pay up.. as she can't even afford the food for them or herself.... so will they arrest her and put her in prison as she cant pay the fine....no.

The people how look after their pets will be the ones that pay.. and the people who collect dogs and dump unwanted puppies, who don't vaccinate or care for their pets... will still continue as normal.

My missus says that once registered, the cat or dog will have a special tag with Owner info Etc that needs to be worn by the animal.

But all I can think of is the number of strays and abandoned dog numbers going through the roof when registation happens.

After all, 450 Baht is nearly 2 bottles of cheap Whiskey., a much higher priority to many.

What if you don't have the money? Are they going to confiscate your dogs and cats? 

No need to explain what the money is for either, and no need to ask, the apparent lack of interest in any of that on the part of the govt. tells you right there its just an excuse to collect money. Hopefully it won't end up being lucrative enough to be worth the bother.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, webfact said:

Junta spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the cabinet on Wednesday passed a law requiring owners to pay ฿450 to register their pets. He didn’t say when the measure would come into force.

one of the usual lukewarm boring news farts. :coffee1:

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

My missus says that once registered, the cat or dog will have a special tag with Owner info Etc that needs to be worn by the animal.

But all I can think of is the number of strays and abandoned dog numbers going through the roof when registation happens.

After all, 450 Baht is nearly 2 bottles of cheap Whiskey., a much higher priority to many.

That's right.  And if someone has 6 or so dogs, and a few cats with kittens... it will cost them a lot of money.  For many of the rural farming families that will be impossible to find.  

Then there are all the dogs and cats roaming about without owners (which seem to far exceed the owned and cared for ones).  They all won't have any registration... so what will happen to them?

If they are going to collect up all the dogs and cats without tags what will they do with them?  They won't kill them as they say its against their religion.  They won't have the money to house, feed and vet treat them.  

I really can't see how this is going to help anyone or any animal. In fact I can mostly see it causing more problems that it will fix. People will dump their pets if they can't afford the registration fees.  

For example, say I don't register my dog.  What will happen?  Who will report me, who will come to my house and inspect the dog, who will show evidence its mine, and who will take it away if I said its just a stray?  They are going to have to do this to every dog and cat owner in the country!  Not easy in the country were many people don't even have a fence around their property and the animals roam freely about.

Here children are still riding motorbikes, people not wearing helmets, no tax or insurance, driving cars and bikes drunk and all the rest of it.  If they can't change that basic and very important stuff how on earth will they manage this pet registration thing?

If they were serious it would be free to register the pets before a certain date.  Then they go out in force after that and collect all dogs / cats without the registration tag.  Owners will then have a week to collect their pets and pay to register them.

After that all dogs and cats without the tags are put to sleep if no owner claims them.

But, I can't see anyone here being able to organise that, find the funds to run it, and have the guts to be unpopular with the animal rights people.  

47 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

What if you don't have the money? Are they going to confiscate your dogs and cats? 

No need to explain what the money is for either, and no need to ask, the apparent lack of interest in any of that on the part of the govt. tells you right there its just an excuse to collect money. Hopefully it won't end up being lucrative enough to be worth the bother.

RE - What if you don't have the money? Are they going to confiscate your dogs and cats? 

Could be an good idea and lock them all up in the parliament to keep the members awake....

https://www.google.com/search?q=parliament+sleeps&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=a2yJsArFeYuQkM%3A%2C_ix4mMnLkJXe6M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTlCpJRSXnKAUFGT2K6Sa0KLJ0l3A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBp_jj7oDeAhUD_ywKHfDrCOIQ9QEwBXoECAIQBg#imgrc=a2yJsArFeYuQkM:

On 10/11/2018 at 3:55 PM, poohy said:

All over Thai daily news or whatever site this morning Mrs Poohy told me.

Either way expect many more dogs to be dumped by our, caring Buddhist, i wouldn't hurt a fly i love nature hosts

PS A family living in best described a derelict shed near us have about 10 dogs are things going to change , dogs will still die of neglect illness (they are fed seemingly on rancid fish guts)or get run over (although its only a farm track so not a great occurrence)

We took a puppy a few months ago from there shes fit and well inoculated and BIG  with us........ the siblings are all dead except one that can barely stand

One certainty is they wont get registered!

Cruelty, caused by full blown ignorance

On 10/12/2018 at 8:10 AM, MekkOne said:

Another one that lives in Dreamland... Who is going to sterilize all the strays? who's going to pay for it? Do you think they going to pay the sterilization with the income from the new dog/cat tax? I mean reality check sometimes is not hurting, IT'S NOT GONNA WORK. 

It is time you got off your bar stool and got out and about. It is not that long ago that the government vets were in this area vaccinating every dog and cat they could get their hands on. It was only last week that my wife took 11 kittens to a mobile clinic in town doing free sterilization, bit of a bonus as we would normally just pay the local vet.

There is nothing wrong with starting a registration scheme but charging for it is not really the best way to get started when many can hardly feed themselves and struggle to look after their animals at the best of times.

Currently we have over 60 abandoned cats mostly brought to us by neighbours, had the scheme gone ahead there would have been a bit of a queue at the front gate.

Archived