Toilet sealant replacement

Inderpland

The wc in my bathroom has lost most of the sealant at the base and water has started seeping out. Advice on how to replace it will be much appreciated.

I have scraped away all the old sealant I can reach but I am guessing that the water will continue to leak until the water in the bowl is gone so I guess I have to somehow remove it or can I reapply sealant on a damp surface?

If I have to remove the water what would be the best way to do that?

I was planning on using silicone as a replacement but is there a better alternative? 

Silicone sealant will work but  not  long term,what you

need is a  wax washer ,it's like a wax ring,you will have

to move your toilet,prepair where the toilet fixes too,so

its flat,put the toilet on the wax ring and tighten down,

then grout around toilet, you should find the wax ring

at builders supplies,like Homepro,etc.

regards worgeordie     P.S. careful tightening down the toilet,you could break it

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Silicone sealant will work but  not  long term,what you

need is a  wax washer ,it's like a wax ring,you will have

to move your toilet,prepair where the toilet fixes too,so

its flat,put the toilet on the wax ring and tighten down,

then grout around toilet, you should find the wax ring

at builders supplies,like Homepro,etc.

regards worgeordie     P.S. careful tightening down the toilet,you could break it

Thanks, if I have to move the toilet then I definitively have to empty the bowl. Any tips on doing that?

I believe he is talking about around the base of toilet which is normally white cement - wax sealer is seldom used here although has become available in recent times.  Toilets are not normally screwed down - just cement applied around base and you wait for it to dry before using again.  This would normally be repaired by worker removing toilet and old cement/cleaning and then re-cementing in place.  Not hard or expensive and done most workers will have experience doing.  You do not have to remove water - it is the flushed water that is leaking so just turn off tap to toilet and remove hose (worker can do).  

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

I believe he is talking about around the base of toilet which is normally white cement - wax sealer is seldom used here although has become available in recent times.  Toilets are not normally screwed down - just cement applied around base and you wait for it to dry before using again.  This would normally be repaired by worker removing toilet and old cement/cleaning and then re-cementing in place.  Not hard or expensive and done most workers will have experience doing.  You do not have to remove water - it is the flushed water that is leaking so just turn off tap to toilet and remove hose (worker can do).  

OK, but what about using silicone instead of white cement?

Leaking because the seal between the base and the soil pipe has either gone or was never installed, more than likely never installed
Once you drain the cistern there is minimal water left in the U bend
New wax seals can be found though not as easily as you may think and they give the best seal IMO
Use grout instead of silicone around the base as it will last longer, not had much luck here with silicone at all.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Wax seals are readily available in Buriram to use when installation a one piece or two piece modern flushing toilet. I contacted the technical department of Cotto Siam Sanitary Ware for details in English and Thai when removing a Chinese made American Standard Champion two piece toilet and installing a dual flush Cotto one piece toilet. The technician was able to speak and guide my workers to the right products and follow the guidelines for a professional installation with venting. Several brands of toilets in Thailand include the wax seal flange set in the mid to high end models. Reputable brands can provide assistance in Thai if you have your builders merchant store give you the best contact phone numbers.  I have seen the Cotto wax seal and flange set on sale at several Buriram Builders Merchants Stores. 

Buriram Cotto One Piece high seatToilet.jpg

Buriram Cotto one piece toilet professional installation.jpg

Buriram Cotto toilet flange wax seal set included.jpg

Buriram Surin Cotto Toilet Flange Wax Seal.JPG

wax seals are not for the faint hearted. The idea is flawless....if you get it right, and by that I mean having your stub stack "cock on" to the mm and then sitting the heavy pan on to that ring first time.

you don't get a second chance. if you do it wrong the seal is fubar.

I much prefer to mix a bucket of gobbo, but even better than that a UK system where every soil pipe goes out of the wall horizontally.

Archived