Reentry permits

Hi, 
The information i have found on re entry permits state that
this is available for leaving Thailand for a "short period".
is there a time limit on this ?

At present i spend 6 months in UK, then 6 months in Thailand
each year. 

At the moment I get a single entry o visa(based on marriage) to
come to Thailand, then 3 months in take a trip to Vientiane to
get a new single entry visa.
I would like to try and remove the hassle and expense of having
to make a trip out of Thailand half way through my stay.

Assuming I could deposit the 400k in my Thai bank account, could
I get a 1 year extension on my visa after my first 90 days, then
90 days later get a reentry permit before i go back to UK for 6 months,
come back to Thailand on the same visa, then 90 days in start the same
process again.
(this is assuming the 1 year extension is from the end of the 90 days,
not, including the 90 days, is this correct ?)

Alternatively, could i get the 1 year extension after 90 days,
only use the 3 months of it i need (not bother getting reentry permit)
go to UK , then get a new visa to come back and repeat this process.
Would this cause a problem if i am getting a new visa while the
1 year extension is still officially running ?

An extra question on this, i can see that extensions and reentry permits
all take up a lot of space in your passport, what happens if it becomes
full while you are getting extensions, do you have to get a new visa for
the start of a new passport ?

I hope I have made myself clear, the options all get very complicated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

• Like 1

several of my friends go back on halftime basis for 6-7 months to Sweden and using their re entry permit.

No problem. just get an extension of stay like you say, buy a re entry permit and sail away.. You´re good...

glegolo

You could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from a non-o visa. The extension will start from the date the 90 days ends.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only on the date your apply for the extension or proof of 40k baht income.

After getting the extension you could get a re-entry permit that will valid for entry up to the date your extension ends. The fee for a single re-entry permit is 1000 baht or a multiple for 3800 baht.

You can stay out of the country for as long as you want to. You only have to be here to apply for a new extension near the end of it.

A extension uses about one page and a re-entry permit about half of page. With departure and entry stamps that would only be 2 pages used every year. If you needed to get a new passport you extension of stay and re-entry permit would be transferred to it.

I would just get a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visa when in the UK. Easily obtained by post from the London Embassy. You then only need to do a border run after 90 days. 

Getting an extension of stay every year could turn out to be more of a hassle.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

I would just get a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visa when in the UK. Easily obtained by post from the London Embassy. You then only need to do a border run after 90 days. 

Getting an extension of stay every year could turn out to be more of a hassle.

This kind of response is something that I have a hard time to agree with. Is it easier to go away from your home, go over the border to another country dealing with 2 immigration posts and spending often 1-2 days (at least) to do this every 90 days??

Or is it easier to just go to your local immigration apply for an "extension of stay" and then never have to leave the country, until it is time to go back home again?

Well those of my friends who are doing the later choice, have no complaints at least. They think it is a great suggestion, because they see they benefits NOT to have to do border-runs.... 

glegolo

8 hours ago, glegolo said:

This kind of response is something that I have a hard time to agree with. Is it easier to go away from your home, go over the border to another country dealing with 2 immigration posts and spending often 1-2 days (at least) to do this every 90 days??

For some people this could be easier — depending on their location. There are many border crossings where you can cross into the neighbouring country, and immediately turn around a re-enter Thailand. And some where you don’t need to get a visa for the other country.

I used to drive my friend to the Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar every 3 months. From picking him up to dropping him off took under 4 hours. Some people sit in immigration for longer than that getting extensions!

When I used to have to do visa runs I enjoyed a few days in Vientiane every few months.

The OP is only staying 6 months per year and would only need to do one border run per year. It would be a viable option for many.

• Like 1

Question re One-time re-entry permit (on retirement visa):  I will be returning to Chiang Mai from a trip to the USA on a Saturday, but have to fly down to Pattaya on the following Monday in the morning, and I will be there for 5 days before returning to Chinag Mai.  In other words, no time to visit Promenada to update my TM30 from the international trip.

