Mai Khao’s ‘West Sands’ British CEO being quizzed by police following last week’s death on Thepkasattri Road

webfact

Mai Khao’s ‘West Sands’ CEO being quizzed by police following last week’s death on Thepkasattri Road

By The Thaiger

4988122-6269215-image-m-16_1539350273439

PHOTO: Facebook.com – Paul John Mercer

The British CEO of a luxury hotel along Mai Khao Beach in Phuket, is going to be quizzed by police in Phuket after running over and killing a roadside scavenger in his luxury Mercedes last week.

The British expat is being investigated by Thai police after his Mercedes-Benz ploughed into the rubbish collector, killing the man instantly and scattering his body over the road.

Paul John Mercer, CEO of CCD Thailand, an international developer of luxury hotels, allegedly struck the unidentified man as he was pushing his rubbish cart along Thepkasattri Road in Phuket early Wednesday morning. His body was dragged 40 metres along the road, according to the police report. At this stage Police have not been able to identify the deceased man.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/mai-khaos-west-sands-ceo-being-quizzed-by-police-following-last-weeks-death-on-thepkasattri-road

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-10-16

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A man who made a fatal mistake, I've been close countless times, you always say I won't drive again, pissed but we always do, im not speaking just for him I'm speaking for all of us that constantly drink and drive, I'm a **** for it and I don't deny it, promise meself that's it, especially after graphic videos, and I stop for a while then its the old just a few beers or its only round the corner, 2 great kids love them to bits, but i put myself first where's the love in that?

26 minutes ago, WhiteTrash said:

A man who made a fatal mistake, I've been close countless times, you always say I won't drive again, pissed but we always do, im not speaking just for him I'm speaking for all of us that constantly drink and drive, I'm a **** for it and I don't deny it, promise meself that's it, especially after graphic videos, and I stop for a while then its the old just a few beers or its only round the corner, 2 great kids love them to bits, but i put myself first where's the love in that?

Like me, you'll hopefully have your epiphany. Just hoping that it doesn't cost you too much, unlike mine.

26 minutes ago, WhiteTrash said:

well, I do hope hope that my family, the greater population and your own family,  are nowhere near you whilst you are trying to navigate the roads in your selfish, negligent and irresponsible manner.                   Get some help, you need it!

The police are no doubt stunned by the good luck that just fell into their laps. A grisly horrific death, a rich (alleged) perpetrator, and a farang…a once-in-a-lifetime deal. They’ve got a live one here and they’ll be soaking it for all it’s worth.

A handful of posters have assumed that because the incident happened at 5am the British driver must have been drinking.... There is no comment on this in any of the reports. 

Being the CEO of a hotel he could have been getting to work early... there is no comment on this in the report either. 

Incidents like this definitely require BAC of the driver to be checked. 

What isn't mentioned is whether or not the homeless man was in the road and unlit.

It is reported that the body was dragged 40m or more accurately it took the driver 40m to stop the car which doesn't seem excessive when considering reaction time then breaking distance. However, the 'gore' and 'splatter' apparent inside the car implied fairly significant impact also implied by the reports of dismemberment. 

I hope the truth comes out. 

1 hour ago, WhiteTrash said:

Think a bit more about your kids, they need guidance and love and care from both their mother and a father, it's your responsibility.

Is your dead or in jail the kids are the ones who get the most punishment, think about it. 

13 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

R.I.P. to the Thai man, but where does it say the driver was drunk? Maybe he was, but innocent until proven otherwise,

well nobody with all faculties about them would deliberately drive into a person pushing his rubbish cart. 

Just now, Percy P said:
26 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

R.I.P. to the Thai man, but where does it say the driver was drunk? Maybe he was, but innocent until proven otherwise,

well nobody with all faculties about them would deliberately drive into a person pushing his rubbish cart. 

equally so, nobody with all their faculties would deliberately cross a 3 lane highway in the dark with a car approaching.

Looking at the photos it would appear that the Merc was being driven down the middle lane (of the 3 lane highway - of course, this may not be so), but this accident may have been pretty much unavoidable in the dark unless the Merc driver chose to drive at 10kmh)... 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Like me, you'll hopefully have your epiphany. Just hoping that it doesn't cost you too much, unlike mine.

In this case the epiphany cost some poor innocent soul his life. Alcohol should be banned the same as drugs...it kills, hurts and terrorises millions of hapless victims and abusers alike annually around the globe. But its big business so it doesn't get banned!

17 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

In this case the epiphany cost some poor innocent soul his life. Alcohol should be banned the same as drugs...it kills, hurts and terrorises millions of hapless victims and abusers alike annually around the globe. But its big business so it doesn't get banned!

But is is already either regulated, banned or otherwise heavily proscribed against with regard to concurrently operating a motor vehicle. No need to go all Taliban on the safe, social drinker now is there?

Having said that, America's experiment in prohibition worked out so well for them didn't it?

1 hour ago, WhiteTrash said:

Recognizing the fact is a good initial step in the road to changing the habit. There again the traffic and buffoons we encounter on the roads are enough to drive a man to drink!! If it is just around the corner try walking or get someone to drop you.

????

If you can drive(pay) a luxury mercedes like that thai price , you should pay wether the dead man has family or not . If no family is coming forward , they should let him pay the fine anyway, and put the money towards homeless children, or other drunk or hit and run driving victims . To me , jailtime and fine ,drunk or not teach all those reckless drivers a lesson .

17 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

If he is the driver then he should be in jail for murder. Anyone travelling fast enough to tear a body apart was driving at a speed that was bloody rediculous.

Agreed!  I am si ck and tired of hearing these sad and unnecessary deaths. Was the driver immediately detained and if so, was a BAC test performed? Did he stop at all? Unfortunately, there always seems to be deficient facts and/or looking the other way for whatever reason. A human life that is suddenly squelched  and minimized in this country is a BIG problem. Social conscience has gone down the tubes everywhere it seems. Pathetic. I await with bated  breath  to see the consequences of the Brit driver. 

4 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

. To me , jailtime and fine ,drunk or not teach all those reckless drivers a lesson .

I agree...unless examples are made of careless incidents, people will continue with their desensitization. Oh well - what's another life worth? Remember the fall of the Roman empire...                                                                                       

Archived