Mai Khao’s ‘West Sands’ British CEO being quizzed by police following last week’s death on Thepkasattri Road

webfact

1 hour ago, nycjoe said:

That is one thing that Uber is good for, if you are going out and drinking and there is Uber in your area, put them to use.

Uber no longer in Thailand. The company is Grab. Cheaper than metered taxis. Sometimes they cancel after accepting your book, but hey, licensed taxis often drive off once you tell them where your want to go, and that's illegal!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nycjoe said:

That is one thing that Uber is good for, if you are going out and drinking and there is Uber in your area, put them to use.

They have Uber in Phuket, and the Taxi Mafia don't mind???????

1 minute ago, Jiggo said:

They have Uber in Phuket, and the Taxi Mafia don't mind???????

Exactly! Yet another separate issue. The "mafia" taxis have created  this animosity towards any Uber drivers (a minimum for sure). If" their meters were working and they didn't attempt to  scam tourists, then the issue  (and bad image) would go away.  People create their mess because they have no clue how to act reasonably, fairly, and without hot heads.

3 hours ago, WhiteTrash said:

A man who made a fatal mistake, I've been close countless times, you always say I won't drive again, pissed but we always do, im not speaking just for him I'm speaking for all of us that constantly drink and drive, I'm a **** for it and I don't deny it, promise meself that's it, especially after graphic videos, and I stop for a while then its the old just a few beers or its only round the corner, 2 great kids love them to bits, but i put myself first where's the love in that?

I used to have the same problem but I realized that unless you are an alchoholic that it is not the booze that is a problem.  It is the need to be around other people to have a good time.  Try to find fun elsewhere and the booze will vanish of its own accord.

If no relative comes forward to claim relationship with the victim, Mr Mercer could get away with not having to pay any compensation.”

So THIS is the problem, he will get away with not having to pay anything! We alwais going back there Farang have to pay... Xenophobic and racist speech...

3 minutes ago, car720 said:

I used to have the same problem but I realized that unless you are an alchoholic that it is not the booze that is a problem.  It is the need to be around other people to have a good time.  Try to find fun elsewhere and the booze will vanish of its own accord.

Excellent point...not to be a  Prohibitionist at all.  So many places in the world have alcohol (not all) as a common leisure activity. No way of getting around it,  but always a personal choice just how much that matters to you. It's always harder to find those alternatives...on one hand people DO want to socialize- it's human to want that. But it always varies as to how alcohol can affect people. It always boils down to this...if alcohol is affecting your life where negative consequences make you hang your head the next day (if you remember), then it's worth  a step back.  And I'm not preaching as I have been there before.  Alcohol is so rampant as I said before. I agree with the writer of the quoted post to" find fun elsewhere", but again it's easier said than done for a variety of reasons.

But  let's not forget the basis  of this story. Hopefully, it will be determined whether the driver was inebriated, but I won't hold my breath as to proof of that.In the mean time, I have sadness for yet another human being losing their life. My brother was killed by a hit and run driver in Florida, so obviously I have some emotion attached to this story.

3 hours ago, WhiteTrash said:

A man who made a fatal mistake, I've been close countless times, you always say I won't drive again, pissed but we always do, im not speaking just for him I'm speaking for all of us that constantly drink and drive, I'm a **** for it and I don't deny it, promise meself that's it, especially after graphic videos, and I stop for a while then its the old just a few beers or its only round the corner, 2 great kids love them to bits, but i put myself first where's the love in that?

So he was drunk huh, if you know so much better get in touch with the police. Or have another Leo and  .... :thumbsup:

Whit Trash

As you know taxis are reasonable in Thailand and there are tuk tuk's and motorcycle taxis that are very reasonable, so there is no need to take your car to the pub. It is so callous and irrisponsible for you to think that you have any right to get in to (what will be) a "lethal weapon" without your proper faculties. I hope the police catch you sooner than later for all the victims of drink driving's sake.

6 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

So he was drunk huh, if you know so much better get in touch with the police. Or have another Leo and  .... :thumbsup:

And you actually think that the investigation will be fair? The police should be getting in touch with any family of the deceased and investigating (if they have the skills to do so). Don't worry about people reporting something when they were not there.

9 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Whit Trash

As you know taxis are reasonable in Thailand and there are tuk tuk's and motorcycle taxis that are very reasonable, so there is no need to take your car to the pub. It is so callous and irrisponsible for you to think that you have any right to get in to (what will be) a "lethal weapon" without your proper faculties. I hope the police catch you sooner than later for all the victims of drink driving's sake.

