How much should a vet bill be?

Chula animal hospital charged my wife 12,000 baht for neutering our dog. That was a shock but the vet ran several tests over three visits to check his health and also treated a related hormone deficiency. The vet knew what she was doing and obviously cared about the dog's welfare so I didn't complain. It was a teaching case and interns were also involved.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I don't have experience with a dog but that sounds crazy high to me.

my colonoscopy at Bumrungrad Hospital cost less than 35000. 

My cats vet bills run 400-1250 baht. 1250 was for lab tests, antibiotics, shots... 

Maybe the one week stay is the expensive part. Did you see how the bill was broken down?

Look closer to home, following an invoice request from the vet. Go get a copy of that invoice!

In Vietnam, I witnessed a local friend lying about the bill of street food. I happen to know the exact amount and we are talking 50,000 Dong or $ 2.10. Still...

Keeping animals around for a week will unlikely cost more than a grand or two. Think the operation to neuter cats. Back in CA, I paid less than $ 100 in 2004. And they also cut her claws...

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Vet prices are high in Thailand. Where I live, a southern island, they charge 8,000 baht for a small operation and a few stitches, all done in a few hours, so when the dog is awake, it's ready to be picked up. Control visits are normally charged from 500 baht to 1,000 baht. I can see a human doctor for less...????

If I compare, I can imagine a week inpatient in the range of 35,000 baht being the price. I would also feel ripped off paying that, but presume there's not much choice without a government vet clinic.

This seems very high to me, and I live on the same island.

I can't speak to the cost of individual medicines/antibiotics, but overnight at my Vet's office for my cat was 200/night. Blood tests were about 1,500 for comprehensive ones.

It is worth shopping around a bit...

2 hours ago, Camelot said:

Chula animal hospital charged my wife 12,000 baht for neutering our dog

Wow nice profit for them. Dont people ask before having this done ? If they told me 12K baht I would have laughed and walked out. Thats a 1000 baht job anywhere I have been. Even at the university vet school where I live.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I can't speak to the cost of individual medicines/antibiotics, but overnight at my Vet's office for my cat was 200/night. Blood tests were about 1,500 for comprehensive ones.

I got free blood tests included in my operation fees...???? – but seems like dogs in general are more expensive than cats – perhaps I should consider a change from Odie to Garfield if my home country currency drops further against Thai baht...????

58 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I got free blood tests included in my operation fees...???? – but seems like dogs in general are more expensive than cats – perhaps I should consider a change from Odie to Garfield if my home country currency drops further against Thai baht...????

I find it hard to believe that the blood tests were "free" - seems more likely that they formed part of the cost of the operation.

I went through a horrendous couple of years where first one, and then another of my dogs needed frequent blood tests.  Regularly at least three times a week at one point, (to check whether well enough for chemo, and then to check what had happened after the chemo treatment)..

Relying on memory (....) they cost somewhere in between 800 and 1200 bht each time.

17 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I find it hard to believe that the blood tests were "free" - seems more likely that they formed part of the cost of the operation.

Of course they were not free, that why ???? is there, nothing is free, but it justified part of the 8,000 baht operation fee when other paid 1,500 bath for a blood test...????

And I'm not complaining about the vet bill, just posts in response to OP, and that I agree in that vet bills are high. I happily pay 8,000 baht twice for a neighbor's dog, which refused to go home and has been sleeping here for numerous years. It had a bad infection from ingrowing hairs, which is not unusual for Ridgeback dogs – not sure if it's a "Thai" or a "Phu Quoc", it looks more like the last, but they might be extremely similar – and I'm happy to see how well the dog feels now...????

9 hours ago, Camelot said:

Chula animal hospital charged my wife 12,000 baht for neutering our dog. That was a shock but the vet ran several tests over three visits to check his health and also treated a related hormone deficiency. The vet knew what she was doing and obviously cared about the dog's welfare so I didn't complain. It was a teaching case and interns were also involved.

PT Barnum would get a kick out of this.  Some people simply have no need or desire to economize.  That's cool. The concept of 'value' is highly subjective.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived