Getting a yellow book (tabian baan) in Mae Ai for a Brit.

Lungstib

I appear to be on a merry-go-round. I live 200kms from Chiang Mai so even going to Immigration is a long (8hour) return drive. I will soon need to renew my m'bike and car driving licenses (unfortunately on different months) which needs that address guarantee which C Mai immigration office now needs a month to supply. So I thought maybe a yellow book would help the situation but todays visit to Mae Ai Amphur informed me that I need a translation of my passport page and a letter of some sort from the British Embassy. With the Embassy 800kms away and not famous for its simplicity or friendliness this is maybe worse than dealing with immigration. Has anyone in Chiang Mai done this recently and what did it entail? Did you need to go to Bangkok? Could it be done by post? If dealing with the Brit Embassy is too difficult whats the current situation at the new airport immigration office to get a letter guaranteeing my address. Whats the price? How long the wait? I am up and down the Tha Ton - C Mai road so often I even know all the potholes and it looks like I'll be doing it even more. 

Phitsanulok Immigration told me to get a Yellow book instead of a Certificate of Residence in order to re-new my Driving Licence in December. Just been to the Amphur Office who said first of all that I and my girlfriend need to be married. Then asked about divorce papers from my UK wife (16 years ago) even though I had not said I had been married previously.  We have been together 10 years, lived in the house I built 6 years ago, I support family and dog, and car. On my 4th retirement extension after work permit. So the question is: What DO I need to get a Yellow Book. Do we need to be married. Do I need translation of Passport, divorce paper, something from Her Majesty? Thanks one and all, and especially Ubon Joe who will know everything.

Asked on this forum a few weeks ago on behalf of a friend and it basically transpired that Yellow Books will not longer be issued, this was confirmed by staff on my estate who helped me to get mine years ago. Maybe other areas are different?

Residence letter, pay an agent and get it next day.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Phitsanulok Immigration told me to get a Yellow book instead of a Certificate of Residence in order to re-new my Driving Licence in December. Just been to the Amphur Office who said first of all that I and my girlfriend need to be married. Then asked about divorce papers from my UK wife (16 years ago) even though I had not said I had been married previously.  We have been together 10 years, lived in the house I built 6 years ago, I support family and dog, and car. On my 4th retirement extension after work permit. So the question is: What DO I need to get a Yellow Book. Do we need to be married. Do I need translation of Passport, divorce paper, something from Her Majesty? Thanks one and all, and especially Ubon Joe who will know everything.

Offices can and do vary as with so many things. You will need your passport, appropriate long term visa, advisable to have the ID page translated into Thai. Your marriage certificate, your wife, her ID and her tabien baan.

Now, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, tell your wife to be quiet and not answer for you.

If they have questions they ask you NOT HER on your behalf, she can translate but not answer as that can unknowingly cause complications and further evidence or more explanation.

Thats what we did and had no problem. Out in 20 minutes.????

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Offices can and do vary as with so many things. You will need your passport, appropriate long term visa, advisable to have the ID page translated into Thai. Your marriage certificate, your wife, her ID and her tabien baan.

Now, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, tell your wife to be quiet and not answer for you.

If they have questions they ask you NOT HER on your behalf, she can translate but not answer as that can unknowingly cause complications and further evidence or more explanation.

Thanks for this. However we are NOT married.....living in sin! Latest is that we must go next week with the head of her village plus a couple of local friends who will attest that we have been together a long time. Fingers crossed. At which Ampho did you do it please?

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In Chiang Mai Charlie, recently?

Archived