Immigration Money Issue

i read most of the thing in the immigration site http://www.thaiimmigration.com most of the time is alway the husband that support the wife in Thailand, the men that need to transfer money from abroad to prove that we can live-on with-out working, what if the wife is the bread and butter of the family, she make good money to support the family (let say above average income), he stay home and take care of the kid, he don't work, how would he prove to immigration that he is being support by the wife and that he doesn't work, well there are other way to do so by she give him the money send it out of Thailand to foreign bank and transfer back to Thailand from foreign bank problem solve on the money issue, but by doing that transfering fee is a killing, waste of money for nothing, how is one to prove that the wife is supporting the family.

im not to good at writting but if some should ask on the immigration site maybe you can ask about this. :o

I've not thought of the idea, but then i'm slow 2. Perhaps the idea of a Thai wife supporting a foreign husband or is it boyfriend sounds a good critical question to ask Thaiimmigration.com. So, any takers? :D

Thaimee. :o

They don't want the a Thai female to support a foreign male, it is not allowed under Thailand's racist immigration laws

is it written anywhere in the law book or just word of mouth, im very curious about this situation.

They don't want the a Thai female to support a foreign male, it is not allowed under Thailand's racist immigration laws

is it written anywhere in the law book or just word of mouth, im very curious about this situation.

It is a cultural thing.

I've not thought of the idea, but then i'm slow 2. Perhaps the idea of a Thai wife supporting a foreign husband or is it boyfriend sounds a good critical question to ask Thaiimmigration.com. So, any takers? :D

Thaimee. :o

a thai wife supporting a farang is a ludicrous concept in my book

It is a cultural thing.

Cultural maybe, BUT

there are many women in high positions in business,

do their husbands have equal positions?

The world has changed already........ wake up immigration.

It is a cultural thing.

Cultural maybe, BUT

there are many women in high positions in business,

do their husbands have equal positions?

The world has changed already........ wake up immigration.

Are you going to go and tell them to mend their ways Astral ?

• 4 weeks later...

But how about if you put that 400,000 on a Thai bank account from abroad and you just leave it on the account for prove again next year?

In other words, can you get a support wife-marriage visa having no work in Thailand as you didn't apply for a work permit either. :o

get her to put the 400,000baht in your account.

In my imagination she has more than that loose in the bottom of her purse. I had a few thoughts about marrying Dr Thaksin's daughter, but the good doctor licenses 007 police to shoot to kill, and having regard to my morals I'd be destined to take a round or two.

I would like to know officialy if there is an answer to this "can a falang be supported by his Thai wife"

I'm married, and next year could find the 400, 000 no prob but we have a buisseness in my wifes name, which provides well over the 40,000 a month, I'm wondering can we use this as proof of Income.

Just a bit of background, my wife had 34 rai of land whan we married and her mother 30, which she signed over to the wife when we married, the mother-in-law also gave us a house (nobody'd lived in it for 7 years), my wife and myself have already discussed what to do if we have any probs with my visa. i/e sell up and go back home, not that it will come to that, but it would be a lot easier just to show the income.

Does the bank account have to be in my name?, at the moment we have a joint one.

If we did sell up this would then deprive the local community of much needed income, we have 6 people working for us, and own the local shop.

A wife can support a foreign husband but it is not common and the wife would have to prove funds/ability. Check this link and then click on Number 2:

http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/application.html#02

I posted the above to another thread today and you might want to view it and read the last paragraph. Yes, a wife can support a husband but it is not likely to be approved - so only way to find out for sure would be apply.

get her to put the 400,000baht in your account.

With the 400,000 baht into your account , dont you have to prove it came from overseas ??

My future wife/family is worth a tidy sum, it would so much more easier if she could be the one support/sponser me.

But how about if you put that 400,000 on a Thai bank account from abroad and you just leave it on the account for prove again next year?
i don't think you can do that, they want to see the money actually being transfer in from abroad yearly, the money sitting there will not work, that what i know

this is exactly what im talking about

With the 400,000 baht into your account , dont you have to prove it came from overseas

putting in 400k or more is not a problem, but they wanted to see it came from over sea.

I've never know imagration to check where the money came from, as long as you have a letter from your bank stating how much is in there, they have been quite happy.

