Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

2 hours ago, watso63 said:

It's all well and good showing bank deposits totalling 800.000/400,000 from the previous year but that doesn't guarantee everyone will have that for the upcoming year. At least income verification from a recognised pension agency, especially DWP should be verifiable still. Oh dear what a mess. The "rubber stamp" lady really has been coining it in on behalf of the UK GOV over the years. Nice work if you can get it but now their scam has been rumbled by the Thai authorities. What's next, freedom to marry certificates? Couldn't run a pi$$ up in a brewery????????????

freedom to marry

good point

might as well terminate consular services

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Thanks for the inside info re the negotiating experience of the BE.

I have no inside info on how the BE negotiates but I listened to the interview and it was obvious to me and others on this board- that the BE spokesperson was tap dancing around the issue and did not give a definitive answer on how it all came down and for sure does not understand how Thai Imm Works and operates.

I am not British so whatever she says and does should not have any affect- but someone at the BE made a statement that this applied to Americans and I am still pissed off about this and to me it shows a complete lack of diplomatic decorum and a lack of how diplomacy works.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

No they certainly don't nor do they follow the US model.  The BE model while flawed was acceptable to the Thai authorities until someone at the BE saw the chance to do away with the letter instead of trying to accommodate Thai Imm or at least explain in detail what they actually do. I was under the impression diplomats assuaged feelings  and offered to work together to find a solution.

The UK is no longer willing to waive through financial statements, and nor does it consider it has the resources to do so. Motivation is somewhat irrelevant now. And it not the UK's job to accommodate Thai immigration, but rather to consider and respond. The easiest way forward would be for TI to take the process in-house IMHO. In the interim, maybe the UK can extend the deadline, but that has its own set of drawbacks.

Edited by SheungWan

54 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not my experience of applying for an O-A at the embassy in London. Reqired 3 bank statements and my P60. No bank letter, no notorisation.

It is a requirement in London that all copied documents are notarised but originals are accepted. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I think it is for Thai Immigration to determine whether Thai Immigration needs the letter, not the British Embassy.

I think I see what has happened now. The Embassy had an internal audit with inspectors from London. The inspectors quite reasonably questioned whether the Embassy really needed to issue the letters. Presumably, they were told by local consular officials that there were other ways of verifying income through bank statements etc. Brownie points all round for streamlining procedures and ending bureaucratic time wasting. What was overlooked was the awkward fact that Thai Immigration still wanted these letters from the Embassy - even though they served no logical purpose.

The inspectors duly returned to London but the low-level consular staff having realised they had screwed up were reluctant to revert to the inspectors to change their recommendations. Maybe the report has already been issued. Therefore we end up in the current absurd position.

And you sir have hit the nail on the head. Its similar to what I posted a few days ago. That is exactly what happened. I have seen it many times before when I worked for BT in the UK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I think it is for Thai Immigration to determine whether Thai Immigration needs the letter, not the British Embassy.

I think I see what has happened now. The Embassy had an internal audit with inspectors from London. The inspectors quite reasonably questioned whether the Embassy really needed to issue the letters. Presumably, they were told by local consular officials that there were other ways of verifying income through bank statements etc. Brownie points all round for streamlining procedures and ending bureaucratic time wasting. What was overlooked was the awkward fact that Thai Immigration still wanted these letters from the Embassy - even though they served no logical purpose.

The inspectors duly returned to London but the low-level consular staff having realised they had screwed up were reluctant to revert to the inspectors to change their recommendations. Maybe the report has already been issued. Therefore we end up in the current absurd position.

I agree with your first sentence, but it is not just about wanting a letter, but what that letter represents. The BE has determined that it cannot comply with the Thai requirement. I do not think the current situation is absurd, but it does have consequences for British citizens caught up in the repercussions. Such is life.

Just now, jimn said:

And you sir have hit the nail on the head. Its similar to what I posted a few days ago. That is exactly what happened. I have seen it many times before when I worked for BT in the UK.

BT as in British Telecom? I left the sinking ship as soon as it was confirmed that it was going to be privatised.

23 minutes ago, jayboy said:

"were reluctant to revert to the inspectors to change their recommendations."

Face?

25 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I have no inside info on how the BE negotiates but I listened to the interview and it was obvious to me and others on this board- that the BE spokesperson was tap dancing around the issue and did not give a definitive answer on how it all came down and for sure does not understand how Thai Imm Works and operates.

I am not British so whatever she says and does should not have any affect- but someone at the BE made a statement that this applied to Americans and I am still pissed off about this and to me it shows a complete lack of diplomatic decorum and a lack of how diplomacy works.