My questions:

• Is there a time limit on updating the TM30...In other words, can I update it once I return from Pattaya (7 days after arriving from overseas)?

• Can I update the TM30 at Chon Buri (Pattaya) Immigration, even though I am living in Chiang Mai?

• Is Promenada still where you would do this, or has it moved to the new offices?

22 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Question re One-time re-entry permit (on retirement visa):  I will be returning to Chiang Mai from a trip to the USA on a Saturday, but have to fly down to Pattaya on the following Monday in the morning, and I will be there for 5 days before returning to Chinag Mai.  In other words, no time to visit Promenada to update my TM30 from the international trip.

My questions:

• Is there a time limit on updating the TM30...In other words, can I update it once I return from Pattaya (7 days after arriving from overseas)?

• Can I update the TM30 at Chon Buri (Pattaya) Immigration, even though I am living in Chiang Mai?

• Is Promenada still where you would do this, or has it moved to the new offices?

You don’t need to make a new TM.30 report until you return to Chiang Mai after staying in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Does Immigration have a specific time limit from the date of re-entry for reporting?

By law it should be made within 24 hours, but that doesn’t seem to be strictly enforced.

They will go by the date you put on the report.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Does Immigration have a specific time limit from the date of re-entry for reporting?

They will see you TM-6 showing you in CM, where you cleared immigration upon entry, but where/when you went from there is something else.  So, you passed-through CM on your way to Pattaya (while the office was closed), but are reporting returning to the CM jurisdiction immediately upon returning from Pattaya. 

As a CYA move, you might want to have a receipt from your flight ticket back handy.  You primarily need to demonstrate that you were not in CM the whole time, and showed up late to report - which they might suspect if you didn't have a receipt showing otherwise.

I have used a travel-receipt similarly, to show my arrival-date for a TM-30 at another office, when I did not go directly home after entering the country.  I'd be surprised if they were not happy with that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

They will see you TM-6 showing you in CM, where you cleared immigration upon entry, but where/when you went from there is something else.  So, you passed-through CM on your way to Pattaya (while the office was closed), but are reporting returning to the CM jurisdiction immediately upon returning from Pattaya. 

As a CYA move, you might want to have a receipt from your flight ticket back handy.  You primarily need to demonstrate that you were not in CM the whole time, and showed up late to report - which they might suspect if you didn't have a receipt showing otherwise.

I have used a travel-receipt similarly, to show my arrival-date for a TM-30 at another office, when I did not go directly home after entering the country.  I'd be surprised if they were not happy with that. 

So, basically if I report to Imm in Chiang Mai 7 days after my international arrival, and have airline r/t ticket stubs for Pattaya with me, I'll stay in the good graces of Imm?

Oh, and is this still done at Promenada, or has that moved to the new location?

41 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

So, basically if I report to Imm in Chiang Mai 7 days after my international arrival, and have airline r/t ticket stubs for Pattaya with me, I'll stay in the good graces of Imm?

A TM.30 report is reporting that you are staying at an address, not that you have arrived in the country. Don't worry about reporting the few days you're staying in CM when you first return. Just submit a report when you return from Pattaya. Keep it simple. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Oh, and is this still done at Promenada, or has that moved to the new location?

That is my best advice - given I've done similar at another office (which is strict on TM-30s). 

Every office is allowed to make up its own rules, and change them at any time without notice, but I would be surprised if they tried to fine you for not reporting when their office was not open, if you report immediately upon returning from Pattaya, and presenting evidence you just returned (flight ticket), if asked for it. 

I'm not familiar with CM office-locations/services, as I have not lived there.  Hopefully someone else can chime-in with that info.

Edited by JackThompson

Assuming you are staying  at a hotel in Pattaya they should make the report for you there just as is done for any tourist. When you return to CM to I assume your own or rented accommodation make your own report there. 

Edited by Geordie59
Spelling