A friend of mine went to do his marrige visa extension and did not have the 200,000 they told him to to borrow it of someone, put it in the bank, get the letter , then give it back.

I know what the law states, but this is just my experiance.

Pretty confusing. Seems like (some) immigration officers keep one eye closed, or are allowed from above to keep one eye closed on this matter. If suddenly the government feels like the situation is getting out of hand, they still have the law to fall back on and do whatever they want. So the one who got "lucky" at first, might get in trouble when government feels it got out of hand.

On the other hand, if you know the right people in the right places or have friendly contacts with other influential people you might have nothing to worry about. We all know "family"in Thai society is something sacred and nepotism is the most common thing here.

Or you think I am totally wrong here and talking b*lls**t? :o

Looking at this issue from immigrations point of view, being policemen charged with enforcing the law and having a "law enforcement" mentality, immigration officers have stated publicly that review of a bank book provided by a farang seeking a permit extention is done to determine if the farang is working illegally in Thailand and whether farang has sufficient assests to live in Thailand for a year, absent a work permit.l

Thus, the funds must be obtained from overseas, not from Thailand and routine withdrawals of living expenses throughout the year should appear.

This was a big issue when I got my first one year extention, but subsequently, they don't seem to pay that much attention, although I brought a lot more than required when I first came here and have yet to transfer additional funds from abroad.

I am sure individual policemen enforce the law differently and pursue the issue with varying degrees of effort. Thus if one farang "got away with it one time", only the foolhardy would rely on this nformation to make their decisions, especially if it flies in the face of a clear cut regulation.

Looking at this issue from immigrations point of view, being policemen charged with enforcing the law and having a "law enforcement" mentality, immigration officers have stated publicly that review of a bank book provided by a farang seeking a permit extention is done to determine if the farang is working illegally in Thailand and whether farang has sufficient assests to live in Thailand for a year, absent a work permit.l

Thus, the funds must be obtained from overseas, not from Thailand and routine withdrawals of living expenses throughout the year should appear.

This was a big issue when I got my first one year extention, but subsequently, they don't seem to pay that much attention, although I brought a lot more than required when I first came here and have yet to transfer additional funds from abroad.

I am sure individual policemen enforce the law differently and pursue the issue with varying degrees of effort. Thus if one farang "got away with it one time", only the foolhardy would rely on this nformation to make their decisions, especially if it flies in the face of a clear cut regulation.

Very well stated. From discussions I have had with local (Pattaya) Immigration officers, they do want to see the bank book as well as the bank letter. The bank book has codes that show whether the money is locally or overseas tramsferred. And there has to be 'x' amount transferred-in each year, not just the same amount sitting there.

I tried to get an early acceptance of my application for extension of 'O' visa, for support of Thai wife, but they wouldn't accept it before 30 days from date of expiry. o I moved from the 200k to the 400k category for money-in-the-bank. And in the meantime my wife has started building a house in Chaiyaphum and depleted the reserves. So now I am travelling out again to try to get a one-year 'O' multiple entry so that I have time to save the money. The other requirement, 800k being transferred in annually, is no problem. Just trying to persuade my wife to leave some of it there is the problem! :o

Up2U:

800k being transferred in annually

I know you didn't mean to say that!!

I just changed banks and opened two accounts, one for the majority of my money in Thailand and another into which is transferred automatically every month my monthly budgeted living expense money.

The main account is accessable via ATM, (and only I know the password) and the spending money account with a debit card ( with other half knowing the password) for the other. I am comfortable turning over the debit card for their shopping needs. as the limit is only one month expenses, lest family pressure is so great a "loan" is made, as has occured in the past.

It is my "take" on immigrations reluctance to re-issue anything until just before it becoming due to their effort to reduce work, as accelerating of dates just increases work and perhaps there is a tickler system in place we don't know about. With computers, that should be a dead issue.

To state the obvious, there really don't seem to be any hard & fast rules regarding visas and immigration. I opened a bank account partly cash but mostly with money transferred from my Thai wife's bank account. When Immigration gave me my Type O visa extension, they didn't seem to care where the money came from, but they did want to see more than the bank passbook, they wanted the certified letter from the bank confirming the amount!