I can't recall anyone saying that it applied to Americans - someone said that the Americans were looking at the situation which is completely different. 

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

"were reluctant to revert to the inspectors to change their recommendations."

Face?

More like fear. F.O. mandarins vs minor consular officials from some backwater embassy.

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

I can't recall anyone saying that it applied to Americans - someone said that the Americans were looking at the situation which is completely different. 

It was said when the story first broke but has never been repeated.  The US Embassy has indicated that the letters will continue but the issue is being looked into.

The Australian Embassy has placed  a notice on their website that it does not due Income Letters but statutory declarations/Affidavits that are sworn to and they will continue as such

The Aussie statement is the most logical one yet- Status Quo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

I have asked under the FOI act for various information regarding this matter from the UK FCO.  Let's see in about 3 weeks time what exactly they have recorded in their memos/discussions with Thai Immigration on this matter.

By the way any other TV members requested this ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

They said, that to save resources, the consulate should cease doing for customers what the latter can do by other means.

This.

The BE and FCO can save money by eliminating one of the alternative ways a retiree or married person can prove they have enough money to legally stay in Thailand.

When it comes to the agents, or the providers of money that doesn't belong to the applicant or those simply approving the locally generated paperwork that says it does belong to the foreign applicant, that will most assuredly go on and on.... and on.

End of.

Edited by NanLaew

Just now, NanLaew said:

This.

The BE and FCO can save money by eliminating one of the alternative ways a retiree or married person can provide they have enough money to legally stay in Thailand.

When it comes to the agents, or the providers of money that doesn't belong to the applicant or those simply approving the locally generated paperwork that says it does belong to the foreign applicant, that will most assuredly go on and on.... and on.

End of.

You may be underestimating Big Joke.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jimn said:

Lol. Yes it was. I left in 2013 after 40 years 

In the days when it was "Good to Talk".

Now its email, Facebook and other anti social forms of communication.   Much like the way the British Embassy has communicated on this issue initially and when they did give a verbal response it appears to have doubt ridden aspects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I used to work as an Internal Auditor for a large UK banking group, and this is where the majority of my pension income comes from.

I agree, the change might have been the result of an audit, but then I ask myself how many audits have been carried out in Bangkok since the BE started issuing income letters.

Either the auditors weren't doing there job on previous visits and/or there has been a change policy by FO or a unilateral decision has been taken by BE Bangkok.

It would be very useful if the Thai Immigration came out with a clear policy statement to either confirm or dismiss the BE statement(s).

Edited by joebrown
Add final paragraph
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Have you ever looked into the exchange rate you are getting for your over the counter withdrawl, it will be very poor compared to the daily TT rate or even the ATM rate. 

The exchange rate is the daily TT rate for that day. If you are getting something different you need to change banks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

The exchange rate is the daily TT rate for that day. If you are getting something different you need to change banks.

Why would you be getting the TT rate, its not a telegraphic transfer (account to account), it would be the ATM rate or the credit card cash advance rate. 

If you use an ATM or over the counter, its the ATM rate or you can elect to (if the counter withdrawal offers) continue without the ATM conversion rate, then its the credit/debit card provider rate. Either way its a very low rate compared to TT rate or cash rate. A payment or a withdrawal with a credit/debit card is never the TT rate. Yes its convenient and you save the ATM fees but on a large withdrawal you are probably a few thousand baht worse off ,due to the low exchange rate.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, joebrown said:

I agree, the change might have been the result of an audit, but then I ask myself how many audits have been carried out in Bangkok since the BE started issuing income letters.

Either the auditors weren't doing there job on previous visits and/or there has been a change policy by FO or a unilateral decision has been taken by BE Bangkok.

Probably significant that they are downsizing to the new, smaller embassy. Probably the thrust of the audit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orac said:

The impression I got from the interview was that it was not just a compliance audit but one to evaluate where costs could be cut and downsizing take place. Needs to be remembered this is all taking place at the same time as they move from a large site of prime real estate into a condo or such like in the CBD.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Given the reported 250 people a month that they charge 2,300 baht means they’re walking away from almost 7 million baht in annual revenue... Good way to cut costs!... :coffee1:

• Like 1

Just now, sfokevin said:

Given the reported 250 people a month that they charge 2,300 baht means they’re walking away from almost 7 million baht in annual revenue... Good way to cut costs!... :coffee1:

It's not how accountants think. It's probable that on paper (accountants paper) that the service didn't make much of aprofit and accountants see a net positive by ceasing the service.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1