Instead of agreed upon advice, let's focus on the Brit who tore apart the helpless victim. Should he have taken a taxi if in fact he was inebriated? That's the crux of the story.

There are a lot of assumptions made.  How about a dose of reality first;

- So what if he was driving a Mercedes? I expect that it was leased and charged to the "business".

- Calling the hotel "luxurious" is a bit of a stretch, based upon what is available for viewing.

- In Thailand, how many foreigners at the age of 33 are CEO's of large hospitality operations? What special education or skill set  did this  man possess?  Was he an industry visionary?  A leader in the hospitality world? Now ask yourself, outside of the big chains, who typically operates  a business which generates a lot of money turnover? Who are the people who like these kinds of businesses?

I don't know.  ???? Do you?

He must have been very, very, very special.  Very much so.

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

There are a lot of assumptions made.  How about a dose of reality first;

And what is the dose? Should we rely upon an historically inept police force  when investigating these all-too-common incidents? So what do you think the reality is?

Here's my reality...even though the facts are sketchy, some poor (probably literal) person was collecting whatever to sustain his life. If that is indeed true, then  my impression of this tragedy is even more saddened. because a person- perhaps down on his luck was doing his best to survive. I have driven enough - even with  low-lit streets and that's why cars have headlights. Most  of the time, if one is doing the speed limit, then even darkened roads should not be an excuse for hitting either an  animal or a person.  I understand that people get distracted...unfortunately that happens a lot in Thailand. But if I were the Brit in question, then I would have to ask my conscience these things instead of picking up the  phone  and calling for a good lawyer. JMO.

If the story is correct and  the fatality description is accurate as  far as physical damage to the deceased,  the logic would indicate excessive speed. I could be wrong, but sometimes logic suffices if forensic evidence is lacking.                                                                                                                                                                                 

When you just made an accident where you killed somebody, and the first thing you're doing is deleting your social media pictures where we can see you driving at fast speed says a lot about you...

Edit : This picture was deleted the day of the accident, where he was supposedly not able, to answer questions from the police

43673007_569998813457585_2856770361331023872_n.png

1 hour ago, mizou198 said:

When you just made an accident where you killed somebody, and the first thing you're doing is deleting your social media pictures where we can see you driving at fast speed says a lot about you...

And the lawyers you have just hired.

5 hours ago, WhiteTrash said:

you always say I won't drive again, pissed but we always do

You're in the minority there. I've not heard such ridiculous self-pity in over twenty years. And there's especially no excuse in LoS with

the plethora of public transport to hand.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since the unidentified vagrant won't have any grieving next of kin to compensate, the payments should be comparatively small regardless of it happening on the self-styled gem of island venality.

Did not have...

The smell of money, pity he is not alive to find out how big a family he has.

36 minutes ago, swanny321 said:

You're in the minority there. I've not heard such ridiculous self-pity in over twenty years. And there's especially no excuse in LoS with

the plethora of public transport to hand.

There are many from other regions posting here who seem to have little concept of the abysmal public transport options on Phuket. Most expats here have their own transport.

Having said that, the driver seems to have the means to hire a chauffeur to take the reins of the Merc when on a night out. 

6 hours ago, WhiteTrash said:

Vey honest post WhiteTrash.  In Thailand getting taxies or a tuk-tuk  or just a ride are very easy and cheap.  Don't risk your family life for the sake of a few baht.

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

There are a few comments on here indicating that the driver was drunk as yet I have to see a Thai report claiming this was the case or are people jumping the gun and assuming he was drunk .

This is Thaigeezer- assumption is a basic requirement when composing a post! ????

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

There are a few comments on here indicating that the driver was drunk as yet I have to see a Thai report claiming this was the case or are people jumping the gun and assuming he was drunk .

We will see the blood test from the Hospital. But at 4.40am, there are a lot of chance to meet on the road a hard worker who get up early, a party goer who come back from the bar/night club or a monk maybe...

My opinion, and from what i've seen on his social media profiles, leaves only little doubt about the answer. 

Another farang perhaps not keeping a low profile and showing off a bit to much his money made in Thailand....he will be picked like a goose by the authorites and end up with holes in his pocket, unfortunately....sad, but always keep a low profile in this country, especially if you are rich.

And let's not forget that a man was killed here...

Archived